Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So there is a new feature of iMessage in Yosemite that appeared during an earlier beta release. It's a feature that should have been there from the start or have been reworked on the iOS side once iMessage for Mac was created. That feature is the splitting of hyperlinks and their labels into separate text in the iMessage text field. Previously this would show up as the formatted hyperlink which would be stored on the iMessage server fine and received by other Macs properly, but iOS-based devices would show it simply as plaintext. At first I thought it was just JS from a website I was pasting but it's definietly a new Messages for Mac app feature.

It's hard to explain so here are some example from this…

Copy and pasting into iMessage in Yosemite used to yeild this..
    Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6 - Apple on Monday issued its sixth beta releases of OS X Yosemite and Xcode 6 to developers for testing ahead of their scheduled launches this fall, though no new beta of iOS 8 was released. 37 comments

But would silently get received by iOS-based devices as this…
    Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6 - Apple on Monday issued its sixth beta releases of OS X Yosemite and Xcode 6 to developers for testing ahead of their scheduled launches this fall, though no new beta of iOS 8 was released. 37 comments

Now it gets pasted as this…
    Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6 ?http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/18/apple-releases-os-x-yosemite-developer-preview-6-xcode-6-beta-6 ? - Apple on Monday issued its sixth beta releases of OS X Yosemite and Xcode 6 to developers for testing ahead of their scheduled launches this fall, though no new beta of iOS 8 was released. 37 comments ?http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181865/ ?

I'd like for iOS to read a hyperlink label properly but this is a much better than what we've had so far so I'll take it.

slurpy wrote: »
    "Wasting people's time"? Apple didn't release a public beta for your benefit, but for theirs. Its not a waste of time if the feedback has an effect on the final product. You're not entitled to see your feedback being addressed before then. 

His point is valid. It's a symbiotic relationship. If you only got that one buggy beta for the next couple months before the final release with no Continuity, Handoff, or other features working then next year you would probably get a lot less people participating in public betas.

My guess is they will have multiple updates for the public betas because anything else seems ridiculous. Perhaps after this developer beta passes the test they'll push it to the public beta testers.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The settings icons are a fucking mess. Why can't they get one guy to redesign them all? They're all different styles, complexities, flat vs gradients, different degrees of attractiveness and ugliness, etc. Some are completely redone, while others barely touched. Such a sloppy and odd job. I don't get it. 

Aw, they're pretty good looking in use. These are the first set of icons where gradients all flow the same way, which is a step up from the mess that is Weather, App Store, Videos, and Mail icon gradient craziness on iOS.

• Reply 43 of 81
    macxpress wrote: »

I'm still ambiguous about "the more the better". If even as observed in this forum there are some people who obviously demonstrate a deeper interest in what's going in behind the "curtains" of

If this is what Apple is going to do, then there was no sense in doing the public beta program to begin with. I've submitted lots of feedback and how am I ever going to see if it gets fixed before the GM is released. Basically by not releasing public betas continuously, they're wasting people's time. 

IMO, they should have been releasing updates to the public beta all along. The more people that can test this the better as it puts Yosemite in more situations where things can happen. Developers can't do everything. 

I'm really unsure about "the more the better". A developer requires constructive and professional feedback. I can easily imagine many inexperienced users either not reporting back or doing it in not the best way. On the other hand I also can daily imagine certain people installing this and then complain about stuff not working. I mean completely not realising what beta means.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    I remember I had BeOS installed around the same time. Seems like yesterday to me :(

Lol. Yes. Imagine: preemptive multitasking ;)
  • Reply 45 of 81

I love the new Yosemite wallpaper!

Perhaps Apple could call up Nicolas Cage, star of The Rock, to help advertise it.

• Reply 46 of 81
    pauljpaulj Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

There was a problem with the code signing of Xcode Beta 6. I assume they pulled it to rectify the issue.

I must have been lucky. Beta 6 downloaded, installed and ran first time without issue. Just tried running my app on my test device and seems to work ok. But looks like it's still unavailable to re-download... So not sure if I should use it!

• Reply 47 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If they don't update the public betas people are testing then what good is it to have a public beta in the first place? Is that one incident that was equal to DP beta 4 really going to give them all the info they need before the official release?

The public beta is as much about public relations as it is extensive testing.

Consider the work load you will have just collating all of the bug reports, especially when the reports are the same old bug over and over again. I've had bug reports marked as duplicates and I'm certain other developers have. The problem is how do you handle bug reports when they come in by the millions. In the end I suspect Apple is looking more at indications of user satisfaction and feature improvements from the public betas. It is a different type of information compared to software defects in the SDK for example.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    wizard69 wrote: »
    The public beta is as much about public relations as it is extensive testing.

Consider the work load you will have just collating all of the bug reports, especially when the reports are the same old bug over and over again. I've had bug reports marked as duplicates and I'm certain other developers have. The problem is how do you handle bug reports when they come in by the millions. In the end I suspect Apple is looking more at indications of user satisfaction and feature improvements from the public betas. It is a different type of information compared to software defects in the SDK for example.

So then why wouldn't they be given a new public beta if it's about user satisfaction and feature improvements when the key features aren't working in the current public beta which will lead to less satisfaction.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    How do I get the update ? I am not a developer.. but I downloaded the Yosemite as a early user....
  • Reply 50 of 81
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Throughout OS X, Energy Saver has changed from a real lightbulb to a compact fluorescent to an LED. Why is the printer icon still an inkjet?! :\

Why wouldn't the printer icon be an inkjet?  Sure laser printers are cheap now, but I expect that the vast majority of homes have an inkjet printer.  Right?

• Reply 51 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I expect that the vast majority of homes have an inkjet printer.

So? The vast majority don’t have LED lights (we do; only way to fly), but that doesn’t stop Apple. They need to break the inkjet cartel.

• Reply 52 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    So? The vast majority don’t have LED lights (we do; only way to fly), but that doesn’t stop Apple. They need to break the inkjet cartel.

Amen to that.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    Xcode beta 6 is indeed out, at least from the developer portal. Downloading it now.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Scheduled launch this fall means NLT 12/21. Might be a while yet.
  • Reply 55 of 81

Xcode 6 beta 6 is available now (again).

• Reply 56 of 81
    Quote:

They could just do away with printing altogether.  That would be even bolder than the no-floppy move 15 years ago.

• Reply 57 of 81

How can you tell it's inkjet? The lightbulb design makes it obvious of the type because of how it illuminates, but can't that printer design also be used for laser? Is there a specific different printer design that would look better?
  • Reply 58 of 81
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

They could just do away with printing altogether.  That would be even bolder than the no-floppy move 15 years ago.

Bold, but probably not very smart on Apple's part (to do away with printing entirely, that is).

• Reply 59 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm really diggin' this one:

For a second there, looking at your dock, I thought you were on Tiger!

• Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:

Indeed. I switched from ink to laser years ago and my yearly printing costs dropped from about $200 to about $20. No way I'll ever go back to ink.