First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
A batch of photos out of Asia on Wednesday supposedly reveal a rear shell bound for Apple's "iPhone 6" and show a direct comparison between another alleged handset part.

Purportedly coming from a source "deep within Apple's supply chain," the images posted to evasi0njailbreak.com are claimed to be some of the first to show Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone 6 aluminum chassis. Until now, most unconfirmed parts leaks have been related to the 4.7-inch next-generation handset.

As seen in the photo above, which highlights the disparity the two "leaked" parts' sizes, Apple's "phablet" device design could resemble an enlarged version of the 4.7-inch iPhone revamp. The same hallmarks are present in both variants, including rounded edges, recessed volume controls, side-mounted sleep/wake button and thin profile.

By itself, the alleged 5.5-inch iPhone 6 rear shell bears the same machining marks, anchors and screw bosses seen on previous parts said to be bound for the 4.7-inch version. The larger shell also features an Apple logo cutout that will presumably be filled with a radio transparent material for better signal transmission, an engineering design first seen in the iPad mini with Retina display.

Not much is known about the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, though recent reports claim the unit will sport a 2,915mAh battery to help power the larger display and advanced internals. In late July, a parts leak supposedly pictured the phablet's sleep/wake and volume control flex cables and offered a glimpse at the device's size.

Apple is expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone at a media event on Sept. 9, though the date has yet to be confirmed by the company. Speculation has pointed toward the release of both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch sizes, though recent rumors have said the larger version could be delayed due to production issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    For Sog

1387245361916.gif
  • Reply 2 of 106

Interested to see how the usual suspects spin and deny it this time.

Remember when it was reported that the 4.7 would ramp up production in mid July while the 5.5 would ramp up production in mid August, due to the expected lower demand and thus needing less time to produce the phone before launch? Here you go.

• Reply 3 of 106
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Give me Touch ID and 2G ram and NFC on some level and and and.... I'll be mostly set.
  • Reply 4 of 106
    I was really hoping Apple wouldn't copy Samsung and the phablet trend. Sigh.
  • Reply 5 of 106

Turnabout is FairPlay, ay Rogifan?

Or are you just throwing a hook & worm in the water...

• Reply 6 of 106
    Turnabout is FairPlay, ay Rogifan?

Or are you just throwing a hook & worm in the water...
    I hate big ass phones. How do you use a 5.5" device comfortably with one hand? Or does that not matter anymore?
  • Reply 7 of 106
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Agree, those plastic bands better be for some useful purpose... Maybe an embedded antennae for cellular and nfc or something.

But really, who cares since almost everyone is covering their phone with a case...

I love my credit card slot case and the only way my case becomes obsolete: saphire scratch and crack-proof screen, dent-proof metal body, nfc credit card capability, and drivers licenses, ID's etc that become apple compatible.

I bet i have to wait about 10 more years for "cards" to finally dissapear... Maybe longer depending on the politics of it.
  • Reply 8 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hate big ass phones. How do you use a 5.5" device comfortably with one hand? Or does that not matter anymore?

I have a Note 2 and can use it comfortably in one hand. I can even type comfortably with one hand. It fits in my pockets just fine. 

Now, I'm a relatively tall guy. But I see smaller guys and gals use them too, mostly pretty proficiently with one hand too. And sometimes... they use two hands... because they aren't hung up on using it with one hand. It doesn't bother them to do so. Hell, even when I had the tiny iPhone 3GS, I would still type with two hands most of the time just because it's so much faster than typing with one hand.

• Reply 9 of 106
    Hmmmmm. This will be a tough decision which to get... Can't wait til the 9th to hear the specs.
  • Reply 10 of 106

Rogifan- You can make it work with one hand, as long as it's not TOO big. Just gotta put all the most used 'buttons' within the radius of a thumb from one of the lower corners. 

I don't think I'd go for the 5.5" (assuming it exists). However, using a BT would enable one to not look like they're holding a tablet to their head while on the phone!

• Reply 11 of 106

I never thought I'd say but I'll probably wait for the 5.5". I never really saw much of a difference going from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5S. I think I'll definitely notice the difference going from a 4" to a 5.5". I mostly use two hands anyways with my 5S to type so I won't have a problem with finger reach. I can sit on my big-ass under my big-ass fan with my big-ass phone doing internet searches for big-ass women

• Reply 12 of 106

The 5.5 will be for those who struggle with technology and need big buttons, who don't mind looking like a dork when making phone calls, who never carry anything in their other hand, who can't afford an iPad and who are female and keep their phone in their handbag.

• Reply 13 of 106
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

I’m with you. Of course the tech weenie wannabes want to lug around behemoths in order to prop up their egos but they have not been Apple’s target audience in the past. I, for one, will not be buying some giant piece of crap. I was hoping this would be the year my wife and I finally moved from plain old mobile phones to iPhones. Alas it is apparently not to be, and we will not buy last years models. So I guess I’ll have to settle for an Android device of some sort that can be used with one hand. It won’t be an iPhone and it won’t run iOS but I’ll learn to live with it.

• Reply 14 of 106
    OK, I called it [URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181908/purported-iphone-6-render-shows-sub-1mm-rear-camera-lens-protrusion#post_2581961]here[/URL]. It's obvious now that the small strips at the top and bottom are recessed, so that the protruding camera lens doesn't go above the level of the main part of the back. The plastic strips must go around the entire shoulder of that raised portion, so as to receive signals from all directions. This applies to both sizes.

Edited for clarity.
  • Reply 15 of 106
    On a side note, it's actually kind of amusing to watch people post who are so insecure that they feel like they have to insult those who want a larger device. The existence of this phone doesn't make your own life worse in any way. You're not the target audience. There is a smaller device for you, and with reduced bezel it doesn't even have to be much larger in width and height than the existing 4 inch model. :)
  • Reply 16 of 106
    I hope those fugly bands are not in the final product or if they are they don't look that fugly.
  • Reply 17 of 106
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope those fugly bands are not in the final product or if they are they don't look that fugly.

Maybe there's a color option where they're less visible, or maybe in the final product the way internals are arranged make them less obvious. Or maybe they do something cool like glow to function as notification leds.
  • Reply 18 of 106
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I still don't believe it is really happening.

But if it does, I want one.

• Reply 19 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fuzzypaws wrote: »
    Interested to see how the usual suspects spin and deny it this time.

Remember when it was reported that the 4.7 would ramp up production in mid July while the 5.5 would ramp up production in mid August, due to the expected lower demand and thus needing less time to produce the phone before launch? Here you go.

Deny what? Here go what? This is an image from Asia. We seem to get a few real ones and plenty of fake ones every year but the only constant is that nothing is certain until Apple makes it certain.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    Quote:

I heard a rumor that the final bands light up from LEDs in the phone while in use, with the color programmable like those Phillips LED bulbs. The same guy told me the feature will only be on the larger phone, with the smaller phone gaps filled in with common tile grout. Who is this guy? I met him in a bar, and that's a pretty reliable source.