Walmart discounts 16GB iPhone 5c to 97 cents, 16GB iPhone 5s to $79 for 90 days

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2019
Walmart on Wednesday announced an aggressive 90-day iPhone sale that shaves $20 off Apple's 16GB iPhone 5s and about $28 off the 16GB iPhone 5c, bringing the latter model's up-front cost down to less than a dollar.

In an apparent effort to move existing inventory ahead of Apple's expected "iPhone 6," Walmart has initiated a temporary fire sale on 16GB iPhone 5s and 5c models purchased with a two-year contract, reports Engadget.

The discounts are being applied to Walmart's recently lowered permanent iPhone pricing, with out-the-door cost of a 16GB iPhone 5s dropping from $99 to $79, while 16GB iPhone 5c models go from $29 to only 97 cents. Sale pricing requires a two-year contract with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or US Cellular.

Apple is expected to reveal the next-generation "iPhone 6" lineup at a special event on Sept. 9. Along with a much-rumored 4.7-inch version, the company may also release a 5.5-inch "phablet" iPhone 6 next month, though insiders say production issues may push back release as far as 2015.

While most attention has been paid to the 4.7-inch model, rumors regarding the phablet variant are slowly trickling out, including photos on Wednesday that showed what is claimed to be a rear shell bound for the large-screened handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    HOLY COW!! Move them iPhones !!

This is only good news for Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 8

So many sites reporting this but the Walmart site shows $29 for iPhone 5c on 2 year contract.  How do I get it for 97 cents?

In the end isn't it cheaper to just buy the Straight Talk Apple iPhone 5C 4G LTE 16GB for $449 outright?

• Reply 3 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

97¢ is such a stupid price.  Part of me wishes sellers would just round to the dollar/pound/euro/etc to save me carrying pennies around.

Obviously I could refuse the pennies, but then that feels like I'm turning away money, which is even more stupid.

• Reply 4 of 8
    I have a friend in marketing who once told me that research has indicated the number 7 in a price has a psychological effect and really does result in more sales.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Let's wait in line st Walmart ! But wait, how much is that 2 year contract? Unless you tell me that, this @news story@ is just an ad for Walmart. The DIFFERENCE between what I pay per month with a pre paid 5S and the typical contract could add up to $1400 or $1500 over two years. (Hint: I pay less). Dudes, that sucks!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    The 5C is a really good deal considering Apple will likely make an 8GB for the $0 option when the 6 comes out.

For bargain shoppers they can now get the standard 16GB model for virtually the same price.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mikesmoke wrote: »
    I have a friend in marketing who once told me that research has indicated the number 7 in a price has a psychological effect and really does result in more sales.
    Because it less then 9, a 2cent bargain is mentally based.
    blackbook wrote: »
    The 5C is a really good deal considering Apple will likely make an 8GB for the $0 option when the 6 comes out.

For bargain shoppers they can now get the standard 16GB model for virtually the same price.
    there already is a 8gb free in some countries, they likely will make it 16 gb and throw away 8 gb all together(as well up to 32gb).

The thing here is iPhone 5C is likely this price soon and 5S likely $100, so this may be permanent after the 6 is released.