Intuit releases redesigned Quicken 2015 for Mac, first new version in 7 years

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2014
Financial software firm Intuit on Thursday released Quicken 2015 for Mac, the first new version of the company's flagship personal finance and accounting suite to make its way to Apple's desktop platform in over seven years.

The new version of Quicken maintains many of the features found in previous releases, though some have been omitted. Among those missing are the ability to create a 12-month budget, show loan amortization, and pay bills directly within the application.

In addition, functionality that has long been a part of Quicken's Windows version -- such as multi-currency conversion and advanced investment options --?has yet to cross the operating system divice. Intuit is allowing customers to vote on which features will be added next, and the company says that they will be provided as free updates.

Quicken 2015 for Mac also sports an updated design, reminiscent of Apple's new "flat" design direction in OS X Yosemite.

Intuit's free companion app for iOS will also work with the new Mac version, allowing users to synchronize data and monitor account balances and budgets from their iPhone or iPad. The app will also let users take pictures of receipts to track purchases.

The last major Mac version of Quicken was released in 2007, and the company unveiled a stripped-down "essentials" product in 2010. Users of previous Quicken for Mac and Quicken for Windows versions, as well as Quicken Essentials for Mac, will be able to import their data to Quicken 2015.

Quicken 2015 for Mac is available directly from Quicken.com for $74.99. Quicken Money Management for iOS is a free, 20.6-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    The price is $74.99 and can be had from the App Store as well for the same price.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    More of the same BS from Quicken. For years Mac users have been asking for feature parity and file format compatibility and Intuit has ignored them. They're not getting my money.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member

Too little, WAY WAY too late.  I switched to iBank when they couldn't be bothered to make an Intel version (!!) and Rosetta went away in OS X 10.7.  Couldn't be happier!

• Reply 4 of 90
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    Fully featured Quickbooks please, so my wife can get Parallels off her iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Knock me over with a feather...

And all it took was giving Bill Campbell his walking papers?  Go figure.

• Reply 6 of 90
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Do we know if the file format is compatible between Windows and Mac versions?  Or is that asking too much?

• Reply 7 of 90
    What, no trial download?

$75 is a bit steep to spend in the hope that it's OK - my purchase would be an upgrade from MS Money running in VM Fusion/Windows (yeah, I know...), so I need to be absolutely sure it's for me.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

Too little, WAY WAY too late.  I switched to iBank when they couldn't be bothered to make an Intel version (!!) and Rosetta went away in OS X 10.7.  Couldn't be happier!

Maybe, just maybe, it has finally sunk in to Intuit that there is in fact a Mac market out there? Recent gains in Mac sales may have caught their eye? Naw, they are still the same bunch of iHaters. If you go to the Quicken 2015 comparison chart it looks like one big advertisement for the Windows version. 

• Reply 9 of 90

So Intuit released a product lacking features and now they let us vote and they will add features over time.  Oh and we get to pay $75 for an upgrade and wait for the features to show up or not?  Intuit must have needed cash so bad they had to release an expensive upgrade lacking in features.

• Reply 10 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Knock me over with a feather...

And all it took was giving Bill Campbell his walking papers?  Go figure.

I was going to say that too. Bill Campbell steps down and now we have Quicken 2015. Strange coincidence it is. 

• Reply 11 of 90
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member

Those screenshots look exactly like Mint.

• Reply 12 of 90
    Too little, too late. I've switched away.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    I just wasted 15 minutes on an online chat with one of their "support reps." I asked, "Is there an upgrade available to Quicken Essentials users"

After 15 minutes, the response I got was, ""we are currently offering the same price as the price for our e-retailers." In other words, pay full fare even though we took forever to release an update and the only option you had, and which you bought, was Q Essentials.

I won't be wasting my money with this terrible company.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Another lame OSX release from Intuit.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Leave it to Intuit to release a paid upgrade that reduces the features and think that is progress.

• Reply 16 of 90
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Switched to YNAB, could not be happier. Don't see how this is going to sell well, ignore people for long enough and they'll find alternatives.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    If I can't import from earlier versions of Quicken I remain on my dedicated older computer with the earlier version of Quicken. I will not upgrade.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Amazing just weeks after departing Apple's Board! I knew Steve should have fired Bill Campbell years ago!
  • Reply 19 of 90

Intuit continues to piss on Mac users. 

Pfft.

• Reply 20 of 90
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

I have to question the wisdom of including the year in the name of a product they're unlikely to upgrade for years.