Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If they don't update the public betas people are testing then what good is it to have a public beta in the first place? Is that one incident that was equal to DP beta 4 really going to give them all the info they need before the official release?

Given previous OS X adoption rates, yes. Do enough people care about the beta that much? It’s just a beta.

I can’t remember. Did the Kodiak beta get updated during its run?

• Reply 22 of 81
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

Whoops: Quoted the wrong post but too lazy to find the right one. 

I assume that the DP's have more drastic changes involving the API that developers interact with, so more updates are pushed out to meet those more sensitive issues vs the betas. 

There are some general user facing issues that have been fixed I'm sure, but, there's no need in re-rolling a new build of 10.10 then distribute it to (just) a million users if there is only a few icon updates or only a series small individual patches - overall just more efficient to wrap multiple DPs into a Beta then test after more bulk user-end changes have been made. 

• Reply 23 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

I followed a very similar path though I used VisiCalc on an HP85 with about a 3" screen and 8K RAM! Then when I got my Mac the first software I bought was Multiplan, then Chart, Word, and later Excel.

I had to wait for what seemed like forever to get Lightspeed Pascal my local store let me use MacNosy to get a copy of the demo they had but it was buggy as heck. I bought the production version of Lightspeed Pascal but was already dabbling in 68K assembler and MegaMax C before Lightspeed C came out. Doesn't seem like 30 years ago -- yikes 30 years!

Time to change your handle to Damn_Im_Old ... ;)

I will forever remember the expressions on peoples's faces, especially my dad's, when I demonstrated a 'what if' in VisiCalc on an early Apple ][. The fact it was slow and the changes literally rippled actually made it more spectacular to watch. My dad's first reaction on seeing a calculation done that he had to run through his company's main fame department monthly and wait several days for, was 'Bloody hell!".
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I doubt they were going to give any more than one public beta, ever.

That's my feeling, too. Even though I don't see much sense in just one public beta.

• Reply 25 of 81
    It looks like XCode 6 beta 6 has been pulled - I downloaded it earlier and definitely had Beta5 and Beta6 sat next to each other in my Applications folder but Beta 6 reported itself as being damaged and prompted me to delete it on first launch.

I deleted the .dmg and went back to the developer site to try and redownload and now I'm only seeing Beta 5...
  • Reply 26 of 81
    In regard to Xcode 6 beta 6 -- it was available and I dloaded it successfully -- but it wouldn't run.

If you go on the beta developer forums site it tells you how to remove the quarantine so Xcode 6 beta 6 will run successfully … I'm running it now!

I think they pulled it because of the quarantine -- or maybe there's something in there that they didn't want people to see yet!
  • Reply 27 of 81

There was a problem with the code signing of Xcode Beta 6. I assume they pulled it to rectify the issue.

• Reply 28 of 81
    I had to laugh when the latest Yosemite's Airdrop, running on a Mac mini, insisted on me selecting 'connect to older Macs' before it would talk to my brand new Mac Pro! Cheeky Mac mini!
  • Reply 29 of 81

That's my feeling, too. Even though I don't see much sense in just one public beta.

Apple only released one public version with no updates with the first ever OS X too didn't they? I still have the Disk. I assume devs (I wasn't one at the time) had multiple versions?
  • Reply 30 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Given previous OS X adoption rates, yes. Do enough people care about the beta that much? It’s just a beta.

I can’t remember. Did the Kodiak beta get updated during its run?

If this is what Apple is going to do, then there was no sense in doing the public beta program to begin with. I've submitted lots of feedback and how am I ever going to see if it gets fixed before the GM is released. Basically by not releasing public betas continuously, they're wasting people's time. 

IMO, they should have been releasing updates to the public beta all along. The more people that can test this the better as it puts Yosemite in more situations where things can happen. Developers can't do everything. 

• Reply 31 of 81
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If this is what Apple is going to do, then there was no sense in doing the public beta program to begin with. I've submitted lots of feedback and how am I ever going to see if it gets fixed before the GM is released. Basically by not releasing public betas continuously, they're wasting people's time. 

IMO, they should have been releasing updates to the public beta all along. The more people that can test this the better as it puts Yosemite in more situations where things can happen. Developers can't do everything. 

I don't doubt that Apple could do more frequent beta releases and get more feedback, but I don't see why just doing 1 would be a "waste of time."  If something is reported as a bug based on the beta and is fixed in the final release, it's all good, right?  Why is it essential that it be observed as fixed in an intermediate beta?

• Reply 32 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I don't doubt that Apple could do more frequent beta releases and get more feedback, but I don't see why just doing 1 would be a "waste of time."  If something is reported as a bug based on the beta and is fixed in the final release, it's all good, right?  Why is it essential that it be observed as fixed in an intermediate beta?

That doesn't mean there won't be further issues as a result of adding things. Sometimes you fix one thing and break something else. All in all, the more people the better. 

• Reply 33 of 81
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Agreed, bu

Quote:

That doesn't mean there won't be further issues as a result of adding things. Sometimes you fix one thing and break something else. All in all, the more people the better. 

Agreed, but Apple has to balance the benefits and costs of doing public beta releases.  For whatever reason, they are taking it slow.

• Reply 34 of 81
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

The settings icons are a fucking mess. Why can't they get one guy to redesign them all? They're all different styles, complexities, flat vs gradients, different degrees of attractiveness and ugliness, etc. Some are completely redone, while others barely touched. Such a sloppy and odd job. I don't get it. 

• Reply 35 of 81
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

"Wasting people's time"? Apple didn't release a public beta for your benefit, but for theirs. Its not a waste of time if the feedback has an effect on the final product. You're not entitled to see your feedback being addressed before then. 

• Reply 36 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I am also still on the first public beta. And AFAIK there has not been a subsequent release. 

Makes me wonder why. Has the response to the first public beta been so overwhelming or on the contrary, no (useful) feedback, maybe?

No useful feedback is probably an issue but you need to realize that Apple had no intention of keeping the public beta in sync with the developer releases. they have been pretty clear on this.

As to "no useful feedback" that is a real possibility or maybe more exactly feedback overload. Lets put it this way, I have some background in software and as such producing a good bug report isn't always easy. Users certainly can contribute and highlight surface problems, that is things that are obvious from the surface, but are pretty useless when it comes to describing bugs in the SDK for example.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    slurpy wrote: »
    The settings icons are a fucking mess. Why can't they get one guy to redesign them all? They're all different styles, complexities, flat vs gradients, different degrees of attractiveness and ugliness, etc. Some are completely redone, while others barely touched. Such a sloppy and odd job. I don't get it. 

After I read your rant on my MBP I pulled up my Yosemite server over ADR and put the Mavericks and Yosemite System Prefs side by side. I am assuming that's what you mean? Not sure I see any issues, just a refreshingly new look. Nothing to get your knickers in a bunch over.:)

• Reply 38 of 81
    This is now two developer betas that have come out since the public beta released. Any idea when the public beta will be updated?
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Apple only released one public version with no updates with the first ever OS X too didn't they? I still have the Disk. I assume devs (I wasn't one at the time) had multiple versions?

Smile. I almost forgot. That's already some time ago.

I remember to have it installed. But I cannot recall if there was a dedicated call from apple to send big reports then.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Smile. I almost forgot. That's already some time ago.

I remember to have it installed. But I cannot recall if there was a dedicated call from apple to send big reports then.

I remember I had BeOS installed around the same time. Seems like yesterday to me :(