Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens

Comments

• Reply 101 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I seriously hope that Apple makes the 4.7" and 5.5" version with a protruding camera and the 5.5" gets all the extra goodies (more ram, more storage, better glass, better camera and more) just to make the 10 people on here so upset. It's really not all that big of a deal when it comes right down to it. Because, you know, as with almost every product in the world, the bigger product usually has more.

I hope they don't. I believe there will be a great deal of people that will find it at the least an annoyance and at the most an abhorrence.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Don't buy it. Problem solved.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy it. I'm 199% sure I am going to buy it. I just don't want it to wobble.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Millions of people grumble about touch wiz

I have no heard a single person grumble about Samsungs camera buldge.

Please use your brain.  All you need to do is put a .77mm 1 inch by 1 inch material on your desk.

That's alot easier than Apple trying to overcome physics and make the camera .77mm thinner.

All you all's are just selfish. 

I cant believe a .77mm bump is a deal breaker.  Seriously.

So because you've never heard anyone complain about the protrusion of Galaxy phones means no one has ever complained? Okay -- because I've never heard anyone complain about Touchwiz there must not be a problem with it¡

I'm not even thinking fully selfishly here. I think a lot of people will complain about it when they get to use it if this rumor holds true.

Quote:

It works just as good .

people need to realize how small .77mm is.

And why are people using their iPhone flat on a desk anyway?  Why not just pick it up and use it with one hand?   

I use it on my desk because I have a desk job. It's that simple. Many iPhone owners do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

My first response was that there was no way in hell that Apple would allow a lens to protrude 0.77mm from the next iPhone. Mainly because the phone would not be able to lie flat on the table, when in use.  NObody wants to be trying to txt on a wobbly phone that doesn't lie flat.

As I thought about it, though, my Survivor case adds 3.4mm to the thickness of my iPhone 5 (about 2.5mm to the back and 0.9mm to the front). The lens would protrude through the hole in the case, and thus add nothing to the thickness of what I carry in my pocket.  Obviously, cases for the next gen of iPhone would be somewhat different, but I think the extra 0.77mm would still not protrude from the case that most people might use for their phones.  

Of course, if the iPhone ships with a sapphire screen, there may be many fewer people using cases, and then the protruding lens really would be an issue.

Mostly, though, I think this is a rumor  planted by Apple, to try to reveal the source of leaks from the supply chain.

Never used a case. Never will. The phone just doesn't feel as nice in the hand with a case. Hopefully this rumor is as you say, a plant by Cook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

What if Apple could have made a flat phone with the same amazing camera by increasing the thickness of the phone by 0.77 mm? Based on your reasoning, Apple should have done that because 0.77 mm is nothing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

When I think of Apple's iPhone design, the words elegance, simplicity, and polished comes to mind.

A protruding lens (no matter how thin) does not seem elegant to me. It makes the phone non-symmetrical.

Maybe I will change my mind once I see the phone in person.

Exactly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

OMG

this is 'you are holding it wrong' all over again.

I'm not saying it's a huge deal, but it's big enough for me. I don't care that the iPod had it before, it's just not right.

The current iPhone is designed like a monolith. Put it on a tablet and it looks beautiful also because it's like a perfect piece of aluminium. Making a lens like that would ruin everything.

I don't think it would ruin the phone just that it wouldn't look as neat and precise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

I would think so too. We'll find out soon enough.

• Reply 102 of 224
    kotmarkotmar Posts: 17member
    Samsung is working on copying this!
  • Reply 103 of 224
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple isn't going to have the lens stick out from the phone. The design would be awful.

Do you realize how small .77 of a mm is?

Its no big deal

I think the side buttons on my about-to-be-replaced iPhone 4 protrude a little more than that...

still, it just doesn't seem 'elegant'…

maybe it extrudes for photographing, and retracts afterwards - except, tiny little motors? nah

• Reply 104 of 224
    Quote:

But where does it end?

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so we can put in a DSLR like camera!

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so the battery can last 30 hours!

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so I can use it on a table and it won't slide (because its so heavy)

Bottom line is the iPhone is about STYLE.

Do you seriously think your defintion of style is superior to the entire iPhone design team?  Really?

Based on the leaks - Yes and yes.

• Reply 105 of 224
    Quote:

Then you should apply for the head design job at Samsung.

Why would I do that?  They already have a protruding camera in their design.  

• Reply 106 of 224
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Erhm, where on the product page of that Mac did they mention that one would be able to upgrade the RAM? Nowhere, so you bought the wrong model. What's next, moan about the disappearance of the HDD in the nMP? How about an iPhone with swappable HDD, battery and RAM¿ Or no LOM on a Shuffle...

It doesn't, but when you buy a car you expect to be able to change the tyres instead of throwing the whole thing away. I'm not sure of any PC desktop that is completely non-upgradable, I think Johnny is saying in secret "I wonder how much hardware functionality we can remove from these machines before people stop buying them!?"

irun262 wrote: »
    You don't throw it away, you resell it. Apple products have great resale value (and they last long enough to be resold while my wife's Samsung computer(s) are purchased because the old one failed...and thrown away). And they are thicker. :)

Selling and buying a new Mac leaves you with a net loss of around £500 on high-end gear, more RAM is £50 tops.

sog35 wrote: »
    Then you can buy a $40 case that will give you better battery life and a flat surface.

For the rest of the 90% we want our ultra thin phone.  Thanks.

Why should I have to buy extra bits (doubling the thickness of the phone vs a mm or two thicker) to add to compensate for a design obsession of one guy at Apple?

90%? Where'd you get that statistic? You aren't everyone. As I said, most people complain about iPhone battery life. If it was too thick and they wanted it thinner, they'd complain about thickness. But they don't.
    But where does it end?

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so we can put in a DSLR like camera!
    Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so the battery can last 30 hours!
    Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so I can use it on a table and it won't slide (because its so heavy)

Bottom line is the iPhone is about STYLE.
    Do you seriously think your defintion of style is superior to the entire iPhone design team?  Really?

Do you seriously think everyone who buys the iPhone buys it for STYLE? I actually use mine as a smartphone, only more often than not Samesung's ads are correct; I'm hugging a wall socket. If you stick it in a display cabinet and admire it's aesthetics, you wouldn't know much about the battery.

Also, you might not realise this but 0.7mm is 0.02 inches, not 1 inch. Your exaggerations are only out by a factor of 50.

Everything is a compromise, and between battery life and thickness, Apple's leaning way too far toward the thinness end of the scale IMO.
  • Reply 107 of 224
    elijahg wrote: »
    So throw it away and get a new one? How eco-friendly, which is what Apple's supposedly all about.

Apple didn't say throw it away. You did.
  • Reply 108 of 224
    Do you remember last year when 'WELL CONNECTED' Ming Kuo reported:

"Kuo expects the iPhone 5S to have a sapphire fingerprint reader [SIZE=26px]home button[/SIZE] that will no longer be plastic and concave but actually [SIZE=26px]protrude slightly[/SIZE] from the iPhone in a convex manner."

[URL=http:/2013/08/10/iphone-5s-to-have-protrudingconvex-sapphire-home-button-that-doubles-as-a-fingerprint-reader/]http://************/2013/08/10/iphone-5s-to-have-protrudingconvex-sapphire-home-button-that-doubles-as-a-fingerprint-reader/[/URL]

Your point? The 5s home button is concave yes, but it doesn't protrude, Also AI reported a design tweak where Apple recessed the volume buttons and lock switch on the iPad to make them less intrusive, why'd they make tiny tweaks like that if they were going to have the camera poke out on their flagship phone?
  • Reply 109 of 224

Money shot:

• Reply 110 of 224
    Apple didn't say throw it away. You did.

So should I sell it and go buy another? If it was upgradable I wouldn't have to buy another. Upgrading wouldn't require a whole new machine to be made if Apple's thinness OCD was toned down a notch. Buying anything newly manufactured will lays be less eco-friendly than just upgrading a component or two.
  • Reply 111 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Money shot:

The smallest one is designated N51, presumably meaning the iPhone 5. The middle one is labelled N61, whihc one might guess means iPhone 6. So what do we make of the biggest one being labelled N56? Half-way between an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 6?

It makes me wonder if there may actually be the much-feared and detested feature differentiation between models, but favoring the 4.7" version, NOT the 5.5.

• Reply 112 of 224
    Quote:

Why don't you pick up your phone?

What advantage is there to keep it on your desk?

1. My other hand is holding the coffee cup--who says "your way" is the "right way"?

2. I suffer a physical disability and cannot grip a phone. Think palsy.

3. I have lost my other arm and have only one hand.  Think war veteran.

4. Because I choose to. Think different.

• Reply 113 of 224
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

But doesn't your phone slip on the desk even though its perfectly flat? 

Actually it doesn't. It is so flat that there is actually some natural adhesion between the two flat surfaces.

• Reply 114 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winchester View Post

Is it possible that apple is planning on making the lens perform as a physical button? I remember seeing apple patents years ago that outlined this very function. Bear with me for a second- I know it's a leap, but this is a rumor site, right? Imagine a spring-loaded trigger that launches the camera app. Perhaps only when the front light sensor is not covered (as to avoid pocket presses). Apple could even incorporate touch features that would ensure that the trigger only works when pressed by human skin. They could also give the button a weight of 3 lbs pressure as to prevent accidentals while playing games or using other apps.

Great ideas. But the lens need not protrude to serve this function: think home button.

• Reply 115 of 224
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.

This is one of the reason I bought the 27", ram is accessible.

• Reply 116 of 224
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

imo they should have made it flat with the camera and give us a better battery...

• Reply 117 of 224

I recall a few years back Apple was advertising about having a 5 micron tolerance to the fit of the iPhone parts, or something like that. Jony Ive made a video mentioning it, I think.  They produce multiple sizes of one part, so they can match it to the variations in machining of another part.  Within 5 microns.  

Nope, that doesn't sound like a company that would let a camera lens protrude by 770 microns--150 times it's standard tolerance!

• Reply 118 of 224
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    elijahg wrote: »

It doesn't, but when you buy a car you expect to be able to change the tyres instead of throwing the whole thing away. I'm not sure of any PC desktop that is completely non-upgradable, I think Johnny is saying in secret "I wonder how much hardware functionality we can remove from these machines before people stop buying them!?".

The future is not going to be bright for you then.
  • Reply 119 of 224
    herbapou wrote: »
    This is one of the reason I bought the 27", ram is accessible.

Me too, though I did have to swap it due to a squeaky PSU. The store said they'd just get me a new one since it's so hard to get inside them.
  • Reply 120 of 224

Your point is what? That if it exists as a patent it is a good or even valid idea?

My point is that an existing patent claims to specifically address the problem caused by those "greasy, disgusting, flesh-worn, secretious, fingerprinted fingers" of yours. lol. And yes, I think common sense would dictate that an oleophobic camera lens would constitute a good idea.