Rumor: Schematic suggests NFC chip in 'iPhone 6,' RAM remains unknown [u]

Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazar View Post

As a doctor I can barely use any apps or bluetooth without worrying.

What does being a doctor have to do with the price of tea in China?

Just get a battery case and stop worrying.

Shame it's taken you so long to write something sensible. As refreshing to see as a cup of tea.

• Reply 102 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

At what point is your usage demands a true Virtual Memory management system and  OS, e.g. a Macbook Air?  

I don't ask my Honda Accord to haul 3 ton of fertilizer, because it's not the right tool for the job.  But I do haul a couple hundred pounds at a time, knowing that for small jobs , and the occasional  repeat trips to Lowes, the extra round trip time is not that bad compared to the rental/purchase price of a pickup 

truck.  

So iPad is not the right tool for browsing the internet using Safari?

Btw, at most I maybe have 5-6 tabs open. But even if I have half of that open I still get constant tab refreshes. This certainly isn't something unique to me.

I'm sorry that you didn't feel compelled to take the friendly advice I gave you recently about whining incessantly about Safari tabs. I guess you can whine away for as long as you like, but please think of others.

• Reply 103 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

A bigger battery, a faster CPU, and more flash would benefit everybody too. But with every benefit comes a cost. Apple has to find the right mix of benefits and costs. There are no free lunches. 

edit -- just to clarify, I'm not arguing whether adding more RAM to the iPhone 6 is the right thing to do or not. It might be, it might not be. I'm arguing that Apple is better positioned to make that decision than anyone here is. 

I would also say that many companies are not able to make these types of decisions about tradeoffs as well as Apple, and instead just produce every possible permutation of features until they find one that people like -- that's the Samsung way, for example. Both approaches have advantages. I personally prefer Apple's approach, and I think they implement it well. But I can definitely understand that others might prefer the Samsung way. 

I agree that Apple is in the best position for this. But that doesn't mean that their decision is the best. They have a number of considerations. But the result of their ruminations may not coincide with what many (most?) of their users would prefer.

I mention the thinner phone, rather than a much bigger battery, as an example. Their consideration, over the last few years, has been that 8 hours of LTE talk time is good enough. But when they first came to that conclusion, competing devices were getting 3.5 hours of LTE talk time. Now, competing models can get 10 or even 12 hours. Apple lost their advantage, and talking points.

Same thing with the iPad. Like most people, I like thinner, lighter devices. But there comes a point when it's thin enough, and light enough. I would think that most users would prefer longer battery life than another mm taken off the thickness, and 10 grams off the weight.

I'm just using battery life as one example where Apple's interests, and the interest of their users, don't coincide.

RAM is obviously another.

But, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

You have something of a point with the iPhone, but certainly not with the iPad.

The iPad's battery life is phenomenal. It could stand to be significantly lighter and thinner than it is now. In ten years time, you'll be looking back and laughing at how thick and heavy the iPad Air was in 2014.

• Reply 104 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Why is it that any time someone notes an area in which Apple could improve its products, or suggests that Apple's choice in a trade-off situation may not have been the right one, the response is that the person expressing that opinion must be the only person in the world to think that way?

Take for an example the general topic of Apple making computers thinner with the trade-off being that they are more expensive and difficult for users to upgrade. Anyone who says they think Apple is making the wrong choice is told Apple knows better and that theirs is a fringe opinion. Same with battery life vs. thickness and screen size vs. one-handed use. How do we know the dissenters are a minority? Maybe those people are the majority, and many of those who choose to buy anyway do so in spite of the trade-offs, not because of them.

The truth is we don't know, and dismissing dissenting views with the assumption that Apple always knows better is indefensible. I've posted examples in the past of how market research has been 100% dead wrong, even when the data leaned overwhelmingly to one side, because what people SAY they will do (or THINK they will do) is not always what they wind up doing in real life.

It seems to me that the savvy fan or investor would do well to hear such criticism, since it's coming from people who are making real-life decisions about whether or not to open their wallets, not some focus group in a meeting room with nothing at stake.

You want a thicker tablet; we get it. There's always the Surface! ????

• Reply 105 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

I use to dream of having 1GB of RAM. Back in 1995 when I purchased my first PC it had a whopping 4MB with a super fast 28.8kps modem.

4MB?! Luxury! We had to manually copy page files from the floppy running the OS to a "memory" floppy!

http://youtu.be/Xe1a1wHxTyo

• Reply 106 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You want a thicker tablet; we get it. There's always the Surface! ????

I actually have no opinion on iPads whatsoever, beyond wishing Apple would adopt a consistent and persistent numbering scheme for ALL their products -- iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad 5, MacBook Pro 10, MacBook Pro 11, etc.

And I realize you're just making a joke, but please note that I wasn't offering any opinion on any Apple product at all in that post. I was merely suggesting that I don't think it's prudent to automatically assume that Apple is always right.

• Reply 107 of 143
    Actually at the time they did know. Look at what you could do with that 256MB RAM at the time. Ever played Real Racing 1? That was a phenomenal achievement for such low RAM requirements.

But we need more now because people keep pushing the limits of a "consumption" device more and more. Hell, me personally I'm doing almost as much on my iPad as I'm doing on my MacBook Pro.

Even if there is only 1GB RAM look at what's being achieved. If you have talented programmers then the lack of system resources isn't an issue and iOS seems to have produced far more talented programmers than any other platform and I believe it really does come down to the "limited" resources on the platform.

I used to run Linux with an X server (XFree86) on a 25Mhz 486 laptop with 4MB of RAM and an 80MB HDD. And NeXT used to run on 25Mhz 68040s and 16MB of RAM.

All Moore's Law has done is to create exponentially increasing expectations about hardware over time.
  • Reply 108 of 143
    1 gb ram was fine on 5S, but 2 is very helpful on newer devices and will be a loss, as these rumors fall, it sounds like only difference between 5S and 6 is the hubungo 5.5 inch screen which I doubt it's true, but even rumors can make it suck.
  • Reply 109 of 143
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sorry that you didn't feel compelled to take the friendly advice I gave you recently about whining incessantly about Safari tabs. I guess you can whine away for as long as you like, but please think of others.
    I'll whine about it as much as I want because it sucks. Do a google search and you'll see I'm far from the only one complaining about it. One of the reasons people pay a premium for Apple products is because of the superior user experience. Safari on iPad is not a superior user experience. Hopefully that changes with iOS 8.
  • Reply 110 of 143
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Just get a battery case or spare battery; problem solved, and no more need to write five paragraphs whining about it.
    Since when did longer battery life become an unreasonable request? Believe me if the new iPhones have better battery life Phil Schiller will be crowing about it on stage.
  • Reply 111 of 143
    jjarojjaro Posts: 29member
    Why is everybody so adamant that having NFC will be a bad idea? Or that iBeacons are sufficient? Maybe you guys should think outside the narrow American box you live in and realize that NFC is used all over the world, especially where I live in Japan. I think that if true this will be great and open the door for a new type of mobile payment, even in the US. And Apple will be at the forefront, because let's face it, no one can do something like this but them. Every other phone maker has tried and it's failed (at least in the US).
  • Reply 112 of 143
    Originally Posted by Jjaro View Post

Why is everybody so adamant that having NFC will be a bad idea?

Because it’s unnecessary? Same reason a 50 megapixel camera is a bad idea.

Maybe you guys should think outside the narrow American box you live in and realize that NFC is used all over the world, especially where I live in Japan.

I don’t see how that matters. PS/2 was used all over the world before Apple destroyed it with USB.

I think that if true this will be great and open the door for a new type of mobile payment, even in the US. Every other phone maker has tried and it's failed (at least in the US).

Exactly, so why should Apple be beholden to the limitations of existing technologies in this area? 

• Reply 113 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

why should Apple be beholden to the limitations of existing technologies in this area? 

Because getting every merchant on the planet to install a new payment device is both daunting and unlikely when what they already have works well and is supported by every bank in the world.

• Reply 114 of 143
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Because getting every merchant on the planet to install a new payment device is both daunting and unlikely

Not if that’s where the money is. And guess which mobile OS has the money.

• Reply 115 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I used to run Linux with an X server (XFree86) on a 25Mhz 486 laptop with 4MB of RAM and an 80MB HDD. And NeXT used to run on 25Mhz 68040s and 16MB of RAM.

All Moore's Law has done is to create exponentially increasing expectations about hardware over time.

I think you might be romanticizing old tech here a bit.  I'm just as guilty at that myself at times -- I have an Apple IIe setup on my desk here at home, for example.  It's fun to play with old tech every once in a while -- I have fond memories of spending lots of time on the Apple IIs at school and in the library, along with even more time on my Atari 1200XL at home.

But to claim things were actually *better* when we had only 4MB of RAM is pushing it.  Just think about what you are saying for a second.  That 486 laptop couldn't even hold a song in it's RAM, let alone have the CPU power to actually decode it.  The alternatives from that era would be carrying around a bunch of tapes and CDs.

Also, I doubt you would be happy with that laptop's screen today.  It was almost certainly something in the area of 1024x768 at best and probably about the size of an iPad screen as well.  And with a heavy bulky battery as well.

One more thing -- if you think it's a worthwhile use of programmer time to optimize for less RAM, then you haven't looked at the going rate for programmers these days.  Spending a few extra pennies (or even dollars) for more RAM is a way better use of resources than paying someone over $100/hr to try to shave off enough memory usage to get the thing to fit in less RAM.  Even when you multiply it out by the number of devices Apple ships, you have to counter that with the number of app developers who are developing for the platform.

Programmers aren't being lazy here.  It's just simple economics.

• Reply 116 of 143
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not if that’s where the money is. And guess which mobile OS has the money.

Money can also be carried in paper form and on small plastic cards.  If Apple want retailers to invest in an alternative payment infrastructure, especially one isolated from other mobile OS methods, then they'll need to prove one hell of a value add, not least including a willingness from consumers to use it.

• Reply 117 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    You don't have to say it -- I already did. I just think that when Apple and any given individual posting to AI forums disagree about what the best decision is for apple to make (where "best" is defined in terms of what's best for a majority of users, not a specific individual or subgroup), Apple is much more likely to be correct. 

Hmm. Possibly. It depends on what we're talking about. Technically, they may be correct. But from a developer and user viewpoint, they may not be.
  • Reply 118 of 143
    Actually at the time they did know. Look at what you could do with that 256MB RAM at the time. Ever played Real Racing 1? That was a phenomenal achievement for such low RAM requirements.

But we need more now because people keep pushing the limits of a "consumption" device more and more. Hell, me personally I'm doing almost as much on my iPad as I'm doing on my MacBook Pro.

Even if there is only 1GB RAM look at what's being achieved. If you have talented programmers then the lack of system resources isn't an issue and iOS seems to have produced far more talented programmers than any other platform and I believe it really does come down to the "limited" resources on the platform.

Yes, I had RR when it first came out. There were memory related glitches. It wasn't the only app with that problem.
  • Reply 119 of 143
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Money can also be carried in paper form and on small plastic cards.  If Apple want retailers to invest in an alternative payment infrastructure, especially one isolated from other mobile OS methods, then they'll need to prove one hell of a value add, not least including a willingness from consumers to use it.

Apple has singlehandedly steered the UX direction of the entire technology industry for the past 30 years. I’m pretty sure that if they have a new payment system they want to invent that it will be adopted.

Then again, the world sure seems to be enamored with its PS/2 and SCSI ports... 

• Reply 120 of 143
    If you've nothing nice today, don't say anything at all. The subject matter has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

We don't limit threads strictly. We got off topic on another thread you were very involved in. I didn't restrict the topic there either, remember.