Intuit releases redesigned Quicken 2015 for Mac, first new version in 7 years

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I was a little worried about this because no accountant I could find had ever heard of Moneyworks and I am no accountancy expert. 

I think the reason would be because it was made in New Zealand not in America. Most American accountants would probably be using Quicken as a result.

MoneyWorks is a very powerful piece of software and the best thing about it is that it has an accountant's copy so even if your accountant hasn't heard of it you can ensure he does by giving him a free copy.

While it was built in New Zealand it does have tax rules for a number of countries notably NZ, Australia, UK, USA, Canada, etc.

There's a version that's basically income/expenditure for the basic use but MoneyWorks Gold gives you everything including inventory and job tracking.

It is however expensive, it's also an accountant application so the interface is kind of bad but useable.

• Reply 62 of 90
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member

Given that I don't use any of the apps that Apple stripped back, I'm probably not the best one to attack that way. Besides:

1. Apple did get flack for that, lots of flack. Intuit deserves the same.

2. With the exception of FCP, the Apple apps being mentioned are either free or cheap. Quicken 2015 is neither.

Did you notice that this is Quicken 2015? It's still 2014, merely August in fact. That suggests that Intuit doesn't intend an actual 2015 upgrade. So don't hold your breath while waiting for those shortcomings to be addressed. You'll turn blue. Think 16 to 18 months at least, long enough to get us to 2016.

• Reply 63 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Are Moneydance and iBank still Java based?  Java is a security blackhole and I refuse to have it on any of my Macs.

Java running Swing fat client is 100% different than Java-plugin-in-a-browser (also running Swing.) The former is 100% in your control. The latter is subject to all the possible hijackings available on the net to inject into it from hidden iframes, etc.

It is a disservice to state that it is a security blackhole.

• Reply 64 of 90
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Yeah, we're on Quicken 2012. It freaking sucks though. The "cloud" sync has to be the slowest thing on the Internet, and I think the autocompletion is very poorly implemented. I need to move away. It's unfortunate that Intuit bought Mint -- I was thinking of going that route, but Quicken has sucked so badly that I can't see sticking with that company.

I don't use any of the cloud features with Quicken 2013 nor do I use Quicken online backup; I just backup to a Dropbox directory.

Mint.com is pretty nifty, I joined well before their acquisition by Intuit. It's superb for cash flow tracking. It's weak on tax reporting and investment analysis which is why I still use Quicken.

There are other free personal finance aggregators: Yodlee is an old one from the pre-Intuit Mint.com days. My brokerage offers a personal finance aggregation service, and I think so does my credit union. Yodlee has not been a commercial success as a consumer service, but I believe they operate the service for many other institutions (like banks and credit unions -- perhaps even mine).

I feel more comfortable right now have two personal finance systems: Mint.com is highly automated, there's more manual (and detailed) transaction entry for Quicken (like paychecks & taxes). Perhaps it's a big more effort, however I like having the ability to compare the two and make sure nothing is awry. Quicken's reporting features are better, particularly for investment analysis.

• Reply 65 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Did you notice that this is Quicken 2015? It's still 2014, merely August in fact. That suggests that Intuit doesn't intend an actual 2015 upgrade. So don't hold your breath while waiting for those shortcomings to be addressed. You'll turn blue. Think 16 to 18 months at least, long enough to get us to 2016.

Intuit seems to use automobile model years. :)

Quicken 2014 came out about a year ago, Quicken 2013 about two years ago, et cetera. Presumably Quicken 2016 will be made available in August-September of 2015, roughly twelve months hence.

The Quicken software will periodically check the Intuit servers for any software updates. I am using Quicken 2013 Release R12 (version 22.1.12.7) so clearly Intuit has released several updates for the application that they launched about two years ago.

• Reply 66 of 90

I doubt these are "automotive model years." Intuit's big hat is in banking rather than cars. Intuit is playing a marketing game that's a bit deceptive. Date software a year ahead, and to the more naive consumers it won't seem to age as fast. Someone who might buy this same software in early 2016, a year and a half from now, will think they're getting a up-to-date product. They won't.

Personally, I wonder if Intuit has a grudge against Apple or if they're just stupid. Apple has been coming back since about 1998. There's no excuse 17 years later ( that funny Intuit dating) for the company not to have an version of Quicken that's feature-compliant with the Windows version.

FYI: I used Quicken for much of the 1990s. After OS X came out I grew tired of all their delaying and excuses. I have no desire to get caught in their trap again. They can promise, and promise, and promise, but I won't believe them.

• Reply 67 of 90
    Vote for which features you want? How about you just include all of them you idiots!! It's not like the technology isn't there... just make the windows and mac version the same!

Does anyone else get the feeling intuit spends way more time going after competition and keeping themselves the monopoly for accounting software then they do just improving their product?
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I doubt these are "automotive model years." Intuit's big hat is in banking rather than cars. Intuit is playing a marketing game that's a bit deceptive. Date software a year ahead, and to the more naive consumers it won't seem to age as fast. Someone who might buy this same software in early 2016, a year and a half from now, will think they're getting a up-to-date product. They won't.

Personally, I wonder if Intuit has a grudge against Apple or if they're just stupid. Apple has been coming back since about 1998. There's no excuse 17 years later ( that funny Intuit dating) for the company not to have an version of Quicken that's feature-compliant with the Windows version.

The "automotive model years" comment was a joke. (Note the smiley.)

Yeah, but Intuit has been releasing Quicken software like this for years, both on the Windows as well as Mac side.

And Quicken buyers aren't particularly naive. Intuit used to do the rebate coupon thing, and like other companies, they expected a good number of buyers to forget to fill in the rebate paperwork.

It turns out they were wrong. People who care about tracking personal finances are more detail oriented than the typical consumer, so Intuit ended up paying out more rebate refunds than anticipated.

Anyhow, I doubt that Quicken for Mac will ever be feature compliant with the Windows version. It probably hasn't been since the mid-Nineties.

• Reply 69 of 90

Too late Intuit - been through the 12-Step program and I intend to stay clean.  You had me hooked since the mid-90s but you cut your product so much with Essentials that I was able to sober up and stay that way. My eyes open and head clear, I discovered everything I need is on the web, and I have a couple hours/week of my life back to boot. I'll never go back to your evil temptress Quicken.

• Reply 70 of 90
    Seven years? Wow. Maybe Steve Jobs should have called Intuit "a lazy company" instead of Adobe!
  • Reply 71 of 90
    The MAC version of Quickbooks is unusable. I had been running the PC version via Parallels,but have switched to Xero. A bit more expensive, but the savings in time and frustration more than make up for the cost difference.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:

Anyhow, I doubt that Quicken for Mac will ever be feature compliant with the Windows version. It probably hasn't been since the mid-Nineties.

That alone is enough reason leave Quicken alone. Support a company more willing to support Macs.

By the way, I am most emphatically not a detail-oriented person when it comes to finance. I'm looking for a well-done, cloud-based banking system. The bank maintains all the tracking but does so better than any online account I've seen so far.

What I want is an online bank account that:

1. Sends me an email for each transaction. Spots fraud.

2. Has apps and a website that lets me fill in the fields, adding a 'what this is comment' and tax-purposes categories. That's where all the online banking I've investigated so far fall short. 

3. That 'heads up' reminder email contains a link. Clink on it, and I can enter the data for #2. This is MOST important. The reminder needs to come soon enough afterward, I still remember what that purchase was. I don't fill out little paper registers.

4. The system has all sort of useful reporting features, particularly for tax purposes, and keeps those records for years.

That'd be genuine banking in the cloud and much better than Quicken-like products or crude transaction registers online. The bank would even save money since monthly mailed statements would not be necessary.

Know anyone doing that. I looked about six months ago and drew a blank. Just check registers in the sky.

• Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by longterm View Post

I just wasted 15 minutes on an online chat with one of their "support reps." I asked, "Is there an upgrade available to Quicken Essentials users"

After 15 minutes, the response I got was, ""we are currently offering the same price as the price for our e-retailers." In other words, pay full fare even though we took forever to release an update and the only option you had, and which you bought, was Q Essentials.

I won't be wasting my money with this terrible company.

Our company tried to sign up for their credit card payment device / service was told we didnt meet their credit score. dont know why as we have no issues and anyway we do WE need to be credit checked so THEY can take OUR money on OUR behalf. we should ve credit checking them.  phone rep was some foreign script monkey who refused to give any explanation just told to 'goto another provider' 

we did thanks very much and are very happy. wouldnt recommend anyone buy a product from a company with this lousy service.

• Reply 74 of 90
    It was about worthless before and is now totally worthless. This is the most basic, featureless budgeting/balancing app on the planet. I mean that literally. I got burned the first time around but I won't be burned again. This is one former quicken user who will not return, yet.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Add the missing features and get back to me. Dude!
  • Reply 76 of 90
    eng12eng12 Posts: 2member

Quicken 2007 really does what it needs to.... for me.  So, I am little skeptical of the "need" for new software every year, or every 4 years ( I suffer with the 4 year Microsoft OS and Office upgrade cycles at my day job, let's not even start to discuss the 1.5GB of windows 8.1 updates between April  2014 and Aug 2014, What are they fixing in just 4 months? ).    I might look at no updates for 7 years as six years where I did not have to worry about an upgrade AND quicken works as good as it does today as it did 7 years ago.  How many software products fall in this category?

Without knowing they would release an intel 2007 for $15, I planned ahead when rosetta was dropped. I have VM Ware Fusion running OS server with the last Mac OS X server version that supports rosetta. I am not sure this is any different than those who run windows on the mac to run win32 versions of quicken.  This allowed me to keep my current environment for the foreseeable future.  Without knowing about intel 2007 and seeing how Quicken Essentials was useless, I am sure this setup could last another 5-10 years, if I needed it to. 

About Quicken 2015...if they are only missing the features listed to vote on, yearly budgets, and loan tables, it must be better then Essentials ( it can't be worse ). The question is, how close is it to 2007?  Is the user experience better or worse?  The good news here for Mac Quicken users is that the path they started with Quicken Essentials has been dead ended... we hope. 

Unless you buy it and try it out, how can you really comment on it?  Those screen shots look like they take up lots of screen space, i.e. one screen.  Last I checked, my Mac monitor was not a tablet. It almost looks like they turned quicken into the mail client and everything is driven from one window.  Considering I have 23 years of data in my current data file, it will probably be worth the 60 day money back guarantee to try to update.  It will be nice to get updates from the App Store and not having to keep media around. The key will be, will it do everything that 2007 did for me that I cared to do? Will it offer anything new that 2007 didn't have that will make things easier?  There is enough lack of information right now where I will wait for Yosemiti and look for some software reviews before I start that 60 day clock.  

If this pans out in a positive way,  Intuit will move up a notch after the Essentials debacle. If not, the next planned update is when the Intel 2007 version stops working...and I am forced to move to something else.

• Reply 77 of 90
    I've been using Quicken and MacInTax (now TurboTax) since 1992. Yes it has been a long time since the last upgrade. Yet I credit them for getting back in the market. They had to spend some R&D for this. To say that they are saying "to heck with Mac" isn't true based on this effort. I will upgrade? Why? Because I want to show that their commitment to get back into the Mac market in more concerted way is something I appreciate. Folks can talk about the smaller companies with other products being a good offering and that is fine - yet a reaffirmed commitment by Intuit sends a message to the whole market. If folks don't buy, you just self fulfill the reality of no newer versions. Apple has orphaned more apps and services over the years than I care to count. iPhoto, iDVD, .mac, iWeb, Claris/Apple works, HyperCard... I can go on with many more examples. Yet quicken has been there all along - still letting me use the transaction detail all the way back to the beginning.
  • Reply 78 of 90

Good luck trying to win back Mac users now, idiots! Pathetic.

• Reply 79 of 90
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Hopefully the venting portion of the thread is almost done.

Don't get me wrong, Intuit richly deserves it, and Jobs should have handed Campbell his walking papers years ago over this debacle.

Their stewardship of the Mac product has been abysmal, and everyone knows it.

That said, it is great to see the software finally running on a modern Mac codebase and I expect that updates will be annual from here on.

Intuit knows that a lot of people won't bite until they see added features, and the company likely wants the annual revenue stream.

As a Canadian, my FAQs include whether the software is usable for Canadians, in that it can print Canadian date-format cheques, handle Canadian addresses (postal codes and provinces), do online banking with Canadian institutions, track HST collected and paid, and handle CRA remittances.

I know the last two are more for small business use, but there's no Quickbooks software package for Mac in Canada (Mac use is online-only), so I'm happy to pay $100. for a 2016 Quicken Home and Business Canada.

• Reply 80 of 90

I find this testimonial hilarious:

Quote:

It behaves like a real Mac application.

Is it a fake Mac application that the User is surprised that it behaves like a real Mac application?