Steve Ballmer leaves Microsoft board to concentrate on other responsibilities

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Nearly six months after Steve Ballmer handed over the reins at Microsoft, the former CEO on Tuesday announced he is also resigning from the company's board, citing outside responsibilities like a new role as owner of the Los Angeles Clippers.

In a lengthy letter addressed to current Microsoft chief Satya Nadella, Ballmer extolled Microsoft's current leadership team, saying the new CEO is "off to a bold and exciting start." The resignation letter, full of buzzwords, was posted to Microsoft's website in full.

"No company in the world has the mix of software skills, cloud skills, and hardware skills we have assembled," Ballmer wrote. "We draw talent as well as any company in the world. We have the profitability to invest in long-term opportunities and still deliver superior shorter term performance."

Turning to his own future, Ballmer said outside duties have been taking up a good chunk of time, so much so that it would be "impractical" to continue on as a board member. One of the main reasons cited for the departure is a responsibility to the Los Angeles Clippers basketball team, which he bought in May for $2 billion.

"In the six months since leaving, I have become very busy. I see a combination of the Clippers, civic contribution, teaching and study taking a lot of time," Ballmer wrote. "I have confidence in our approach of mobile-first, cloud-first, and in our primary innovation emphasis on platforms and productivity and the building of capability in devices and services as core business drivers."

Ballmer pointed out that he holds more shares of Microsoft than any one individual, excluding funds, and expects to stay in that position for the "foreseeable future." According to The New York Times, Ballmer's has a 3.99 percent stake in Microsoft with shares currently worth over $15 billion, more than company cofounder Bill Gates. Using the considerable sway, he intends to spur on Microsoft management and offer ideas and input going forward.

A response from Nadella -- also filled with neologisms -- is also included in the post and thanks Ballmer driving Microsoft to a "mobile-first, cloud-first world."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44

I miss him already.

• Reply 2 of 44
    Riiiight!
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A response from Nadella -- also filled with neologisms -- is also included in the post and thanks Ballmer driving Microsoft to a "mobile-first, cloud-first world."

In other words, an "Apple-first, Google-first world."

• Reply 4 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    When asked about his decision:

Ballmer: "In Los Angeles 1+1 really equals 3. So in 2015 what's next? Players, players, players!! and of course!! Clippers, Clippers, Clippers!!"
  • Reply 5 of 44
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

This is great news for the Golden State Warriors.

• Reply 6 of 44
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    "No company in the world has the mix of software skills, cloud skills, and hardware skills we have assembled," Ballmer wrote.

And yet so little was achieved.

Does that mean management was the problem?

(>_<)
  • Reply 7 of 44
    And
    gtr wrote: »
    And yet so little was achieved.

Does that mean management was the problem?

(>_<)
    people said Steve had a reality distortion field. Problem is his worked on other people too. Bad luck Mr Bulmer maybe you will do better in the sports arena
  • Reply 8 of 44
    I hope as LA Clippers CEO and cheerleader he will be as entertaining as he was during his MS-period.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

The best CEO there is.

(from Apple point of view)

• Reply 10 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Not the CEO Microsoft needs, but the one it deserves

• Reply 11 of 44
    "No company in the world has the mix of software skills, cloud skills, and hardware skills we have assembled," Ballmer wrote."

Really? Does he really believe in that statement? If yes, the entire message makes no sense.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    "Steve Ballmer leaves Microsoft board to concentrate on other failures"
    ;)
  • Reply 13 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I think this new interest in sports is an excellent fit. Jumping up and down, screaming, sweating profusely ...

OT ... Is it just me or have all the emoticons turned into blue boxes with question marks?
  • Reply 14 of 44
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Text from Nadella to Ballmer last week: "ok, it's been 6 months you know what you agreed to do. k thx."
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

In other words, an "Apple-first, Google-first world."

HA HA HA!

Or as I said, "Which is it? Mobile First? If Mobile is first, how can Cloud be first?"

I really hate that the "participation trophy" mentality appears to be taking over the business world, too. I see it in many companies.

The reality is this, if everyone wins, nobody wins. If everyone is special, then no one is special. If every product is first, nothing is first.

• Reply 16 of 44
    kantxkantx Posts: 22member

10 yrs too late.

• Reply 17 of 44

Judging by his introduction to the Clippers it's going to be a lot of fun

• Reply 18 of 44

I can see AAPL shares collapsing after this dreadful news.

/s

• Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

When asked about his decision:

Ballmer: "In Los Angeles 1+1 really equals 3. So in 2015 what's next? Players, players, players!! and of course!! Clippers, Clippers, Clippers!!"

I don't care for basketball, but Ballmer is one person who might make me a fan. I can only imagine some of the things he might come up with for post-game press conferences after the Clippers got their ass handed to them. The score was a rounding error...The Lakers are not a real team...
  • Reply 20 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    He finally rose to his full potential. Good for him.