Apple's holiday-themed 'Misunderstood' iPhone ad wins Emmy for 'Most Outstanding Commercial'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I must be the only one who didn't like this....

I'm sure others didn't like it. It's just that no one cares.

• Reply 42 of 79

The advertising industry has more self congratulatory awards and contests than any other, by far outpacing every alternative group with the exception of Hollywood --that other collective of massively insecure creatives who need constant reassurance that their creativity is valued by somebody somewhere.

• Reply 43 of 79
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So where are all the clowns that say Apple ads suck?

Yup. It sucks. Samsung "Wall Huggers" should've won...lol.

• Reply 44 of 79
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Don't we all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

The advertising industry has more self congratulatory awards and contests than any other, by far outpacing every alternative group with the exception of Hollywood --that other collective of massively insecure creatives who need constant reassurance that their creativity is valued by somebody somewhere.

Don't we all?

• Reply 45 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Looks like what worked?

Competition. As I understand the arrangement they didn't get dropped, just they now compete for projects with the in-house group.

• Reply 46 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Yup. It sucks. Samsung "Wall Huggers" should've won...lol.

An ad that alienates potential customers by deriding them?

Not really. Unless it's secretly an HTC ad and they're scapegoating Sam.

And I doubt that as Sam has a long history going after Apple's customers that way: they're either old or stupid or mindless "wall huggers", so it's all in a fine tradition....

• Reply 47 of 79
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It was ok but it was contrived to make you think the teen was socially disengaged. They didn't show him actually using the camera or editing the clips so a person not familiar with how iMovie or Airplay actually works wouldn't get it. I prefer the ads that demonstrate the features more clearly. 

hello? that was the whole point of the ad -- to make you think he was being a brat, but then being surprised with what a wonderful sentimental gift he gave to whole family. and it's true -- ive done the exact same thing while visiting my family. the tools are easy and they work.

showing him working in the apps would be absurd. it was not a youtube tutorial. 

• Reply 48 of 79
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Taking photos and short amateur videos with a smartphone is pretty routine. Putting together a professional looking multi-clip edited video is a different situation altogether. My complaint with the ad is that instead of showing the exciting features of the iPhone they create a dark emotional drama about a troubled teen, then surprise you at the end. The complete video capturing and editing process is hidden to build the wayward son drama. I much prefer the Apple ads that show people having fun using the devices.

apple does those, too. im failing to understand why NO ad can be one on the net effect of using the tools rather than showing the tools. especially since they, you know, won an emmy for it.

• Reply 49 of 79
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

The Christmas ad is moody and sulky.

It just amazes me how people can misunderstand a title called "Misunderstood". Really.

• Reply 50 of 79
    Quote:

So where are all the clowns that say Apple ads suck?

In a Stephen King novel.

• Reply 51 of 79
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

It was ok but it was contrived to make you think the teen was socially disengaged. They didn't show him actually using the camera or editing the clips so a person not familiar with how iMovie or Airplay actually works wouldn't get it. I prefer the ads that demonstrate the features more clearly. 

hello? that was the whole point of the ad -- to make you think he was being a brat, but then being surprised with what a wonderful sentimental gift he gave to whole family. and it's true -- ive done the exact same thing while visiting my family. the tools are easy and they work.

showing him working in the apps would be absurd. it was not a youtube tutorial. 

I'm guessing this guy isn't from the US. It seems the premise of this film just shot right by him.

Everybody is entitled to their own taste, but this guy just didn't even get it (what's referred to as "the hook" or "the bit" of the ad). (As I say; maybe a cultural thing?)

• Reply 52 of 79

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I must be the only one who didn't like this....

Pretty much :P

All acting is contrived; that's kind of the point.

• Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I only disliked the errors in continuity regarding the ratio of the recorded video compared to how the kid was seen holding it.

But I’m a stickler. :p 

Is anyone else finding that emojis are displaying as a question mark?

With X X.X, Apple should solve the Continuity problem.

• Reply 54 of 79
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Sure, he was putting together the video but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't really interacting with them. 

It was titled Misunderstood, so they couldn't really show how the iPhone video editing would have actually taken place. In the real world, the teen would have been interacting with the family to get the shots for the video. Your points are all well noted, but in this case the director of this ad wanted us to believe he was reclusive in order to have the big surprise ending. In reality, the teen would have had elevated social status in the family because everyone would have known he was making a movie of them.

• Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Looks like what worked?

Apple told TBWA to get their sheet together.

And TBWA made a great commercial.

'Sheet together' Bed sheet? Aluminium sheet? Am I understanding you correctly?

• Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Why don't Apple just buy TBWA.

By the way, that WAS a great AD.

This is my first time seeing it, and it did resonate about what the holidays are about...

Family.

I thought the holdiays were about celebrating pagan rituals, getting drunk, buying gifts on credit, getting into massive debt, feeling pressured to keep up with the jones, and telling your kids lies that some fat guy worked hard to give you gifts instead of your parents?

Guess i was wrong.  Makes me wonder why we can't be a 'family' the other 11 months of the year?

Cowley, SolipsismX and mstone would love to join you for a pagan ritual twelve months of the year.

Some do consider AI to be a family twelve months a year, though there's no obligation.

• Reply 57 of 79
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Oh, my!  Out of touch is too gentle a description.  Who made all those ALS ice bucket videos that have flooded my FB newsfeed if my friends and theirs ad infinitum don;t understand that you can take and edit movies with a smartphone?  Did they all go out and hire professional videographers?  Sheesh!

Taking photos and short amateur videos with a smartphone is pretty routine. Putting together a professional looking multi-clip edited video is a different situation altogether. My complaint with the ad is that instead of showing the exciting features of the iPhone they create a dark emotional drama about a troubled teen, then surprise you at the end. The complete video capturing and editing process is hidden to build the wayward son drama. I much prefer the Apple ads that show people having fun using the devices.

With you, it's 'my way or the highway.' There's room for more than one style of ad. Having a big set-piece at Christmas, as you hate to call it, is apt.

• Reply 58 of 79
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The current crop of moody, sulky, preachy-sounding, self-satisfied ads -- with their utterly mediocre music ("Gigantic" is Exhibit A) -- needs to be jettisoned.

I just went to Apple and watched the Gigantic ad again. I like it much better than this Christmas ad mainly because it shows people using the devices and having fun. The Christmas ad is moody and sulky.

Steady on; it's a 'Holiday' ad in your books of wisdom.

• Reply 59 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Quote:

If that ad represents a dark emotional drama to you, then you've lived a very sheltered life.

That would stand to reason; he's been sheltering under his Panama hat.

• Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Don't we all?

No.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

Don't we all?

No.