Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 163
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    crowley wrote: »
    But preferred.

It is not truly waterproof - merely water resistant. The whole premise is a scam.
  • Reply 102 of 163
    http://www.imore.com/iphone-alsicebucketchallenge-proves-samsung-marketing-clueless-again

And Apple wins again. The iPhone can take quick baths, just can't submerge....
  • Reply 103 of 163
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I actually think it's quite funny.

Hope they did make a donation as well though, for piggybacking on the cause.

I think this "commercial" shows how low Samsung, and their supporters, willing to be in order to one up Apple. First they made a commercial to capitalize on the charity cause mainly to tried to one up their competitor. Second, they faked the commercial (Looks at the time at the title bar). 

And third, the competitor also passed the test, without the need to stoop this low, or fake it. This is also show how stupid Samsung and their fans is/are, to think that iPhone would not pass this kind of test. And Apple doesn't even advertise it, or brag about it.

Classless corporation. Classless fans.

Sorry, someone has to be frank.

• Reply 104 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    freerange wrote: »
    It is not truly waterproof - merely water resistant. The whole premise is a scam.

Water resistance doesn't mean it's a scam, it means there are limitations to its proofing. The Galaxy S5 is rated IP67. The first number refers to dust and other particulars and the second refers to the water test. It's an IEC standard!

In this case, it has to have to have the USB grommet properly secured, be up to 1 meter depth, and be submerged for a full 30 minutes without any water seeping in. If it's still working I believe they then take it apart to verify there is no water in the casing at all.
  • Reply 105 of 163

So... Samsung using a debilitating disease that ultimately kills the victim ... to use a negative marketing campaign against Apple and to try to boost their sales? Classy move indeed.

• Reply 106 of 163
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

What happened here? I took two screen grabs, one before the ice dropped and one after. Here they are. Did they swap out the phones? Why would the time be different, and what happened to the background behind the top bar?

Aha! I see what happened. The screen at the beginning was just a screenshot. When the ice falls, one of the cubes touches the screen and animates the menu options up onto it.

Just like iOS and the Photos app, touch to hide, touch to show.

Why they felt they needed to use a screenshot instead of showing the OS live is another question.

• Reply 107 of 163
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The bracelet will be waterproof. And it will be special. And then it will be copied.
    Samsung,.. What a bunch of idiots.
  • Reply 108 of 163
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Have to say that I'm not sure hijacking charity like this is in the best possible taste, but if Samsung raises awareness then that is a positive thing.

The ad was faked? No real surprise there.

Will Apple respond? No, there's no need. Samsung is desperate. They're trying to draw Apple into a spec war and away from questions of security, ecosystem, cohesiveness and quality where Samsung knows it is lacking.

Last month, Samsung came up with an ad telling people they didn't need to wait until later in the year for a larger screen, thereby telling millions of people that a larger screen iPhone was on the way. When you're desperate, you don't think straight.
  • Reply 109 of 163

There's a company where you can send in your iPhone or iPad and they'll put a water resistant coating on it. They only do iOS devices, if I remember correctly. I think the name is Liquipel. I emailed them awhile back asking when they would let me send in my Macbook for the same thing; they said they are working on getting a special machine for that. So the Samsung doesn't have anything special that iPhone users couldn't pay for and get.

That said, I found this ad to be opportunistic and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They think they're rocking viral marketing because they're picking up on something that's all over social media, but I feel like this is a perfect demonstration of just how tone deaf their strategies can be.

• Reply 110 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

What happened here? I took two screen grabs, one before the ice dropped and one after. Here they are. Did they swap out the phones? Why would the time be different, and what happened to the background behind the top bar?

You got me wondering, so I watched the video again, and its actually a very simple.  They took a screenshot of the screen (as seen inside of the first picture) and displayed it in full screen on the device, thus the black notification bar is hidden. The screenshot is of the lock screen which has a transparent notification bar. When the water and ice hits the display, you can see the image move for a second to the left, and snap back into place (similar to scrolling through images).  Due to the movement on the display, the ACTUAL notification bar in black (as seen in your second image) became visible and overlaps the image of the screenshot.

Personally, I don't like the look of Samsung's Galaxy S5, in their efforts to waterproof and improve durability of their device, it almost comes across as bulky and unrefined.  

Sony on the other hand has implemented waterproofing in a way I imagine Apple would,  with a very sleek and simple look. Something that doesn't compromise the design.

• Reply 111 of 163
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    zaba wrote: »
    Although I think Samsung make rubbish I have to agree with you, given the high profile Apple execs being iced I think it is a really clever and humorous ad.

The thing is, Apple do not claim that the iPhone is waterproof. If Apple wanted to they could easily make a waterproof version of the iPhone but from my experience people do not like fiddling about with little rubber port covers that after a while either break off and get lost or their physical properties change to a slimy mess. Anyone wanting to use their iPhone under water can easily buy a waterproof case. My daughter recently dropped her iPhone 5 into a bowl of water and recovered it with no problems at all, it is still working perfectly.
  • Reply 112 of 163
    velmsvelms Posts: 7member
    cheeky ..

would be fun if nokia , htc or apple takes the challenge and nominates Bada OS and Tizen :P
  • Reply 113 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

When was the last time Samsung donated to charity?

This is really low class.  If they want to donate to a good cause do it.  Dont use it as a vehicle to bash competitors. 

Shows how little Samsung understands PR

Since when did Apple donate to charity while Steve was running the show? Its only since liberal lefty Tim took over

• Reply 114 of 163
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I never said that I never had an accident. Don't put words into other people's mouths.

A few years ago I spilled a huge cup of coke all over my Macbook, basically killing the machine. I managed to fix it eventually, after I disassembled the entire machine and gave it an alcohol bath and then dried it out, but it was purely my own fault for being careless.

I have never had any phone or iPad accidents yet, and I keep all of my devices naked.

Accidents can and will happen, but in virtually all cases it's the fault and the responsibility of the user.

lol and this is why we can't drink nice things around computers lol ...

also don't spill coffee with cream in it on to a keyboard...
  • Reply 115 of 163
    "perfect opportunity for the brand to do something that was meaningful but also unexpected."

And yet crass but also tasteless.
  • Reply 116 of 163

Oh, yes, Samsung, water proofing will definitely make me want to buy your phone. What other reason could there be.

• Reply 117 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Aha! I see what happened. The screen at the beginning was just a screenshot. When the ice falls, one of the cubes touches the screen and animates the menu options up onto it.

Just like iOS and the Photos app, touch to hide, touch to show.

Why they felt they needed to use a screenshot instead of showing the OS live is another question.

From the time they took the the screen-shot to when they shot the scene it took exactly 44 minutes. In those 44 min the battery went from 64% to 56%. That's 12.5%, who's the "wall-hugger" now? LOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

Since when did Apple donate to charity while Steve was running the show? Its only since liberal lefty Tim took over

Apple donates a lot to charities, remember Bono and the Red campaign aka AIDS. Actually, almost every large US corporation donates to some sort of charity, including wealthy families. Even if they don't believe in donations. The money that goes to charity is tax deductible, there are some fake charities which are used to legally launder money. Did you ever wonder why famous people donate to charities that are almost impossible to track, who is gonna travel to some African town by plane, bus, car, bike, donkey, then foot to see if a charity is worth the money. Did you ever ask yourself why do those charities never solve the problem they're claiming to tackle, and what will happen to the charity if the problem is solved?

• Reply 118 of 163
    rgh71 wrote: »
    Never heard a samsung phone talk before. I have to agree with everyone that this is quite pathetic. Like they're imitating a bad 80's movie robot and adding an English accent to make it a bit more sophisticated. It really is an embarrassment.

They should have faked the voice too, since they already faked the phone's display.
  • Reply 119 of 163
    haar wrote: »
    lol and this is why we can't drink nice things around computers lol ...

also don't spill coffee with cream in it on to a keyboard...

Speak for yourself.

My last Thinkpad had liquid drainage channels leading to drain holes under the notebook. I'm not kidding.
    My MacBooks have always had a silicone keyboard cover.
  • Reply 120 of 163
    Wow why is everyone so bitter? I went to buy a phone and had no preference between apple and android. After playing with it 5s and the s5, it's almost laughable how much more advanced the Samsung is. Not even in the same realm of technology. Sorry apple people but the new androids are ridiculously superior to iPhones at this point. If you don't think so, then you haven't used an s5 or you're simple blinded by fanaticism. Literally not even close. That said, who cares? All these people wrecking on "corporate" Samsung as if apple is your "friend" or something. Stop being such pansies. They're both corporate goliaths who don't care about you and right now, android is destroying apple. After using the 5s, the Apple feels like a 5 year old piece of tech. Sorry, that's just how it is. Maybe the iPhone 6 will bring some amazingness to the table but until then, apple is simple archaic. Time to admit it and stop with the blind following. It's pathetic. Grow up.