Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 163
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

No, accidents happen to everyone.

Some people being more prone than others is also true, but doesn't detract from accidents happening to everyone.

Never had an accident?  Ever?  Liar.

The iPhone being waterproof will be of benefit to pretty much everyone, as a reassurance if nothing else, save a few people in the desert or in space.

• Reply 42 of 163

I wonder if Samsung's CEO has done the ice bucket challenge. Tim Cook did, come on Boo-Keun Yoon, post your video.

• Reply 43 of 163
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Never had an accident?  Ever?  Liar.

I never said that I never had an accident. Don't put words into other people's mouths.

A few years ago I spilled a huge cup of coke all over my Macbook, basically killing the machine. I managed to fix it eventually, after I disassembled the entire machine and gave it an alcohol bath and then dried it out, but it was purely my own fault for being careless.

I have never had any phone or iPad accidents yet, and I keep all of my devices naked.

Accidents can and will happen, but in virtually all cases it's the fault and the responsibility of the user.

• Reply 44 of 163
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

These ads obviously aren't working...I don't know why they continue these stupid type of ads. If its not working by now, its never going to. If you have to spend all of your advertising dollars defending your product, then you don't have a very good product to advertise. 

• Reply 45 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I never said that I never had an accident. Don't put words into other people's mouths.

A few years ago I spilled a huge cup of coke all over my Macbook, basically killing the machine. I managed to fix it eventually, after I disassembled the entire machine and gave it an alcohol bath and then dried it out, but it was purely my own fault for being careless.

I have never had any phone or iPad accidents yet, and I keep all of my devices naked.

Accidents can and will happen, but in virtually all cases it's the fault and the responsibility of the user.

You said no when I said that accidents happen to everyone, thereby suggesting that you believe that some people are impervious to accidents.

I'm not sure what evidence you have that in "virtually all cases it's the fault and responsibility of the user" but even if that's true, why would you be against a design that removes that risk?

Should Apple not put a tough screen on the iPhone, because people who scratch the screen only have themselves to blame?

Should they stop using tough materials like metal and glass because weak plastic is fine and any breakages are the fault of the user?

It's a sensible preventative measure that will benefit everyone.  Your tough man stance is a bit silly, when a similar proposition could have saved your Macbook.

• Reply 46 of 163
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why don't you just Google it?

http://www.samsungtelecom.com/life-at-samsung/corporate-responsibility.asp

I did and if what's listed is all they do, I'm not impressed at all.

I wasn't trying to argue the merits of Samsung charitable donations only pointing out that 'sog' was simply making more unsubstantiated claims to bolster his argument against them. Just another sensationalized knee jerk reaction with no research.

• Reply 47 of 163
    gilly33 wrote: »
    I was thinking that it was pretty sly. But after reading you guys comments I got to say it
    is a bit tasteless. Shows how low Samsung is willing to sink in order to one up Apple.

For the best-shipping smartphone brand, Samsung's marketing is awfully fixated on the number two brand. That is what I find unusual. You don't see Coke making fun of Pepsi.
  • Reply 48 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It's a sensible preventative measure that will benefit everyone.  

I trust that Apple has certainly looked into waterproofing, and for whatever reason they have decided not to do it as of yet. Do you believe that they have not considered it or thought about it? Apple obviously takes everything into consideration when deciding what features to add or not to add.

As for the other things you mentioned, I have nothing against Apple coming out with a sapphire screen, if those rumors are true. Of course, that model might cost more than other models, and then the usual suspects will begin whining about price, but that's a different story.

• Reply 49 of 163
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Exploiting a good cause is pretty lame, tbh...
  • Reply 50 of 163
    Quote:

I trust that Apple has certainly looked into waterproofing, and for whatever reason they have decided not to do it as of yet. Do you believe that they have not considered it or thought about it? Apple obviously takes everything into consideration when deciding what features to add or not to add.

I'm sure they do.  And you know one thing they take into consideration?  What people want.  I want my iPhone to be waterproof.  Other people do too.  From what you're saying now, it seem you're not against the idea, though it's not a priority for you.  That's fine, you can have your priorities, but let other people have theirs without the superior attitude pls.

• Reply 51 of 163
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I think it's a clever spot and a worthy charity. Nothing wrong with a little good natured competition. Hopefully Apple can think of a clever way to respond.

Apple doesn't respond to thieves.
  • Reply 52 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple doesn't respond to thieves.

Oh?

• Reply 53 of 163
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

No, certain people are more accident prone than others.

It's like with car insurance. Some people have never gotten into any accidents, while other drivers are more accident prone, and they should rightfully pay more for their insurance.

You talk out of both sides of your mouth. Accidents are accidents; that's why they're called....accidents. People do pay more for car insurance after having a few accidents, which makes one a higher risk. But an accident can happen at any time for any reason, and it's by no fault of the victim that they are killed or handicapped due to a drunk driver. That situation doesn't make the victim any more prone to accidents than the next guy, it's simply makes him in the wrong place at the wrong time. You are very black & white, my friend, when the real world is, very much, many shades of gray. Just because it fits you doesn't mean it fits everyone else.

• Reply 54 of 163
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Okaaay,

How is this any better or any worse than (PRODUCT)Red?

https://www.apple.com/uk/product-red/

Both Apple and Samsung have jumped on the charity bandwagon. Apple may have the talent to make their charity tie-ins more tasteful than Samsung, but let's not fool ourselves here: both are playing the same game. Both are pushing their products for profit under the guise of altruism.

No matter how tasteless this ad seems, I think, in the end you have to ask: Is the end result more positive for the charity concerned than not doing it? A good case can be made that it is more positive.
  • Reply 55 of 163

Funny! But ridiculously cheesy of Samsung to take a fun charity gathering idea and making it money making promo for their product! I think ALSA.ORG should contact Samsung to pull the ad off.

• Reply 56 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

You talk out of both sides of your mouth. Accidents are accidents; that's why they're called....accidents. People do pay more for car insurance after having a few accidents, which makes one a higher risk. But an accident can happen at any time for any reason, and it's by no fault of the victim that they are killed or handicapped due to a drunk driver. That situation doesn't make the victim any more prone to accidents than the next guy, it's simply makes him in the wrong place at the wrong time. You are very black & white, my friend, when the real world is, very much, many shades of gray. Just because it fits you doesn't mean it fits everyone else.

Of course if a driver is hit by another driver and it is no fault of their own, then that is an unpreventable accident, but I'm talking about people who seem to break their iPhones more often than others, and I'm also saying that in virtually every case, it is their own fault.

If a person is a drunk or if they're very careless or if they're just extremely unlucky, then these people should get insurance for their phones. I don't give a crap about careless people who break their phones. People should take responsibility for their own actions and decisions.

• Reply 57 of 163
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Last winter I dropped my iPhone 5 in ice-cold water while wade-fishing a river. The phone stayed submerged under water until I was able to get back up on my feet and pull it out by the lanyard. The total time it was submerged was about 10 seconds.

Once I got out, I turned the phone off until I got home. Today, I'm using that same iPhone with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I did not have to take it for repair or anything. I might've been lucky, but I would do that ice-bucket challenge on my iPhone any day and not worry.

A friend of mine left his 3G out in the garden. Rained all night. Next morning he put it in the oven, door ajar, temp set at the lowest, someone like 70°C and took it out 2 hours later. Left it for the day, charged it in the evening, booted up, used it till the next model came out. I think his son is still playing games on the thing.

Someone should dare Samsung do that.
  • Reply 58 of 163
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Is the end result more positive for the charity concerned than not doing it? A good case can be made that it is more positive.

Oh, come off it.  There's a huge difference between a) creating a product line explicitly identified with a charity, and b) trivializing a charity for the sake of a bad joke.

The message of the former is unmistakable, while the message of the latter is ambiguous at best.

• Reply 59 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sog35 wrote: »
    When was the last time Samsung donated to charity?

This is really low class.  If they want to donate to a good cause do it.  Dont use it as a vehicle to bash competitors. 

Shows how little Samsung understands PR

1) Samsung donates Apple's products to their engineering department all the time¡

2) This isn't about charity. It's about showing off the water resistance capabilities of that device.

3) I like the idea of the ad but I felt it fell flat. I think it needed a lot more water and for a lot longer to be effective.
  • Reply 60 of 163

Wait, so up until this point, the IBC has been about nothing but donations, with no interest whatsoever in self promotion, getting eyeballs on your videos, or pushing other causes? Could have fooled me.

I see that their publishing note covers the donation: "We are calling out all of our followers for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Our Galaxy S5 just did it for the Motor Neurone Disease Association. Donate here www.mndassociation.org"

I have not purchased any Samsung products in the last 5 or 6 years. I see no problem with this youtube video though (you can call it an "ad" if you like, but it's just a wannabe viral video like all the other IBC videos).