First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    jollypaul wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope those fugly bands are not in the final product or if they are they don't look that fugly.

I heard a rumor that the final bands light up from LEDs in the phone while in use, with the color programmable like those Phillips LED bulbs. The same guy told me the feature will only be on the larger phone, with the smaller phone gaps filled in with common tile grout. Who is this guy? I met him in a bar, and that's a pretty reliable source.

Yeah, well the guy I met at the bus stop said the plastic strips were to allow NSA eavesdropping and to admit their signals to your phone so as to generate signals with it to control your brainwaves. And he was pretty high-up n the organization—they don't give that metal headgear to just anybody, you know!
  • Reply 22 of 106
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Deny what? Here go what? This is an image from Asia. We seem to get a few real ones and plenty of fake ones every year but the only constant is that nothing is certain until Apple makes it certain.

Sure, it could just be something that someone mocked up to scam bloggers with. I don't find that especially likely though. It's too precisely machined to have been made by hand and it lines up too well with other pictures and information. Not to mention, what does someone in China have to gain by going to all this effort to pull one over on bloggers in Europe and the United States? Supposing they somehow used the machinery at the factory where they worked just to sell a fake exclusive for a few bucks, and did so without being caught, they'd be blacklisted by their journalist / analyst contacts so it'd be a one time thing.

Occam's Razor suggests it's real.
  • Reply 23 of 106
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

though recent rumors have said the larger version could be delayed due to production issues.

Bollocks. It will be a marketing decision. Sell everyone a 4.7"phone then make them so envious a few months later that half will upgrade to 5.5".

• Reply 24 of 106
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    though recent rumors have said the larger version could be delayed due to production issues.
    Bollocks. It will be a marketing decision. Sell everyone a 4.7"phone then make them so envious a few months later that half will upgrade to 5.5".

Yep. ...er, no.
  • Reply 25 of 106
    Amazing that these "leaks" happen on a daily basis considering how locked-down Apple is. I consider these mostly Apple sponsored leaks. I say this because in the all the hype/predictions around the so-called iWatch not one single image has leaked. Nothing, zip, nada. And you know they have manufactured thousands of the things in some form or another to do test runs. Probably in the 100's of thousands. Yet not a single credible image has appeared anywhere. Pretty amazing when you think about it because the iWatch has to be the most sought after pre-announced, pre-production device on the planet.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    Amazing that these "leaks" happen on a daily basis considering how locked-down Apple is. I consider these mostly Apple sponsored leaks. I say this because in the all the hype/predictions around the so-called iWatch not one single image has leaked. Nothing, zip, nada. And you know they have manufactured thousands of the things in some form or another to do test runs. Probably in the 100's of thousands. Yet not a single credible image has appeared anywhere. Pretty amazing when you think about it because the iWatch has to be the most sought after pre-announced, pre-production device on the planet.

I believe this as well. Apple is making people aware that larger iPhones are finally coming, so that people who might otherwise jump ship or just go in for their next replacement Android phone think about it and wait.
  • Reply 27 of 106

Unless, of course, the iWatch is an iUnicorn.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I hate big ass phones. How do you use a 5.5" device comfortably with one hand? Or does that not matter anymore?

I do it everyday. Not a problem at all. The future is this and around this size phone. Soon,meaning in a few more years, every phone will be 4.5 or larger. You'll have no choice.

It's a smart device now. Not just a phone. It'll run everything from your car to your house to you work to everything. It's going to be the hub of your life.
  • Reply 29 of 106
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    I hate big ass phones. How do you use a 5.5" device comfortably with one hand? Or does that not matter anymore?

I do it everyday. Not a problem at all. The future is this and around this size phone. Soon,meaning in a few more years, every phone will be 4.5 or larger. You'll have no choice.

It's a smart device now. Not just a phone. It'll run everything from your car to your house to you work to everything. It's going to be the hub of your life.

Why can't it do all that in a usable size? And a usable aspect ratio like 4:3, while we're at it?
  • Reply 30 of 106
    Why can't it do all that in a usable size? And a usable aspect ratio like 4:3, while we're at it?

Because there are a ton of people who want a bigger screen to do more. I hear it everyday when I ask why they are choosing a larger screen phone such as the Note 3 or LG G3. The single most common answer is because of the screen size.
  • Reply 31 of 106
    sirlance99 wrote: »

Because there are a ton of people who want a bigger screen to do more. I hear it everyday when I ask why they are choosing a larger screen phone such as the Note 3 or LG G3. The single most common answer is because of the screen size.

Yeah, well, every day somebody on the bus pulls out one of these tombstones and holds it up to their head, and everybody else rolls their eyes and smirks at them behind their backs. We're doing it because they look like total retards. Make no mistake, we're laughing at them because they're idiots and they look like idiots and they apparently want to look like idiots.
  • Reply 32 of 106
    Yeah, well, every day somebody on the bus pulls out one of these tombstones and holds it up to their head, and everybody else rolls their eyes and smirks at them behind their backs. We're doing it because they look like total retards. Make no mistake, we're laughing at them because they're idiots and they look like idiots and they apparently want to look like idiots.

So why is EVERY OEM now including Apple making this size phone? You need to stop judging people with what they want or have and worry about yourself.

If you really understood the mobile industry as a whole and how it's transforming over the next five years maybe, just maybe you'll understand why this is happening. Step outside of your small box and look at the bigger picture.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    You can't compare the iPhone to the iwatch. It is expected that Apple is producing somewhere between 60 and 75 million iPhones. That is a huge number of units in the supply chain. This is being announced in September and will be on sale in September. That is why there are so many part leaks.

There is no date for the iwatch yet. There are not hundreds of thousands made. There could be a surprise, but all the rumors seem to say that they are still working on the final design and having trouble to finalize. I am certain that a month before lunch you will see parts start to pop up. Either way that will be easier to control as there will be far less contract suppliers and just a few million units.
  • Reply 34 of 106
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

When you manufacture 1 million phones/day in several factories simultaneously on other continents, leaks will happen. When you control small test batches of a new iWatch, leaks are rare because so few people are even getting their hands on it. This time next year we will be seeing leaked 2nd gen iWatch photos like crazy but not now. Enjoy the secrecy while it lasts.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I’m with you. Of course the tech weenie wannabes want to lug around behemoths in order to prop up their egos but they have not been Apple’s target audience in the past. I, for one, will not be buying some giant piece of crap. I was hoping this would be the year my wife and I finally moved from plain old mobile phones to iPhones. Alas it is apparently not to be, and we will not buy last years models. So I guess I’ll have to settle for an Android device of some sort that can be used with one hand. It won’t be an iPhone and it won’t run iOS but I’ll learn to live with it.

Considering the  size and shape of the displays we've seen leaked, I would guess the new 4.7" iPhone will be about 1/4" wider and 1/2" taller than the existing iPhone 5s.  Not so gigantic.  And it's probably not much heavier than the 4" models, which are pretty light (100gms).

• Reply 36 of 106

I find it crazy how people don't want others to have what they don't like....

It's ok if You  don't want a 5.5" iPhone, but I Want a 5.5" iPhone. 

I don't want to carry an iPad mini and an iPhone. Too much trouble switching back and forth. 

I have used the 6" Nokia 1520 for a couple weeks just to check it out and I was in LOVE with that screen.

I could text on the 6" monster, one handed, due to swipe keyboard, 

Most people tap out texts using Both hand on an iPhone because its 2x faster since it Doesn't have swipe, yet. 

5.5" will be prefect. Nice size screen, easy to use one handed, it will be awesome. 

Some people want apple to stay at 3.5-4", fine, you can have that, but give me my 5.5" too.

• Reply 37 of 106
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    r4d4 wrote: »
    I find it crazy how people don't want others to have what they don't like....

It's ok if You  don't want a 5.5" iPhone, but I Want a 5.5" iPhone. 
    I don't want to carry an iPad mini and an iPhone. Too much trouble switching back and forth. 

I have used the 6" Nokia 1520 for a couple weeks just to check it out and I was in LOVE with that screen.
    I could text on the 6" monster, one handed, due to swipe keyboard, 

Most people tap out texts using Both hand on an iPhone because its 2x faster since it Doesn't have swipe, yet. 
    5.5" will be prefect. Nice size screen, easy to use one handed, it will be awesome. 

Some people want apple to stay at 3.5-4", fine, you can have that, but give me my 5.5" too.
    here 5.5"
  • Reply 38 of 106
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Don't buy that one then. Choice is good.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I'm a nerd , I don't have any friends, therefore I will never look silly putting a phablet to my ear, thank God. If I actually get a call, I just use the speaker anyhow, the rare times that happens. the rest of the time I messaging, checking Facebook and generally doing all the usual "no-life" things most people do. Bring on the 5.5 inch YEAH

I am holding out for the 8 inch one, then chicks might say hello to me?
  • Reply 40 of 106
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    There's no reason anyone needs to hold a big phone up to their head either. Even on my current iPhone, I use an earpeice (or the earPods) when I'm on the phone most of the time.

Choice. Is. Good.