Barnes & Noble partners with Samsung for latest iPad-competing Nook tablet

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Though Barnes & Noble no longer makes its own tablets, it's still in the hardware business with a brand-new $179 Nook intended to take on the iPad, this time with a model built by Apple's chief rival, Samsung.

The Galaxy Tab 4 Nook was officially announced by the bookseller on Wednesday, pitched as a full Android tablet that can also serve as a suitable e-reader. The device targets Apple's iPad mini in the low end of the tablet market, with a 7-inch display and $179 starting price after $20 instant rebate.

The Nook is now available in more than 660 Barnes & Noble stores, as well as through the company's website. It weighs in at 0.6 pounds, slightly undercutting Apple's 0.69-pound iPad mini but with a smaller diagonal display size.

The Galaxy Tab-branded Nook is also 0.35 inches thick, measuring slightly thicker than the iPad mini with Retina display, which measures 0.29 inches. It also has a 1.3-megapixel front camera, 3-megapixel rear camera, Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS support, and comes with 8 gigabytes of storage.

The 7-inch display has a screen resolution of 1,280 by 800 pixels, and it's powered by a 1.2-gigahertz quad-core Snapdragon processor. The Galaxy Tab 4 Nook runs Android 4.4 KitKat, but features the Barnes & Noble Nook store rather than Google Play or Samsung Hub.

Other aspects of Android have been customized, much like previous Nook tablets, including the Nook Library widget on the home screen, displaying recently read titles and new recommended books.

Barnes & Noble is also offering more than $200 worth of free content with new purchases, including popular titles like "Freakonomics," single episodes of shows like HBO's "Veep," and 14-day free trial subscriptions to a range of magazines including "Sports Illustrated." Complimentary content will continue to be made available on an ongoing basis through Barnes & Noble's "Free Fridays" program, offering Nook books, videos or apps every week.

Barnes & Noble entered the hardware business in 2011 with the launch of its first Nook, which was a black-and-white e-reader designed to compete with Amazon's popular book-focused Kindle. But as the iPad began to chip away at traditional e-reader sales, the company released a full color touchscreen tablet in 2012 dubbed the Nook HD+.

Barnes & Noble's stint in the hardware-making business proved short-lived, however, as the company announced in 2013 that it would no longer design and build its own Nook tablets. Instead, going forward it will partner with established hardware makers to sell Nook-branded devices at its stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I think B&N and Nook would be thrilled enough just to "take on" the Kindle...

slightly closer to "picking' on someone their own size".

• Reply 2 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The next "iPad-Killer" has arrived.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    It's great for the price! But there's no comparing it to the iPad, which is in a different price range entirely. Different price range, different specs. Higher priced iPad, better device (usually).
  • Reply 4 of 56
    So it's plastic with an inch smaller screen than the iPad mini but it's thicker and barely any lighter? What a piece of junk. I'll take the old 1stGen mini over the new Barnes & Noble Scamsung Crook.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That Android tablet and inferior wanna be iPad Mini is terrible!

Who in their right mind would buy one of those?

I've seen iPad Minis going for as little as $199 recently. My message to any cheapo Samsung Nook buyers is this: Yeah, I know it's a lot for you, but spend an extra lousy twenty dollars and get the far superior tablet, the damn iPad Mini. The choice is so obvious. 

(1) Better and more refined OS that is easier and more enjoyable to use

(2) More secure

(3) The best app selection and variety on the planet

(4) It's from an American company that innovates, not some foreign company that makes cheap and ugly knockoffs

(5) Far superior tech support should you ever need it. Are you going to walk into a Samsung Store or Barnes and Nobles and have them fix your tablet? Fat Chance!

(6) Do you want to be known as cheap and technically ignorant when people in the know judge you based on your ignorant tablet choosing skills?

(7) Do you want to be a walking joke and have people laughing at you from all directions?

Get the damn iPad Mini, don't be stupid.

• Reply 6 of 56
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    My wife loves the B&W Nook, and I think it is superior to Kindle in useability. Last time she accidentally washed it with her laundry and we had to replace it. Next time I won't be considering this.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it's a lot for you, but spend an extra lousy twenty dollars...

LULZ!
  • Reply 8 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    An iPad competitor?? Hardly.

B&N is targeting this at the book and magazine market specifically. If you go to their webpage it's pretty clear who their intended audience is. If it's meant to compete with anything it would be Amazon's Kindle's (Fire). Certainly not designed to take on the iPad Mini IMHO

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/samsung-galaxy-tab-4-nook-barnes-noble/1119732448
  • Reply 9 of 56
    gatorguy wrote: »
    An iPad competitor?? Hardly.

B&N is targeting this at the book and magazine market specifically. If you go to their webpage it's pretty clear who their intended audience is. If it's meant to compete with anything it would be Amazon's Kindle's (Fire). Certainly not designed to take on the iPad Mini IMHO

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/samsung-galaxy-tab-4-nook-barnes-noble/1119732448
    That's like saying some Windows laptop isn't competing with the MacBook because it's a cheap pos. Newsflash, it's all the same market! There are no varying degrees, Barnes & Noble will try to convince people to buy this over the Kindle Fire AND iPad mini. Just because they lack the engineering prowess, supply chain and brand confidence to stand more directly toe to toe with Apple doesn't mean they're not a competitor.
  • Reply 10 of 56

This is AI's way of getting paid by Samsung to get some publicity for another award losing tablet device. 

Instead of comparing the new Nook device to Amazon's Kindle, the Nook's true competitor, AI decides to focus a competition with the iPad Mini.

How about the Nook competing with Samsung's own tablets? Those tablets are supposed to be shipping in large numbers! Wouldn't the new new Nook take a bite out of those shipments long before they took a bite out of iPad sales?

i guess the iPad Mini competition is the only way most Apple fans would even know the new Samsung Nook even existed.

• Reply 11 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I think this is more of a competitor to Kindle than the iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    jungmark wrote: »
    I think this is more of a competitor to Kindle than the iPad.
    The Kindle that Amazon splashed across its storefront homepage next to an iPad mini for comparison sake? The Kindle that Amazon spent millions of dollars advertising on TV as a superior device to the iPad?

For crying out loud, these devices are all on the same playing field. They all purposely undercut the iPad mini then openly try to convince customers to buy their cheaper devices over those "expensive" Apple products. AI was not out of line to highlight a new entrant into this cesspool of a market.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Yawn
  • Reply 14 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

AI was not out of line to highlight a new entrant into this cesspool of a market.

That is true! Agreed!

• Reply 15 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    macvicta wrote: »
    That's like saying some Windows laptop isn't competing with the MacBook because it's a cheap pos. Newsflash, it's all the same market! There are no varying degrees, Barnes & Noble will try to convince people to buy this over the Kindle Fire AND iPad mini. Just because they lack the engineering prowess, supply chain and brand confidence to stand more directly toe to toe with Apple doesn't mean they're not a competitor.
    You didn't actually visit the B&N product page did you? Had you bothered it would have been clear who B&N is marketing their Nook to. It ain't the iPad crowd.:rolleyes:
  • Reply 16 of 56
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    "Nothing from nothing... Still leaves nothing. You gotta have something, if you wanna be with me."--Billy Preston
  • Reply 17 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

why isn't green peace going after all these companies who are creating all this e-waste.

Hell Dell now have a table which is so bad they will give you one free if you buy a cheap-o desktop machine.

• Reply 18 of 56
    Meh. Not in the market for B&N or Samsung reader, but Amazon needs more competition, don't you think?. :)
  • Reply 19 of 56
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You didn't actually visit the B&N product page did you? Had you bothered it would have been clear who B&N is marketing their Nook to. It ain't the iPad crowd.:rolleyes:
    And what's the "iPad crowd," exactly? I guess if B&N doesn't feature pics of people holding Starbucks lattes, it's all good and they don't mean Apple any harm, right? You're insane. FFS the whole page from top to bottom is a direct Apple.com ripoff.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    j100j100 Posts: 1member
    Quote:

(4) It's from an American company that innovates, not some foreign company that makes cheap and ugly knockoffs

Hmmm ...I thought Apple was an Irish company selling various "Made in China" electronics.