NFL Now channel arrives on Apple TV with highlights & original series

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2014
Nearly two weeks after first appearing in app form on the iPhone and iPad, the National Football League's new NFL Now digital content network has made its way to Apple's set-top streamer with news, highlights, and archival footage.

The new channel sports a design reminiscent of the Apple TV's other channels, with a series of scrolling billboards along the top and a listing of popular videos below. Streams of original NFL series like "Hard Knocks" and "A Football Life" are available, as are game highlights.

Additionally, viewers can access their personalized NFL Now stream on the Apple TV. The NFL says that the custom stream --?based on the viewer's favorite teams, players, and fantasy roster -- will change over time, "to the point where no two registered fans will have the same experience on NFL Now."

The NFL promises to stock the channel with 105 hours of original content each week to supplement the 400 available hours of historical footage. Viewers can unlock additional content, including instant in-game highlights, with a $1.99-per-month subscription to NFL Now Plus that can be purchased directly on the Apple TV.

NFL Now Plus will cost $4.99 per month for international viewers, but will grant those living outside the U.S., Mexico, and the U.K. access to a live stream of NFL Network as well as Sunday access to NFL Red Zone.

For users without an Apple TV, the NFL Now app is available now for iPhone and iPad as a free, 27.9-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The writings on the wall...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

The NFL would have to pay me (a lot!) to watch such drivel.

• Reply 3 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "It's a Hard Knock Football Life"?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

Until I can get NFL games live, especially those out of area, this channel does nothing for me. Even if they were to offer actual games, they probably would require a current subscription to cable or satellite, which makes no sense. 

• Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The NFL would have to pay me (a lot!) to watch such drivel.

yes they would.

But their short term goal is to get the Television and Cable channel networks to PAY THEM A LOT to not let you watch such drivel on your iDevice.

Their long term goal is to bypass the Television and Cable networks and make all the subscription fees and  advertising money their own.

Apple... just want's their xx% from in-app purchases.

Follow the Money.

• Reply 6 of 9
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    It can't possibly be worse than the ios app. Really, no way. Ill try it later today.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    But their short term goal is to get the Television and Cable channel networks to PAY THEM A LOT to not let you watch such drivel on your iDevice.

Their long term goal is to bypass the Television and Cable networks and make all the subscription fees and  advertising money their own.

Follow the Money.

looks like more and more TV peeps(NFL, ABC news) are getting comfortable with Apple. I Don't expect all networks on Apple TV tomorrow but baby steps are happening. The barriers are long contracts with cable providers and possibly the government.

These TV peeps hate Giggle and are betting on Apple it seems. I don't see Apple
    releasing a new Apple TV until
    they can announce an extraordinary shift. What's the point in "more power! same content!"

I'm no expert in this field but obvious is obvious.

correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 9

Yay I guess or something. Some sort of fan of sports might enjoy this.

• Reply 9 of 9
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    yes they would.

Follow the Money.

I don't agree, this is just supplementing the income they already make from the networks. Simply another revenue stream.