Purported 'iPhone 6' render shows sub-1mm rear camera lens protrusion

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A three-dimensional render of a device said to be Apple's next-generation iPhone -- codenamed "N56" --?appeared from a source in the Republic of China on Wednesday, bearing a camera lens that extends outward from the device's rear cover in a manner similar to the fifth-generation iPod touch.

The somewhat sketchy image appears to be a photograph of a render on a computer display, showing color banding characteristic of such a capture. It was first noted by GforGames.

The device in the render sports a design much like those seen in recent supposed "leaks" of iPhone 6 chassis, along with a protruding camera lens. Accompanying text seems to suggest that the first prototype bearing this design came with a lens sticking out some 0.77 millimeters, but a subsequent prototype squashed that extension to 0.67 millimeters.

Similar reports of an iPod touch-style camera protrusion have appeared in relation to the iPhone 6 in the past. Most recently, an external camera lens ring said to be destined for Apple's newest handset appeared earlier this month alongside a slew of other parts.

It remains possible that these "leaks" could be for a sixth-generation iPod touch, rather than a new iPhone. Adding to the mystery is the relative lack of radio transparent material in the render, suggesting that the device in question could have limited need for antenna reception.

No matter its final form, Apple is widely expected to unveil at least one new iPhone -- perhaps a 4.7-inch model, with a 5.5-inch "phablet" version to follow -- at an event on Sept. 9. If the company holds true to its now-usual release pattern, the new devices would go on sale Sept. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Lens gate! Calling it now.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    I doubt Jony would design something like this.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    6 or 6L?
  • Reply 4 of 60
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Lens gate! Calling it now.

Being honest, here - I don't care for the protruding lens on the iPod, really hoping it isn't on the iPhone 6.

I'm sure the optics will be stellar...but personally, I don't use a case and my iPhone sits flat on my desk.  I type on it without picking it up.  Can't do that with a protruding lens.

• Reply 5 of 60
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Is it possible that all of these iPhone 6 leaks have actually been leaks of a 4.7" iPod instead, and that we have no idea what the 6 will look like?
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I doubt Jony would design something like this.

5th gen iPod touch.

• Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Being honest, here - I don't care for the protruding lens on the iPod, really hoping it isn't on the iPhone 6.

I'm sure the optics will be stellar...but personally, I don't use a case and my iPhone sits flat on my desk.  I type on it without picking it up.  Can't do that with a protruding lens.

I agree.

I don't think it will have lens that protrudes less than 1mm. That seems like choosing to do things the hard way when it would be much easier and cleaner to make the whole thing less than 1mm thicker--or make a wedge-shaped phone. If the edge is radiused, I could live with a lens that protrudes into the radius while not increasing overall thickness. I wouldn't like that or a wedge-shaped phone, though. I also think either of those would be very unlike the Apple design trend.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

5th gen iPod touch barely protrudes and that's thinner than the rumored iPhone 6 is supposed to be. Leaks like this don't tell the whole story. Hence why I can't get worked up over them.

• Reply 9 of 60
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

5th gen iPod touch barely protrudes and that's thinner than the rumored iPhone 6 is supposed to be. Leaks like this don't tell the whole story. Hence why I can't get worked up over them.

True, but I've tried typing on an iPod touch 5th gen lying flat (no case) and it rocks.  It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.  And I'm not likely the only person who'd think that.

I agree with you though, and I can't get "worked up" about it until I actually see it and then use it.  Of course I'm still getting it on release day.  And I'm sure it won't be a dealbreaker for me.  :-)

• Reply 10 of 60

This is not iPhone. Sorry to disappoint. Just looks horribly wrong. Cant put finger on it. 

• Reply 11 of 60
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    It is inevitable if the phone is thinner. You cannot thinner lens than it already is otherwise pics won't look great.

But for most consumers, it won't be an issue when they are using cases that will "smooth" out the form factor.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    allenbf wrote: »
    True, but I've tried typing on an iPod touch 5th gen lying flat (no case) and it rocks.  It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.  And I'm not likely the only person who'd think that.

I agree with you though, and I can't get "worked up" about it until I actually see it and then use it.  Of course I'm still getting it on release day.  And I'm sure it won't be a dealbreaker for me.  :-)
    My point is it's just a slight protrusion on the iPod touch and the iPhone 6 is rumored to be 7mm thick, thicker than the iPod touch. So either it won't protrude or if it does there's a reason for it. Or perhaps these schematics that are leaking are not iPhone 6 but new iPod touches or something else.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    This is a again sketch of Goophone i6... Silly...

http://www.goophone.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=60
  • Reply 14 of 60

Now this image completely convinced me! Oh wait....

• Reply 15 of 60
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

5th gen iPod touch.

Different animal.

• Reply 16 of 60

Why is this rumor called "sketchy", but anything from Ming Kuo is considered true by AI?

• Reply 17 of 60
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    In the Netherlands, Vodafone just announced iPhone 6. Not sure if it's any reliable...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47359/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

There is a link to subscribe to some mailing list: https://www.vodafone.nl/iphone/nieuwe-iphone.shtml?cmpid=170017_26944978_1408_EDSE08-eDM_A558
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyltd View Post

This is not iPhone. Sorry to disappoint. Just looks horribly wrong. Cant put finger on it. 

It's the dual-tone color and all the lines.

• Reply 19 of 60
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I still don't like those bands, and I don't like the lens like that.

I'd still buy it if I needed, it still looks great from the front and side.
  • Reply 20 of 60

shouldn't the buttons be on the other side of the phone (opposite the camera lens)?