Another purported 'iPhone 6' document suggests Apple may offer 128GB model

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Apple's next iPhone could be the company's highest-capacity handset yet, with new documents suggesting the company could offer a whopping 128 gigabytes of capacity in its so-called "iPhone 6."

Word of a new iPhone with 128 gigabytes of NAND flash built by Toshiba first appeared in a pair of documents obtained by GeekBar, and spotlighted Thursday by G for Games. Somewhat strangely, the document only mentions capacities of 16, 64 and 128 gigabytes, with no mention of a 32-gigabyte handset.

Currently, Apple offers its flagship iPhone in a total of three capacities: 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes, each costing $100 more for double the storage. If Apple were to stick with three capacities but eliminate the 32-gigabyte model, it could offer more value and potentially upsell customers to more expensive models.

Of course, it's also possible that Apple will keep the 32-gigabyte variant around and sell its next iPhone at a total of four capacities. The company already employs this approach with both the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display, both of which range from 16 gigabytes to 64.

The leaked documents suggest the "iPhone 6" will have 16-gigabyte memory modules built by Toshiba and Hynix, while 64-gigabyte NAND components will come from Hynix, Toshiba and SanDisk. The leak alleges that the highest-capacity 128-gigabyte modules will come from Toshiba alone.

One rumor that surfaced in June suggested that Apple might limit the option of 128 gigabytes of storage to its anticipated jumbo-sized 5.5-inch "iPhone 6." This years iPhone update is expected to come in two larger screen sizes, with the second option being 4.7 inches.

All is expected to be revealed on Sept. 9, when Apple is reportedly planning a media event to officially unveil the "iPhone 6." If the company sticks with its usual release pattern, it would become available to the public to purchase the following Friday, Sept. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Oh man. I'm all in for 128...
    Common sept 9
  • Reply 2 of 66
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    I'm down with this. I think it will come down to how photos and the new cloud storage mechanisms play. I already fill up 64gb because of laziness. And I do like to be lazy.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

I hope this means that the sizes are going to be 32/64/128gb as standard. 16gb is not really enough any more.

• Reply 4 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is for the 5.5 model only
    Ok I'll bite. Why is 5.5" special? People that want a 4.7" screen don't need the additional storage? Apple didn't limit 128GB to the iPad Air so why would they do it with iPhone?
  • Reply 5 of 66
    saarek wrote: »
    I hope this means that the sizes are going to be 32/64/128gb as standard. 16gb is not really enough any more.
    That would be nice for flagship models. Apple has made their laptops more affordable, I don't see why they can't bump storage without raising prices. I mean isn't technology supposed to get cheaper over time? So would this really even have much impact on Apple's margins?
  • Reply 6 of 66
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Please please please start at 32 GB this time. 16 GB is very outdated.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is for the 5.5 model only

Ok I'll bite. Why is 5.5" special? People that want a 4.7" screen don't need the additional storage? Apple didn't limit 128GB to the iPad Air so why would they do it with iPhone?

Wow…you're actually trying to pursue a logical reply to one of sog35's "jokes"?

He's been running that general one for, I think, months.

• Reply 8 of 66
    boredumb wrote: »
    Wow…you're actually trying to pursue a logical reply to one of sog35's "jokes"?
    He's been running that general one for, I think, months.
    If i thought he was joking I wouldn't have replied. Unfortunately a lot of people think this.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

32gb on the "base" would be sweet, but with iPhotos/iCloud + the huge shift to streaming music vs downloading, I can't ever see me needing 128gb on my phone.  I still have room on my 16gb 5S.

• Reply 10 of 66
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

I think its time that smartphones go up in prices.

We've been stuck at $199 for flagships for over 7 years.  Price should go up just because of inflation.

Prices of components also go down over time, you know.  Apple isn't going to raise prices just for the hell of it, they look at the market & margins. 

• Reply 11 of 66
    Yes the prices of a certain technology goes down.  But with new technology comes higher prices.  Just look at the TV market.

UHD TV's cost $20k. 

The top of the line phones should cost more than $199 on contract.  We've been stuck on that price for 7 years.
    $299 for a iPhone6XL sounds right.

What newer technology is in iPhones that requires a price increase? Is Apple making $7B in a quarter not enough profit? At some point people will go elsewhere if they think it's just gouging. With a larger iPhone Apple is taking away the one advantage Android currently has. They would be stupid to raise prices right now.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Why?  Because they can.  Because Apple always prefers people to buy the flagship.

iPhone6 4.7 - 16/32/64
    iPhone6 5.5 - 32/64/128

This way Apple can charge $299 on contract for the 5.5
    Alot of people will justify this extra $100 because they are getting a bigger screen + 16GB memory + sapphire + faster chip

I think its time that smartphones go up in prices.
    We've been stuck at $199 for flagships for over 7 years.  Price should go up just because of inflation.

Of course there are people who don't want to pay more than $199 - so they can grab the 4.7
    This is an accountants approach to product design. Yes people pay a premium for Apple's products because of the ecosystem and superior user experience. But people don't want to feel like they're being gouged. Right now Apple has a huge opportunity to take share away from Android; to snap up a lot of people that went Android just because of the bigger screen sizes. Cook would be stupid to muck that opportunity up by raising prices. And I don't think Wall Street would reward that either.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

You acting like Apple is operating at super high margins.  They are not.

You need to look beyond GROSS MARGIN.  It cost big time bucks to support Apple ecosystem, warranty expense, R&D, 1st class customer service, retail stores, keep and retain top talent.  When you compare Apple's profit margin to other companies it isn't excessive. 

Apple FY 2013

$171,000,000,000 revenue

$37,000,000,000 profits

Profit Percentage 21.6%

So for every dollar of revenue Apple only makes 21% profit.  That is NOT gouging.

Microsoft FY 2013

$86,833,000,000 revenue

$22,074,000,000 profits

Profit Percentage 25.4%

Google FY 2013

$59,825,000,000 revenue

$14,920,000,000 profit (taking out Motorola losses)

Profit Percentage 25.0%

So both Microsoft and Google make more profit per dollar of revenue.

So I ask again who is Gouging?

Its very rare for hardware companies to approach the margins of successful software companies.

• Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree. I keep my phone with me as I train on my bike, and the smaller phones are more manageable in jersey pockets. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested in premium features and specifications.

It reminds me a bit of 4 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder engines in the auto industry. It's frustrating that so many models have luxury tiers that are only available if you get a bigger engine.

• Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:

Thats where you fail.

Apple is not a hardware company only.  Mr Tim Cook said it himself.

Their software/services/customer experience is what sells the devices just as much as the beautiful hardware.

Yeah, it's sort of like how Coca Cola isn't a soft drink company: they're a marketing company that sells syrup and helps (often internal) bottlers sell stuff. Apple keeps this all under one umbrella, but they profit hugely from their marketing and branding work, along with services, media sales, hardware, and software.

• Reply 16 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Larger screen>> larger image files?

That would logically lead to some need for a higher storage capacity absent reliance on cloud storage and the vagaries of retrieval...

• Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Larger screen>> larger image files?

That would logically lead to some need for a higher storage capacity absent reliance on cloud storage and the vagaries of retrieval...

Well, if that was true, then maybe. iPad Air's 5MP camera vs. 5s 8MP camera begs to differ though. One of the reasons I think families recording event stills with their iPads is so stupid, in addition to being rude to those behind.

• Reply 18 of 66

I think it is time that the base storage goes to 32GB. The app sizes are getting bigger and bigger, and as a result, the more storage is needed.

I still think the layout is going to go down like this (w/ 2 year plan):

5C: (4" screen) 16GB - Free

5S: (4" screen) 16GB - $99

6: (4.7" screen) 32GB - $199, 64GB - $299, 128GB - $399

6: (5.5" screen) 32GB - $299, 64GB - $399, 128GB - $499

The only differing thing between the 6's is the screen size. Other than that (and maybe battery life), there is NO DIFFERENCE between the two variants of iP6s.

• Reply 19 of 66
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

I'm down with this. I think it will come down to how photos and the new cloud storage mechanisms play. I already fill up 64gb because of laziness. And I do like to be lazy.

I wonder what your house looks like. you know hoarding can turn into a disease

• Reply 20 of 66
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I think it is time that the base storage goes to 32GB. The app sizes are getting bigger and bigger, and as a result, the more storage is needed.

I still think the layout is going to go down like this (w/ 2 year plan):

5C: (4" screen) 16GB - Free

5S: (4" screen) 16GB - $99

6: (4.7" screen) 32GB - $199, 64GB - $299, 128GB - $399

6: (5.5" screen) 32GB - $299, 64GB - $399, 128GB - $499

The only differing thing between the 6's is the screen size. Other than that (and maybe battery life), there is NO DIFFERENCE between the two variants of iP6s.

i think you're close on this if that is really what is happening. you did not put in the cost for the sapphire display feature for those who are willing to pay.