Apple's sixth beta of iOS 8 is for carrier testing only - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    I think the new chip is a driver to have a 'carrier' only 'forever hold your peace' beta...  

Sept 5 sounds like there's another beta release prior to GM targeting developers and key QA people.   Unless there are hills to die on in the Carrier only release, a RC beta release next week will likely be there for app level bug verification.  Otherwise, the carrier beta will at worst impact release dates for some carriers (one can assume that the top 20 have already validated connectivity, and this is a confirmation beta release).

11 days to burn 500K phones... piece of cake.  Because the problem is to burn a million phones a week.

A million a week is probably the production rate throughout peaks in the 4th quarter.  So, let's just say they can burn 1 Million a week steady state (52Million a year for the top of line phone).   So, let's say they need to do a Million burns.

From the 5th to the 16th is 2 million image impressions (11 days to do 2M)   To do that, They need to burn 757 units every 6 minutes (1 every 4 seconds: 15 a minute).  I picked 6 minutes for some sort of automated smoke testing after the SW load.  YMMV.

Assuming special USB/Lightning SW/HW to do the download.... at 15MB/s (1/2 USB2.0 rated speeds) loading 1/2 <span style="line-height:1.4em;">GB of OS and Apps and data would take <45 seconds, leaving 5+ minutes for validation and smoke testing.  Assuming they use it all, and assuming a worker can handle 4 phones a minute (connect, load, read validation script, unload into GOOD or BAD Pile, rinse and repeat every 15 seconds, with a couple breaks every shift.</span>

you have 4 stations with 24 lightning nipples on it,  I doubt they use a Macbook pro...  This is a specialized loader unit.
    4 stations,  96 phones being burned in pipeline/parallel, 16/min being pulled off and binned GOOD if the light is green, less than 1 per minute being tossed into the BAD bin. 
    Now the problem may be even more distributed depending on localization of the OS requires breaking down the lines  (US, England, China, etc.)

Simple problem.

Mmm ... Nice work!

What if the new Lightning cable is reversible USB 3.0?

That's up to 10 times faster transfer rate!
  • Reply 22 of 29

There is no way 8 is anywhere near production, at this rate we will be at beta 23

It crashes way to much, rotation sensors blow so does the digitiser

In messages if your using it a lot and going in and out of it it will eventually hang, same with mail

I don't know whats going on

• Reply 23 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm ... Nice work!

What if the new Lightning cable is reversible USB 3.0?

That's up to 10 times faster transfer rate!

What is the data speed of the flash storage?

• Reply 24 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Code:

import Foundation

let url: NSURL = NSURL(string: "http://localhost/aapl";)
    let aaplPrice: Double = (NSString.stringWithContentsOfURL(url,
    encoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding, error:nil)).doubleValue

var label: String = "AAPL Stock price is " + String(format: "%0.2f", aaplPrice)
    if aaplPrice &gt;= 100 {label += " Laissez les bons temps rouler ????"} else {label += " ????"}

println(label)

AAPL Stock price is 100.34 Laissez les bons temps rouler ????

So we are still using NSString and NSURL with Swift?

• Reply 25 of 29

Seems like September 9th might not be the day then, which is fine with me, I like it when rumors end up being false.

• Reply 26 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I haven't had any issues with iOS 8.0b5 so I can see how they would be close to a GM.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    They dont have to image anything. Its real easy.

the version of ios 7.1.2 is in a different file for the iphone 5 vs. the iphone 5s.
    The file for the iPhone 6 is probably already done. They are probably just working on back compatibility now.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mstone wrote: »
    So we are still using NSString and NSURL with Swift?

String and NSURL.

Swift isn't really ready yet. They are going to keep changing it post beta.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Tnx! Site http://yandex.com/