Apple exec Eddy Cue puts Los Altos, Calif., home on the market for nearly $4M

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
Eddy Cue, who oversees Apple's Internet Software and Services division, has listed his four-bedroom, 3,721-square-foot Los Altos, Calif., home for sale with an asking price of $3.895 million.

The detached single-family, one-story residential home has been on the market for 8 days by realtor Ethel Green. The home was built in 2004 and it features 3 and a half bathrooms and rests on a lot sized at 18,295 square feet.

The listing was first highlighted by Realtor.com, which described the neighborhood as "unassuming" and "quiet," while located close to Mountain View. Inside the home are "gorgeous wood floors throughout the main living space, wood ceilings over the open kitchen and living area, and abundant natural light everywhere."

Outside, the house has "huge" spaces, including a "lush backyard" complete with large pool and jacuzzi. Other homes in the same Los Altos neighborhood have sold for at least $3 million.

Cue has been with Apple for 25 years, and currently holds the title of vice president as one of the company's top brass. He's overseen a number of significant projects for the company during his tenure, most notably playing a major role in the creation of its first online store in 1998, the launch of the iTunes Store in 2003, and the iOS App Store in 2008.

Prior to joining Apple, Cue earned a bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Economics from Duke University.

While the value of Cue's home on the open market has yet to be decided, we do have an idea of how much an hour of his time is worth. Last month, Cue participated in a charity auction offering a lunch date with him along with a 13-inch MacBook Air, and bidding reached north of $40,000 before the auction closed at an undisclosed price. The funds went to benefit the National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I'm impressed, the house is modest for someone in his position.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Nice house. Love the back yard. Cue is asking less than $4M for a house on an 18,000 sq ft lot. Jony Ive paid $17M for a house in San Francisco that's on a 5,400 sq ft lot with basically no yard. Crazy how expensive real estate is in the big cities. Would be interesting to see what it looks like when he's done remodeling it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-of-apples-jony-ives-new-home-2012-9?op=1

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/28cjdw0.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 52

Very nice, reflecting excellent taste and simplicity; very Apple-ish:)

• Reply 4 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Nice house. Love the back yard. Cue is asking less than $4M for a house on an 18,000 sq ft lot. Jony Ive paid $17M for a house in San Francisco that's on a 5,400 sq ft lot with basically no yard. Crazy how expensive real estate is in the big cities. Would be interesting to see what it looks like when he's done remodeling it.

Trust the Brit to want a brick house!

• Reply 5 of 52
    richl wrote: »
    When I first saw photos it reminded me of something you'd see in England. What's hilarious is he bought this house in 2012 but for some reason Business Insider decided to recycle the story (and thus others picked it up) a week or so ago. All over Twitter people are making fun of the decor not realizing the photos are of the house before he bought it and that he's spending $2M to remodel it. :lol:
  • Reply 6 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Jony Ive paid $17M for a house in San Francisco that's on a 5,400 sq ft lot with basically no yard. Crazy how expensive real estate is in the big cities. Would be interesting to see what it looks like when he's done remodeling it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-of-apples-jony-ives-new-home-2012-9?op=1

I say, jolly nice! I guess for 17,000,000 listed at 25,000,000 he got himself a bargain ;) Can't imagine he'll work it over too much. New furniture, perhaps, but ripping it apart and modernizing, I don't think so. The very English-ness of the place must have appealed to him. The Aston Martin will look splendid parked out front.

Edit: Bentley, not Aston Martin

• Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

When I first saw photos it reminded me of something you'd see in England. What's hilarious is he bought this house in 2012 but for some reason Business Insider decided to recycle the story (and thus others picked it up) a week or so ago. All over Twitter people are making fun of the decor not realizing the photos are of the house before he bought it and that he's spending $2M to remodel it. image

I'd love to see what he did. 

• Reply 8 of 52
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Very nice home.  Looks like a place I'd like to live!

• Reply 9 of 52
    paxman wrote: »
    I say, jolly nice! I guess for 17,000,000 listed at 25,000,000 he got himself a bargain ;) Can't imagine he'll work it over too much. New furniture, perhaps, but ripping it apart and modernizing, I don't think so. The very English-ness of the place must have appealed to him. The Aston Martin will look splendid parked out front.
    Based on building records Foster & Partner's is the architectural firm responsible for the remodel so I'm sure it will be spectacular when finished. That's the same firm working on Apple 2 campus.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

Based on building records Foster & Partner's is the architectural firm responsible for the remodel so I'm sure it will be spectacular when finished. That's the same firm working on Apple 2 campus.

And most of the big Apple stores as well.

• Reply 11 of 52

That is a good price for the house, given its size, lot size, and location.

• Reply 12 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Looks staged. Perhaps he has already purchased another home.

• Reply 13 of 52
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah, it looks like a furniture store.  Zero character or personality.

• Reply 14 of 52
    3,700-sq.-ft. home on less than half an acre is worth $500K-$1M in normal parts of the country. When will companies realise the money they're wasting in employee expenses by clustering on the coasts and ignoring the vast (pun intended) majority of the country?
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

Now I am even more intrigued. I am familiar with Foster's work and a big fan. I would love to be able to use Foster to remodel my house, but I suspect the initial meeting would cost more than I could possibly hope to afford. Ever.

• Reply 16 of 52
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    mstone wrote: »

Perhaps Iovine told him he should rent.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    sog35 wrote: »
    More proof the 5.5 is coming.

Thanks for confirming you are The One Formerly Known as TekStud.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

3,700-sq.-ft. home on less than half an acre is worth $500K-$1M in normal parts of the country. When will companies realise the money they're wasting in employee expenses by clustering on the coasts and ignoring the vast (pun intended) majority of the country?

It is about the quality of life. The upper management and high level employees don't want to live in the midwest. They want vistas of mountains and oceans, sailboats, fine dining, fancy country clubs, private schools, expensive boutiques and malls and they don't want to have to drive 6 hours to get the oil changed on their Bentley.

• Reply 19 of 52
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Given the tendency of brick to detach and fall (and crush objects and people that happen to be in their path) in an earthquake that would otherwise leave the structure standing, I would think it is not the ideal housing material for San Francisco.

• Reply 20 of 52
    As seen on MTV's Cribs.