Apple updates pro-level video suite with fixes for Final Cut Pro X, Compressor and Motion

Posted:
in Mac Software edited August 2014
Apple on Tuesday rolled out a point update for its Final Cut Pro for Mac professional level video editing software including a bug fix for Blu-ray handling, which was also applied to new versions of Compressor and Motion.

While the most pressing issue appears to be reliability issues when burning a Blu-ray disc or creating a disk image, Final Cut Pro version 10.1.3 also brings a few minor changes in clip and data handling, XML imports and automatic library backups, among other enhancements.

The latest Final Cut Pro allows color corrections pasted between two or more clips to be retained during a Share operation, adds support for effects applied to clips in the Browser of prior FCP versions to be retained when added to the timeline and correctly imports XML round-trips when using gap clips.

In addition, reliability of automatic library backups has been improved for a safer workflow, while stability has been enhanced for paging through growing files in the Browser.

As for file output and encoding app Compressor and special effects tool Motion, Apple brings both up to speed with today's FCP Blu-ray enhancements.

Existing users can grab all three updates as free downloads from the Mac App Store, while new users may purchase Final Cut Pro for $299.99, while Compressor and Motion go for $49.99 each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I need to force myself to learn these new applications. I bought them all when they were released but every time I need to do a video I alway revert to FCP 7 because I know it.

• Reply 2 of 25
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    So what is the current professional environment like for FCP X after all the complaints when it launched? What has the adoption rate been in the professional world? And what are user's impressions? Any insight out there from actual pros? I just haven't heard much since all the complaints during the initial launch period and am curious...
  • Reply 3 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mstone wrote: »
    I need to force myself to learn these new applications. I bought them all when they were released but every time I need to do a video I alway revert to FCP 7 because I know it.

I was the same but they have really improved X dramatically and it is far easier to learn now than when it first came out. Now 7 seems archaic to me and that is from someone who used every version since its inception for real jobs such as ESPN 1 hour shows.

Larry Jordan is well worth following. http://www.larryjordan.biz
  • Reply 4 of 25
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

IOW, Apple has released some updates for their Pro apps... that they haven't yet decided to discontinue.

• Reply 5 of 25
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So what is the current professional environment like for FCP X after all the complaints when it launched? What has the adoption rate been in the professional world? And what are user's impressions? Any insight out there from actual pros? I just haven't heard much since all the complaints during the initial launch period and am curious...

Can't say anything about the adoption rate, just that pretty much every company we occasionally work with that was on FCP before FCP X is now on FCP X. We have not moved a single FCP license to another product ourselves. We also did not have many complaints after the launch, most of the initial shortcomings of FCP X did not really affect us (only the initial lack of multi-cam support kept a few projects on the old FCP then).

Our users (we have 25 permanent, plus 15 on demand editing seats, plus 3 dedicated color correction desks) are absolutely happy with it, and the people we hired, who were trained on Avid or Premiere previously, did never complain after some initial orientation issues either. People coming from Premiere unanimously praise FCP X (not astonishing), previous Avid users see the products more head to head... (Just to put this into perspective: we mainly do image videos, and HR and technical training videos, no broadcasting and cinema stuff.)

• Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Our corporate Mothership has banned installation of FCP on company hardware. Prior to that it was in use for editing in the field. X was problematic for us until recently. I don't know whether the smoothing-out was the result of Apple's improvements or our very creative Engineering department coming up with a way to make it useful.

Whether or not this new policy is a reasonable action is subject to debate, since other dictates from on high have ranged from "reasonable," through "made us scratch our heads," all the way to "WTF ARE YOU THINKING?!" It didn't matter to me since I was all set to install Media Composer, but the mountain of issues related to having two Avid products on the same machine (I know, can you believe it?) combined with the new pricing model have us re-thinking that plan.

• Reply 7 of 25
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

A good person to ask would be Larry Jordan - http://www.larryjordan.biz

• Reply 8 of 25

Check out the FCPX Grill Podcast. You'll find plenty of answers there. 

Twitter

@>_>;FCPXGrill

• Reply 9 of 25
    mstone wrote: »

It can be hard learning new things when you get old.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Whatever dude. We all know how this will ultimately turn out. We've seen it many times.

• Reply 11 of 25
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »

Can't say anything about the adoption rate, just that pretty much every company we occasionally work with that was on FCP before FCP X is now on FCP X. We have not moved a single FCP license to another product ourselves. We also did not have many complaints after the launch, most of the initial shortcomings of FCP X did not really affect us (only the initial lack of multi-cam support kept a few projects on the old FCP then).

Our users (we have 25 permanent, plus 15 on demand editing seats, plus 3 dedicated color correction desks) are absolutely happy with it, and the people we hired, who were trained on Avid or Premiere previously, did never complain after some initial orientation issues either. People coming from Premiere unanimously praise FCP X (not astonishing), previous Avid users see the products more head to head... (Just to put this into perspective: we mainly do image videos, and HR and technical training videos, no broadcasting and cinema stuff.)

Good insight! Thanks
  • Reply 12 of 25

Just a small query to anybody using FCP X. How robust are the Blu-ray burning capabilities? Is it good enough to create menus and author a Blu-ray, or will I be better off buying Toast Titanium in addition to FCP X?

Thanks.

• Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Quote:

A good person to ask would be Larry Jordan - http://www.larryjordan.biz

Unless you want a somewhat unbiased or objective opinion. I don't think Larry fits that bill.

Don't get me wrong, I think Larry's genuine in his praise and does a good job at what he does. I'd just consider that, aside from his obvious personal affection for FCP, his being in the business of selling FCP training means he has a vested interest in its continued and growing use, thus diluting any perception of impartiality.

• Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It can be hard learning new things when you get old.

Almost as hard as teaching kids to treat others the way they'd like to be treated themselves.

BTW, age is not a flaw.

Also, you don't have to be old to be a slow-learner. In fact, most of the people I know who are started quite young and managed to stay that way into adulthood.

• Reply 15 of 25
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Unless you want a somewhat unbiased or objective opinion. I don't think Larry fits that bill.

Don't get me wrong, I think Larry's genuine in his praise and does a good job at what he does. I'd just consider that, aside from his obvious personal affection for FCP, his being in the business of selling FCP training means he has a vested interest in its continued and growing use, thus diluting any perception of impartiality.

Right after FCP X came out, he moved into Premier training as well, Avid too, if memory serves. He might be relatively impartial by now.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Right after FCP X came out, he moved into Premier training as well, Avid too, if memory serves. He might be relatively impartial by now.

You are correct, Larry covers a multitude of applications.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member

At least they didn't pull an Aperture move. These days I'd rather not see my pro apps from Apple mentioned on rumor sites. I squirm with hesitation to read they will be discontinued. 

• Reply 18 of 25
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

At least they didn't pull an Aperture move. These days I'd rather not see my pro apps from Apple mentioned on rumor sites. I squirm with hesitation to read they will be discontinued. 

While my initial reaction is to agree with you, I'm at least going to wait for Photos to come out before I judge. It will be free, which is cheaper than Aperture. Has a lot of the Aperture team. I'll reserve judgement for a bit longer. 

• Reply 19 of 25

FCPX has a powerful engine that allows you to do a ton of Motion Graphics within the program itself. It also runs insanely fast on Mavericks as they have optimized the way it utilizes your internal memory. There are a slew of companies that make great plugins with on board controls to edit all parameters within FCPX. A great place to start your journey is www.rippletraining.com. These guys are straight to the point. Also here is an article about an executive decision on switching to FCPX and why they did: http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/06/why-detroits-wxyz-made-the-move-to-final-cut-pro-x/ I was a die hard FCP Studio 7 editor being that I learned on the original FCP. Take the plunge its so worth it. Cheers!!!

• Reply 20 of 25
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

While my initial reaction is to agree with you, I'm at least going to wait for Photos to come out before I judge. It will be free, which is cheaper than Aperture. Has a lot of the Aperture team. I'll reserve judgement for a bit longer. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Are you a professional? That would make the difference in being turned off over Aperture and being patient. The writing is on the wall, get with a company that won't abandon software so you are not caught with your pants down again. I love Apple but I really question why they just couldn't keep on with Aperture. At least I had some notice before football season. FCPX, Motion, Compressor, and Logic Pro. Let us hope they don't go away.