Apple updates pro-level video suite with fixes for Final Cut Pro X, Compressor and Motion

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Seems the meme here is 'Let's be nice to FCP X or they could pull it altogether' after the Aperture thing. X has its merits, but professional workflow integration at high end broadcast or film is not one of them - no tracks, flubbery unlockable timeline, save it for informercials or rapid news breaks.

You often hear that you can do 80% of the job for 20% of the complexity. We'll 80% of FCS is FCP X. 80% of FCP X is iMovie. Try cutting a feature in that.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fearless View Post

Try cutting a feature in that.

WAIT! DON'T... too late. Here comes the flood of "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" arguments that ignore the fact that it was cut on FCP7 and is a popular example because it is NOT the norm...

Personally I endorse "use whatever works for you." If you can get your head around the way FCPX works and get stuff done in a timely manner, more power to you. I know some people who can and do.

• Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

At least they didn't pull an Aperture move. These days I'd rather not see my pro apps from Apple mentioned on rumor sites. I squirm with hesitation to read they will be discontinued. 

Squirm no more; put your trust in Apple.

• Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

While my initial reaction is to agree with you, I'm at least going to wait for Photos to come out before I judge. It will be free, which is cheaper than Aperture. Has a lot of the Aperture team. I'll reserve judgement for a bit longer. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

While my initial reaction is to agree with you, I'm at least going to wait for Photos to come out before I judge. It will be free, which is cheaper than Aperture. Has a lot of the Aperture team. I'll reserve judgement for a bit longer. 

Are you a professional? That would make the difference in being turned off over Aperture and being patient. The writing is on the wall, get with a company that won't abandon software so you are not caught with your pants down again. I love Apple but I really question why they just couldn't keep on with Aperture. At least I had some notice before football season. FCPX, Motion, Compressor, and Logic Pro. Let us hope they don't go away.

Don't put the cart before the horse. Aperture will work fine for many a long year. You my find that the new Photos application is even better than Aperture.

• Reply 25 of 25
    freerange wrote: »
    So what is the current professional environment like for FCP X after all the complaints when it launched? What has the adoption rate been in the professional world? And what are user's impressions? Any insight out there from actual pros? I just haven't heard much since all the complaints during the initial launch period and am curious...
    Apparently pretty high, see it used quite a lot.
    ahmlco wrote: »
    IOW, Apple has released some updates for their Pro apps... that they haven't yet decided to discontinue.
    They redid there pro desktop, so pro apps have no reason to leave, we might see a photos app with a iPhoto and then an aperture equivalent mode.