Intuit releases redesigned Quicken 2015 for Mac, first new version in 7 years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90

This situation with Quicken reminds me of QuarkXPress. Just because you have software that is the go-to-standard doesn't mean you can leave your base unsupported and expect them to remain loyal. Someone always comes in with a workable solution to fill the void. I switched to iBank years ago when they Quicken did not have an Intel version, and while they initially did not have everything I was looking for the later versions are great.

• Reply 22 of 90
    jasonxjasonx Posts: 17member

Hmm, and why would I ever buy Quicken, on any platform?

Mac version:  missing very important features, no feature parity with Windows version, no file format compatibility with Windows version

Windows version:  expensive annual updates that add no value, forced obsolescence of older versions so you are forced to buy said expensive annual updates

No thanks.  I will have nothing to do with this product.  (Now TurboTax, on the other hand ...)

• Reply 23 of 90

If these screenshots look familiar there's a reason. Intuit bought Mint a while back (which is still free, and I rather like it for what it is). It looks like they just ported over a lot of Mint to a Mac app.

• Reply 24 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joe28753 View Post

If these screenshots look familiar there's a reason. Intuit bought Mint a while back (which is still free, and I rather like it for what it is). It looks like they just ported over a lot of Mint to a Mac app.

Wasn't Quicken Essentials supposed to be that though?

What would have been great is if Microsoft continued making MS Money, and ported that over to the Mac as well. MS Money had easily been the best Personal Finance software on either Mac or PC. Unfortunate that MS killed it.

• Reply 25 of 90
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post

Windows version:  expensive annual updates that add no value, forced obsolescence of older versions so you are forced to buy said expensive annual updates

You can safely get by using the Windows version for about three years. No reason to upgrade every year based on my personal experience.

(I am currently using Quicken 2013 with Wine on my Mac.)

That said, for a lot of people Mint.com might be adequate.

• Reply 26 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post

Too little, too late. I've switched away.

What did you switch to? This latest experience has left me wanting to be done with Intuit and their terrible support.

• Reply 27 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longterm View Post

What did you switch to? This latest experience has left me wanting to be done with Intuit and their terrible support.

I'm using Quicken Essentials and thought about upgrading to this Quicken for Mac version. But after reading all these comments and learning about iBank 5, I think I'm going to iBank instead. 7 years... and they can't even give Mac users feature parity with Windows. I hate Adobe CC to death, but gotta give them credits for making Mac & PC versions working pretty much the same way on each platform.

• Reply 28 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I have to question the wisdom of including the year in the name of a product they're unlikely to upgrade for years.

Maybe they should have said it was Quicken 2019 instead. :) It is interesting though as now I wouldn't expect an update through at least 2015 from them. 

• Reply 29 of 90
    Nope. Not going to do it. Intuit screwed us now they're trying to get our attention with some stripped down pos? Shame to, the old quicken was great. Looking into "personal capital" for financial tracking. Anyone here that has tried it?
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by longterm View Post

If you want something very full-featured and Quicken-like, then I know that Moneydance and iBank are both good choices.  I use Moneydance and have for years and am very happy with it.  My understanding is that many people are very happy with iBank, although I found the UI to make my eyes bleed.

Besides its features (full online functionality, investment handling, strong reporting), some of the reasons I like Moneydance are:

(1)  runs on Mac, Windows, and Linux, with full file-format compatibility (I use multiple OSes); there are also iOS and Android companion apps

(2)  they never force you to upgrade (online services still work in all older versions)

(3)  when you do decide to upgrade to get newly released features, they give you a discounted upgrade price (not in the Mac App Store version)

(4)  they let you install it on as many PCs as you have for your personal use

(5)  there's a full-featured free trial that is limited only in the number of manually-entered transactions (no limit on downloaded transactions)

(6)  super-clean, uncluttered, customizable home screen

I don't work for them, by the way (sorry if this sounds too sales-pitchy).  Just a very satisfied customer and a big participant in their online community.

• Reply 31 of 90
    Too little to late. I am staying with iBank.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wonder if the user response in this thread mirrors public opinion. If so, they just released a dead horse (or whatever I should call it)
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Why any Mac user would ever trust Intuit again with as important an application as financial management software is beyond me. I was a Quicken user for years until the ultimate insult of Quicken "Essentials". Looks like Intuit is continuing the tradition. iBank is great and supports BillPay within the app, like Quicken 2015 apparently does not.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    jack mac wrote: »
    If I can't import from earlier versions of Quicken I remain on my dedicated older computer with the earlier version of Quicken. I will not upgrade.

Likewise.
  • Reply 35 of 90

So, $75 to upgrade to a version with fewer features? Not trying to be snarky, just asking the question. Of course, I only use Quicken for the basics: keeping a register of income/expenses and tracking different categories. I probably wouldn't even use it if it hadn't come free with my Mac back in 2006 since there are plenty of other inexpensive personal finance software options out there.

• Reply 36 of 90
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

it's a ridiculous price for an unproven 'upgrade' (?).  I can foresee many previous users shying away from it for those reasons alone, and Intuit saying, "See, we were right. Mac users aren't interested in an upgrade."  

• Reply 37 of 90
    Still no help for Canadian users who Intuit tried to push into Windows years ago.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I have been using Quicken for the mac since version 1, I have my entire financial history in Quicken. I do not disagree that Intuit abandon the Mac users and it is a surprise they even came out with this. When OSX 10.7 came out and quicken 07 would not work I was extremely happy they put out a release which address the issue. I would also agree there are a few window features what I wish the mac version had. 

However, I will tell you and this is coming from someone who manages his entire portfolio of money through quicken, there is nothing out there which is better. I have looked at essentials, mint, ibank, MS Money and others and they are lacking, if you are doing basic banking like checking and saving, they are fine, but as soon as you get into online banking and investment of various types and managing loans they can not hold a candle to Quicken. Many times I looked at switching away only to stay once I saw the short comings of the other programs.

The biggest issue most people have with quicken is the fact you have to have good understand of accounting practices to make it useful. Especially when you transferring money from one account to another. 

I am kind of surprise they pulled some features out. I do not really care about the budgeting function, use to use it all the time but today I do not have the time, I just run spend reports and see where the money is going and figure out what to do from there, does not matter what I would have budgeted. The loan schedule is nice to have been I found some issue with it so I use websites today. Quicken does not handle bi-monthly payment on loans real well. or the extra payment may once a year.

• Reply 39 of 90
    I recently gave in and purchased Quicken for windows which I run under VMWARE. Is it me, or virtualization, but even the windows product is crap. The ability to download financial transactions from my bank is problematic, especially the credit card transactions. The windows version does not handle automatic assignment of categories as well as the mac version.

In addition, the behavior of modal and non-modal windows under vmware often doesn't know which window mouse clicks are to be assigned to.

Now,this article claims a new version for the mac, but it only lists functionality which has been eliminated. No budget. Well, the budget process in the old version was crap, but it existed. Now it's gone.