Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
A set of photographs published on Friday purport to show both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch variants of Apple's next-generation iPhone depicted in an engineering prototype overview, with both models sporting a protruding camera lens and all-metal rear casing.

The 4.7-inch version of the so-called "iPhone 6" is said to measure 138 millimeters on the Y axis, 66 millimeters on the X axis, and 6.9 millimeters on the Z axis, while the 5.5-inch model compares at 158 millimeters, 78 millimeters, and 7.1 millimeters, respectively. The shots, first published by French blog iGen.fr, were supposedly taken from internal systems at Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn.

At least one of the screens is identical to a render that emerged earlier this week from the Republic of China.

Both of the handsets depicted add 0.77 millimeters on the Z axis for the external portion of the camera lens. Apple is said to have gone to great lengths in an attempt to bring the 5.5-inch model down to 7 millimeters in thickness, but was unable to do so.

The company also reportedly shipped some 28 containers of displays from the U.S. to Foxconn plants in the People's Republic of China. Though speculation exists that these may have come from Apple's sapphire plant in Arizona, Gorilla Glass is also made in the U.S. by Corning.

Apple is rumored to be planning the unveiling of at least one of the new models -- likely the 4.7-inch variant, with a 5.5-inch "phablet" to follow -- at an event on Sept. 9. The new devices would then likely go on sale Sept. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 224
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

if you don't believe now then you don't believe we landed on the Moon.

Tallest Skill will be in here to rip you a new one in 3...2...1...

• Reply 2 of 224
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Little do most people know.

Apple isn't about to produce iPhones.

They're about to print money.
  • Reply 3 of 224
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member
    As much as I like to learn about 'news' on iPhone 6 I wish AI would stop posting these now. It's really been enough.
  • Reply 4 of 224
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

As much as I like to learn about 'news' on iPhone 6 I wish AI would stop posting these now. It's really been enough.

Not sure why you're on an Apple rumor site, then?

So it looks like there will be a sub-1mm lens on the iPhone 6.  I really hope it'll still lay mostly flat on a surface without a case.  But as long as it lives up to/improves the stellar quality of the iPhone's camera, I'll manage  :-)

Come on Sept 9th!  Shouldn't we be seeing an invitation early next week if Sept 9th is really the day?

• Reply 5 of 224
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple isn't going to have the lens stick out from the phone. The design would be awful.
  • Reply 6 of 224
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member
    Yes I know. I can always stop reading. But I can't, too. Oh well.
  • Reply 7 of 224
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1) Why is the side view upside down?

2) Why is there a button, what appears to be a sleep/wake one, on top, but this time on the left hand side?

3) Is the button on the side, the other side, the new sleep/wake button?

4) Why does it look so ugly, skewed?

5) Why is the later "Proto 2" thicker, longer and wider?
  • Reply 8 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

2) Why is there a button, what appears to be a sleep/wake one, on top, but this time on the left hand side?

I didn't notice that about the power button.  I'm not sure why there would be a power button on the top, the actual casing leaks have show the power/sleep/wake to be on the camera lens side of the phone.

Nice catch.  

• Reply 9 of 224
    sog35 wrote: »

if you don't believe now then you don't believe we landed on the Moon.

We landed on the moon?! No way! When did *this* happen?!
  • Reply 10 of 224

Wow Apple is doing a very good job letting fake details about the iPhone 6 "leak" out to throw off the competition. Bravo. Tim Cook is not only an operations genius; he understands counter-espionage. He should work for the CIA.

• Reply 11 of 224
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Tallest Skill will be in here to rip you a new one in 3...2...1...

Seems to me like he needs to put some more effort into it before I do.

Can't wait when the 5.5 is official and Tallest needs to self ban himself

*ding dong* Now arriving at Delusion on track 4. Please check beneath your seats for your sanity and common sense, and thank you for riding Unsung Railways. Next stop, Strawman.

• Reply 12 of 224
    100% fake. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, but I don't think the great Steve Jobs himself could convince anyone that that looks good.
  • Reply 13 of 224
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by joseph_went_south View Post

100% fake. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, but I don't think the great Steve Jobs himself could convince anyone that that looks good.

• Reply 14 of 224
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The date on the first image appears to show 2-12-2014, which means that this is a very early prototype. So perhaps Apple was testing the sleep/wake button both in the traditional top-mounted position and on the wide, before going with a side-mounted button.

• Reply 15 of 224
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    It appears to be an old photo, as the date at the lower left is 12. February 2014.
  • Reply 16 of 224
    Quote:

Do you realize how small .77 of a mm is?

Its no big deal

You speak like someone who has experience with how small .77 mm is.

;-)

• Reply 17 of 224
    Please don't do this Apple. On the iPod yeah it's okay since it's not a 30+ million sold device. This can't end well unless there is an absolutely critical reason that we don't know yet.
  • Reply 18 of 224
    Quote:

making such a big deal about such a small thing.

The camera bump did not hurt the Samdung S5.

It wont hurt the iPhone6

Yeah, some people obviously need drama in their lives. How about let's see what Apple introduces and go from there. 

• Reply 19 of 224
    We landed on the moon?! No way! When did *this* happen?!

He can land on both of mine when I'm out mooning¡ I'll greet him with an 'Exqueeze me?"
  • Reply 20 of 224
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    The date on the first image appears to show 2-12-2014, which means that this is a very early prototype. So perhaps Apple was testing the sleep/wake button both in the traditional top-mounted position and on the wide, before going with a side-mounted button.

Good thinking, good catch.