Gazelle paying up to $350 cash for old iPhones if you act now; doesn't need them 'til Oct 10

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
If you're looking to mitigate the cost of upgrading to Apple's 'iPhone 6' by getting the most cash possible for your current iPhone, buyback service Gazelle has just launched its most aggressive price-lock promotion yet: up to $350 for your old iPhone if you lock in a price quote today (and you don't need to send it in until Oct. 10 -- long after the iPhone 6 is expected on the market).

Lock in a cash offer for your iPhone 5S now

Extended Price Lock
Between now and Sept. 9, existing iPhone owners can lock in a top-tier price quote over at Gazelle.com. And this year the company is upping its price-lock window from the historical 30 days to over 50 days in order to make sure consumers can purchase and set up their new 'iPhone 6' long before having to drop their old iPhone into the mail. Gazelle says anyone who locks in a quote before the Sept. 9 will have until Oct. 10 to send theirs in.

Why now is the Best Time
Trade-in values typically drop 20 percent in the 60 days around the introduction of a new model, with much of that dip transpiring from 20 days before the unveiling to 20 days afterwards, as can be seen in graphic provided by Gazelle (above). Therefore consumers who plan to purchase an 'iPhone 6' right after it's announced and then sell their old iPhone should consider locking in a rate now, when buyback offers are at their peak. There's no downside to locking in an offer now, given that you are not bound to send your device in if you later choose not to, and can always lock in a higher rate later with the same -- or alternative service -- if a better offer presents itself.

How Much will I Get?
As can be seen in our Trade-In Price Guide that tracks the prices buyback services are willing to pay for used Apple devices, Gazelle this week is offering up to $120 for an iPhone 4S, up to $205 for an iPhone 5, up to $195 for an iPhone 5c, and up to $350 for an iPhone 5s. It's also the buyback service that has thus far proven to be the quickest, most reliable and hassle free for consumers over the past few years, which has helped make it the nation's leading consumer electronics trade-in service with more than 2 million trade-ins processed -- and $175 million paid out -- to date.

So How Does it Work?

Step 1: To begin the process, identify your current iPhone from Gazelle's website (by selecting your model, carrier and capacity) and then quickly assess its condition -- broken, good, or flawless.

Lock in a cash offer for your iPhone 5S now

(If you have an AT&T iPhone, Gazelle will also present the extra step of asking if you're submitting your phone locked or unlocked. An unlocked phone means more cash, and most?AT&T customers will be eligible to unlock their old phone?after upgrading to 'iPhone 6.' It's easy, here's how.)

Gazelle Trade-in Boxes

Step 2: If you don't already have a Gazelle account to log into, you'll be asked to quickly register by providing an email and password. You can then select you prefer to be paid: by PayPal, check, or in the form of an Amazon Gift Card. Alternatively, you can donate the proceeds from the sale of your iPhone to a charity of choice.

Gazelle Trade-in Boxes

Gazelle will then ask for your address so that it can send you a pre-paid shipping box that you can use to submit your iPhone when you're ready. Alternatively, you can choose to have Gazelle email you a pre-paid shipping label and you can affix it to your own box.

Step 3: Within days, the pre-paid shipping box will show up on your doorstep. Sometime before Oct 10th, simply place your old device in the box and send it off to Gazelle. (You don't need to send in any chords or power plugs, just the device itself.)

Gazelle Trade-in Boxes

Once your device is received, Gazelle will completely wipe the personal data off your phone by returning it to its original factory settings. It will then pay you via Paypal, email (for an Amazon Gift Card), or issue a check for the cash value of the device you locked in today. The offer in recent years has become an increasingly popular way consumers to afford upgrading each year to Apple's latest handset by offsetting the cost of those new devices with the cash they make from selling their old iPhones during peak buyback season.

Still, a study published as recently as this February found that iPhone upgraders as a whole are still leaving nearly $13.5 billion worth of devices in dresser drawers to collect dust.

Like iPhones, Gazelle also pays out hundreds for your old iPads and MacBooks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Good deal for Gazelle, not so much for iPhone owners. Gazelle is offering me $190 for my iPhone 5 32GB. Just checked recently sold items on eBay, and the same unlocked phone sells for over $350.
  • Reply 2 of 28

Fair enough. Although, I've sold my last 4 iPhones on eBay, and never had trouble. Just be sure to fully describe any scratches, dents, etc and take lots of pictures. You're right — if you describe it "as new" and it has signs of wear, eBay will stand behind the buyer. That's a good thing.

• Reply 3 of 28
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator

Some people honestly don't have the time or desire to hassle with auction websites (eBay). With Gazelle, it takes about a minute to lock in a quote and pre-paid box shows up on your door almost instantly. All you have to do is drop the phone in the box when you're ready and mail it off. They even wipe all your data for you if you haven't taken the time to do so before you mail it in. So the total time commitment to getting cash for your phone from Gazelle amounts to a few minutes, compared to what may be hours on eBay. They also don't hassle with you over the condition of the device as long as it is functional. Some other buyback services are not as hassle free. But it's a matter of preference how you want to sell your device. Everyones situation is different.

• Reply 4 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Craigslist works better for me than eBay. It's free, local, and you get top dollar. I tell the buyer to meet me in the lobby of my credit union. This eliminates the possibility of being mugged, and allows me to have the cash checked before handing over the phone. There's also coffee, comfortable couches, and air conditioning! A very pleasant way to do business.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Gazelle is a rip off. A excellent condition T-mobile iPhone 5S gold has a trade-in value of 363 dollars at Amazon right now. The same phone has a value of 230 at Gazelle. Even if it drops 20% in value 60 days after the new iPhone is released, Amazon still pays 288 for the same phone. I don't know why Appleinsider is advertising this POS deal.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I wonder why Gazelle gives only 230 for T-mobile phones?
    Its a full $100 less than AT&T phones

Just a wild guess, less demand / slower turn over maybe?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    but aren't they the same phones once they are unlocked?

Sorry, no idea ...
  • Reply 8 of 28
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member

Are you sure they will really honor the price once you send your iPhone in?

They could create 100 different excuses to lower their initial appraisal once your iPhone is in their possession.

• Reply 9 of 28
    kasper wrote: »
    Some people honestly don't have the time or desire to hassle with auction websites (eBay). With Gazelle, it takes about a minute to lock in a quote and pre-paid box shows up on your door almost instantly. All you have to do is drop the phone in the box when you're ready and mail it off. They even wipe all your data for you if you haven't taken the time to do so before you mail it in. So the total time commitment to getting cash for your phone from Gazelle amounts to a few minutes, compared to what may be hours on eBay. They also don't hassle with you over the condition of the device as long as it is functional. Some other buyback services are not as hassle free. But it's a matter of preference how you want to sell your device. Everyones situation is different.

So is this is a sponsored ad, Kaspar? I can't tell if there are any disclaimers because I'm viewing this on mobile.

How about comparisons with all of the other Gazelle competitor sites, plus Amazon thrown in for good measure? There is a much larger market for used iPhones now.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I don't sell my old iPhones. I unlock them through AT&T and use them for two more years as an international phone with a local sim. Then I give them to someone in our circle who needs a better phone and it will probably last another two years.

• Reply 11 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Just a wild guess, less demand / slower turn over maybe?

I think they use a different LTE frequency so, probably as you say, less demand.

• Reply 12 of 28

That is not the point. Even if you compare the At&t and Verizon variants, Amazon pays a much higher price than Gazelle.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    I've never figured out what Gazelle does with all those phones. I know there's a market which you can see by going on eBay. But that's a *lot* of phones to resell, so I doubt they want to resell them one by one. Is there a bulk way for them to sell pallet loads of iPhones somewhere? Asia perhaps?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Mark View Post

Good deal for Gazelle, not so much for iPhone owners. Gazelle is offering me $190 for my iPhone 5 32GB. Just checked recently sold items on eBay, and the same unlocked phone sells for over $350.

You forgot about eBay fees and other sh.t which cost you another $50. I'd rather do Craigslist for $300.

• Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

only problem is you need to deal with the a-holes on Ebay who will argue that the phone you sent them has a few scratches.

Plus ebay fees (about 10%)

Plus chance of getting scammed.

Labor to take pictures of phone, sell it, ect.

Need to ship product, ect.

Ebay $350

Less $35 fees

Less $60 labor ( 2 hours at $30 hr)

Less $30 scam risk

Ebay net - $225

So is it worth all the trouble for an extra $35?

What kind of labor that costs 2 hrs? Let me see: packaging and drop at the post office (you have to do these with Gazelle anyway) which should take 15". I would say to add $20 shipping cost + insurance on top of $35. That's all.

Scam risk? You won't ship until the PayPal receives money.

• Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I've never figured out what Gazelle does with all those phones. I know there's a market which you can see by going on eBay. But that's a *lot* of phones to resell, so I doubt they want to resell them one by one. Is there a bulk way for them to sell pallet loads of iPhones somewhere? Asia perhaps?

You forgot that there are many third world countries. Some people will buy a bulk from Gazelle with higher price. Gazelle doesn't and won't ever do the retails. 

• Reply 17 of 28
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quanster View Post

Gazelle is a rip off. A excellent condition T-mobile iPhone 5S gold has a trade-in value of 363 dollars at Amazon right now. The same phone has a value of 230 at Gazelle. Even if it drops 20% in value 60 days after the new iPhone is released, Amazon still pays 288 for the same phone. I don't know why Appleinsider is advertising this POS deal.

But IIRC Amazon only gives credit, not cash, son their only attractive to those that spend that sort of money with Amazon. That's a substantial number I'm sure but it's not everyone. I prefer actual cash myself. I've used gazelle for maybe 4 iPhones and an iPad 3 and they've always paid what they offered with no hassles. And in each and every case my estimation was based on "flawless".

• Reply 18 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    what the hell... is this a sponsored post? the lengthy details copy seems straight out of their website or something.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Yeah I prefer glued.com myself. Just got a $305 quote for Verizon iPhone 5, black 64GB
  • Reply 20 of 28
    If your interested in raising cash from your used tablets check out Buyback Boys. Our pricing tends to be higher than the major sites as we can keep our costs down compared to some of the bigger guys that buyback everything under the sun.