Display production for Apple's 'iPhone 6' needs last-minute redesign, Reuters says

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Apple has encountered a serious issue with building displays for its next-generation iPhone just as it's gearing up to launch next month, forcing suppliers to redesign a key component, according to a new report.

Alleged 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups with iPhone 5s. | Source: TechSmartt via YouTube

Members of Apple's supply chain are reportedly "scrambling to get enough screens ready" for the company's so-called "iPhone 6," according to Reuters. The report said the latest issue comes "on the heels of a separate screen technology problem" that was associated with making the new screens thinner, but has apparently been resolved.

The previous problem, according to two supply chain sources, centered around the backlight of the "iPhone 6," which previously caused display production to be put on hold in June and July. Apple apparently wanted to use a single backlight module to make the screen as thin as possible, but the displays were not bright enough and Apple had to find a way to fit a second layer.

Details on the latest issue, however, were scant, simply referring to a "key component."

Sources who spoke with the news outlet said it was "unclear" whether the problems could "delay the launch or limited the number of phones initially available to customers." The report reaffirmed widely expected details about the next iPhone: That it will be unveiled Sept. 9, and it will come in screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches.

There have been a number of reports discussing the potential for manufacturing issues with Apple's next iPhone, but most of them have centered around the larger 5.5-inch model, suggesting it might arrive later than the 4.7-inch version.

Apple is rumored to be planning a media event for Sept. 9 to launch its next iPhone, but of course nothing has been made official by the company, which typically announces its events a week in advance. If Apple does hold to that date, history suggests the "iPhone 6" would first arrive in consumers' hands the following Friday, Sept. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Despite the best efforts of analysts, products that Apple is actually creating are actually being created and products they are not creating are not being created.

• Reply 2 of 54
    More background noise from the rumorsphere.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Where would we be without an Apple scramble?

Crumbs.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Gotta love these rumors that use words like "scant" and "unclear". Seems to me there's an agenda beyond just click bait/page views. These rumors have little information that is solid but they serve their purpose of creating D&G and FUD.
  • Reply 5 of 54

Every year the rumorbots pull out their old playbook from the prior year and put a new twist on "potential" delays / problems / batteries / displays / meteorites striking the mfg. facility (oh, I added that one on my own).

The only fact is the iphone 6 is coming and you can take that to the bank.

• Reply 6 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    More evidence there will not be 5.5" iPhone. I mean, look at that thing! Plus that green man in the background gives me the creeps.

For my personal taste a 4.7" iPhone will be too large as well. I sure hope they'll also make a 4" model with updated internals.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Every (true or not) production hiccup is a major story or rumor. It sounds bad but it all plays into Apple's hand in the end. Pages upon pages of editorial advertising. By the time the phone appears every but one will know. For every new product this happens and every time I cannot help but think it is all by design from the Apple marketing dept. by spreading rumor like this the chattering goes on, word is spread about the impending launch but nothing bad is really said. In the meantime lazy journalists will leave Apple more or less alone so key features / products will remain secret. Far fetched yet so plausible.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Gotta love these rumors that use words like "scant" and "unclear". Seems to me there's an agenda beyond just click bait/page views. These rumors have little information that is solid but they serve their purpose of creating D&G and FUD.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does D&G stand for, in that context?  I've never seem that acronym before.

• Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Forgive my ignorance, but what does D&G stand for, in that context?  I've never seem that acronym before.

I'm guessing, doom and gloom.

• Reply 10 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Bullshit. Let's manipulate the stock price today!
  • Reply 11 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hahaha... What nonsense.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Sounds like somebody trying to short AAPL to me.

• Reply 13 of 54
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I sure hope they'll also make a 4" model with updated internals.

Unless you consider a revised 5c with 5s internals to be an "updated 4" model"...then I'm sorry to tell you that absolutely will not be happening.

• Reply 14 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pmz wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    I sure hope they'll also make a 4" model with updated internals.
    Unless you consider a revised 5c with 5s internals to be an "updated 4" model"...then I'm sorry to tell you that absolutely will not be happening.

Link?
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Preposterous!

These types of rumours will, however, increase the perception of scarcity, which is one way to sell a lot of units quickly. If you really want one of these (and I certainly do), then you will be motivated to act quickly once they're released, if you believe there aren't enough units to go around. Lineups anyone?

My plan is to buy one as soon as it's available AND I don't have to lineup for it. Lining up is a sucker's game.

cf Influence - The Power of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
  • Reply 16 of 54
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    aaplfanboy wrote: »
    Does anyone seriously believe that Apple leaves it the last minute to discover the screen isn't bright enough and then adds another layer of brightness? Utter rubbish.

Good point! Brightness is a design issue not a manufacturing issue.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    philboogie wrote: »
    More evidence there will not be 5.5" iPhone. I mean, look at that thing! Plus that green man in the background gives me the creeps.

For my personal taste a 4.7" iPhone will be too large as well. I sure hope they'll also make a 4" model with updated internals.

I think they will. Screen sizes have a practical component but there is also a fashion component to it. If Apple discontinued a size that millions of people love, and the larger size is or over time becomes less popular than expected, it would be a colossal blunder for Apple and I just don't see that happening. Management isn't perfect but they are doing a lot of things very correctly and creating products that people love and are extremely loyal to.

It would be relatively easy to update the internals of the smaller size, easier I'm sure than the logistics they're going through with the new iPhone 6. The iPod ultimately morphed into all kinds of shapes and sizes that were continued concurrently, so why not the iPhone given enough time? I would not be totally shocked if Apple surprised everyone on September 9 with the news that they will now have 4 sizes, including a revived 4/4s form factor and/or screen size and an update of the 5 series. iPad mini, iPhone mini. Why not?

Disclaimer: I may be biased because today I am retiring my 2008 iMac and buying a brand new 21.5" iMac. I'm very excited about it! :)
  • Reply 18 of 54
    paxman wrote: »
    Every (true or not) production hiccup is a major story or rumor. It sounds bad but it all plays into Apple's hand in the end. Pages upon pages of editorial advertising. By the time the phone appears every but one will know. For every new product this happens and every time I cannot help but think it is all by design from the Apple marketing dept. by spreading rumor like this the chattering goes on, word is spread about the impending launch but nothing bad is really said. In the meantime lazy journalists will leave Apple more or less alone so key features / products will remain secret. Far fetched yet so plausible.

+1
  • Reply 19 of 54
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AAPLfanboy View Post

Does anyone seriously believe that Apple leaves it the last minute to discover the screen isn't bright enough and then adds another layer of brightness? Utter rubbish.

That was the problem from early in the Summer that they already fixed.  This is a new, different, problem, according to the article.

• Reply 20 of 54
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    If all these production issues are real, that must mean they'll have some really exciting hardware innovations to show us, yeah?