First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    I'm torn over the two sizes if there are going to be two sizes. I'm leaning 5.5 only because at my age and eyes not being as good as they once were when I was younger, I think I'd appreciate the extra screen real estate for all the things the phone has to offer provided things viewable are a tad larger if it works that way. Regarding holding it up to your ear, it is what it is, but I see a lot of people 'talk' to their phone during their conversations, holding it out in front of their face versus the old fashion way.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

1387245361916.gif

I quite enjoy The Happening, as it’s presented on the Internet, and fully support Ron Paul’s role therein.

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Want a 5.5" iPhone. 

People don’t know what they want until you show it to them.

To modernize a famous saying, before the iPhone, you’d’ve wanted an even smaller Razr.

Too much trouble switching back and forth. 

So… don’t. Carry both and use HANDOFF with iOS 8. Problem solved. Leave the phone in your pocket WHERE IT WILL FIT. Use the iPad.

5.5" will be prefect. Nice size screen, easy to use one handed, it will be awesome. 

It’s like I’m in an alternate universe where a hand span of 9.5” is the smallest you’ll see on a human…

Did I miss something? Is Apple creating devices for the Globetrotter homeworld?

• Reply 43 of 106
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    r4d4 wrote: »
    I find it crazy how people don't want others to have what they don't like....

It's ok if You  don't want a 5.5" iPhone, but I Want a 5.5" iPhone. 
    I don't want to carry an iPad mini and an iPhone. Too much trouble switching back and forth. 

I have used the 6" Nokia 1520 for a couple weeks just to check it out and I was in LOVE with that screen.
    I could text on the 6" monster, one handed, due to swipe keyboard, 

Most people tap out texts using Both hand on an iPhone because its 2x faster since it Doesn't have swipe, yet. 
    5.5" will be prefect. Nice size screen, easy to use one handed, it will be awesome. 

Some people want apple to stay at 3.5-4", fine, you can have that, but give me my 5.5" too.

See, this is how I feel. Just like some people on here despise larger phones, I despise 4" phones. Way too small for me to use in the way I use my device.

For the first time since the original iPhone, I'm extremely excited for this 5.5" iPhone. It's the only way I'll be able to come back to an iPhone full time.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    I quite enjoy The Happening, as it’s presented on the Internet, and fully support Ron Paul’s role therein.

To modernize a famous saying, before the iPhone, you’d’ve wanted an even smaller Razr.

So… don’t. Carry both and use HANDOFF with iOS 8. Problem solved. Leave the phone in your pocket WHERE IT WILL FIT. Use the iPad.

It’s like I’m in an alternate universe where a hand span of 9.5” is the smallest you’ll see on a human…

I know that I WANT a 5.5" iPhone even though I haven't seen it yet. Just because you don't doesn't mean other will not. I can guarantee you that if this is true, the 5.5" iPhone will sell 10s of millions. So please let others have what they want and not what they are told to have. Choice is good.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fuzzypaws wrote: »
    Occam's Razor suggests it's real.

1) Occams doesn't suggest anything. It states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Right now, the fewest assumptions is actually to say it doesn't exist because, in fact, right now, it doesn't exist.

2) It also doesn't exclude the possibility of, other, more complicated solutions that may ultimately prove correct.

3) It still comes back to we don't know. We can guess and we may be right and our rationale may even be sound in retrospect but we can't know. As I've stated, I think it's going happen despite such a small percentage of Android-based devices are over 4.5".

paul94544 wrote: »
    …I will never look silly putting a phablet to my ear, thank God. If I actually get a call, I just use the speaker anyhow...

Or use headphones.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Choice is good.

Seems to be the only line anyone can manage to come up with. Apple specifically doesn’t work that way.

• Reply 47 of 106
    Seems to be the only line anyone can manage to come up with. Apple specifically doesn’t work that way.

Yet, Apple is creating more choice. Funny how that is.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    I know that I WANT a 5.5" iPhone even though I haven't seen it yet. Just because you don't doesn't mean other will not. I can guarantee you that if this is true, the 5.5" iPhone will sell 10s of millions. So please let others have what they want and not what they are told to have. Choice is good.

I think I'll like a 4.7' iPhone as I think that will be very close in volume and weight to iPhones I've had previously, but the 5.5" seems like it would be too big for my needs. I'll reverse final judgement until I can test at least one of them… assuming the rumours are accurate.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Yet, Apple is creating more choice. Funny how that is.

Are they? You’ve proof they’re releasing this device?

• Reply 50 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Haha, I told you all just yesterday.

A lot of people are going to have a tough time deciding which model to get.

I don't really care, since both models will sell well, and Apple will be raking in the bucks.

• Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

shut up, nothing you say matters to anyone but you... go away troll

• Reply 52 of 106

Are they? You’ve proof they’re releasing this device?

Let's take the 5.5" out of the picture for just one moment. It's pretty much a given that they are creating something around the 4.7". Therefore, creating more choice then they had before. So, yes, Apple is creating more choice. Just like, if it's this year or a few more years beyond, they will create yet another screen size. Eventually Apple will have several different sizes.
  • Reply 53 of 106

shut up, nothing you say matters to anyone but you... go away troll

lol. If that’s the best you can do, enjoy your delusions. Or, alternatively, your 6’7” height. Note that you’re taller than the vast majority of people, and as such are outside Apple’s general range of product.

• Reply 54 of 106
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Let's take the 5.5" out of the picture for just one moment. It's pretty much a given that they are creating something around the 4.7". Therefore, creating more choice then they had before. So, yes, Apple is creating more choice. Just like, if it's this year or a few more years beyond, they will create yet another screen size. Eventually Apple will have several different sizes.

"Pretty much a given" isn't a sure thing. Again, we don't know for sure even if we wouldn't bet against it. That's the point so making definitive statements is simply illogical. Remember the case(?) maker that was so sure the tapered iPhone was real that they made cases for it despite that never actually happening?
  • Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

lol. If that’s the best you can do, enjoy your delusions. Or, alternatively, your 6’7” height. Note that you’re taller than the vast majority of people, and as such are outside Apple’s general range of product.

You already stated you wanted Nothing to do with this phone because even the 4.7" is too big for your tiny hands.

No one has to be 6'7" to want a bigger phone. 

I have used ALL kinds of phones from 2.1" to 6" phones because I enjoy things that light up and beep. 5.5" will be perfectly usable 1 handed by everyone, well, other than you and your tiny tiny hands. 

• Reply 56 of 106

Look troll.

I guess you think that if you say it enough times, it becomes true. Like how fairies exist or that Gary Busey’s teeth are small.

You already stated you wanted Nothing to do with this phone because even the 4.7" is too big for your tiny hands.

I want nothing to do with the 5.5” “phone” because the 4.7” is the maximum size usable one-handedly for the majority of the population.

No one cares what you think.

Aww, look at the guy with the giant hands, thinks this is an argument. Cute.

You sit in moms basement and troll these forums 24/7. 

Humor meter at 60% and rising.

No one has to be 6'7" to want a bigger phone. 

Never said that.

5.5 will be perfectly usable 1 handed… 

Except no, all reviews and all real world use of all phones that large show otherwise. 

• Reply 57 of 106
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    5.5 with no bezels could work.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    jamesvjamesv Posts: 33member
    "Customers want what we don't have"-Apple.
    Who in all reality didn't see this coming at some point? Bigger screens have been the only leg Android has had left to stand on. Now that Apple is making this next series of iPhones even thinner, it will be that much easier to grip & use with one hand as well as the OS adjustments with the swipe from the side ect...Surely Apple will gain much more in profits with a 4.7 & 5.5 available than just a 4.7. I'm glad Apple has waited this long to compete on the larger screen, the thinness really is key & I believe they went about it the right way & it will pay off in a big way. #destroyandroid.
  • Reply 59 of 106
    jamesvjamesv Posts: 33member
    I guess you think that if you say it enough times, it becomes true. Like how fairies exist or that Gary Busey’s teeth are small.

I want nothing to do with the 5.5” “phone” because the 4.7” is the maximum size usable one-handedly for the majority of the population.

Aww, look at the guy with the giant hands, thinks this is an argument. Cute.

Humor meter at 60% and rising.

Never said that.

Except no, all reviews and all real world use of all phones that large show otherwise. 
    Except " all other phones that large" won't be as thin as the next iPhones. Making the iPhone at them sizes the first to be able to use COMFORTABLY......with 1 hand!
  • Reply 60 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jamesv wrote: »
    Except " all other phones that large" won't be as thin as the next iPhones. Making the iPhone at them sizes the first to be able to use COMFORTABLY......with 1 hand!
    FWIW there are several 4.7" smartphones thinner than what Apple offers. There will probably be thinner 5.5" phones too if Apple ever enters the phablet category. To be honest I don't get the fixation on having the thinnest smart devices anyway. Perhaps offering a bit thicker device allowing for a larger battery might have more benefits than downsides.