Rumor: Apple to redesign U.S. charging adapter for 'iPhone 6'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
An unsourced photo that surfaced Saturday from Asia indicates that Apple may be planning to redesign the iPhone charging adapter -- at least in the U.S. -- alongside the release of its next-generation handset, which is expected to sport a larger battery that may include increased charging requirements.

The part depicted in the photograph, which appeared on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo, bears the same physical design as Apple's current charging adapter in Australia. It is slightly wider than the current U.S. model, with notches on either side to allow a more solid grip when plugging and unplugging.

There is no word on why Apple would make such a move, though it is possible that the company plans to increase the charger's capacity above its current five watts. The so-called "iPhone 6" is rumored to ship with a battery some 46 percent larger than the battery in the iPhone 5s.

Also shown is a new Lightning charging cable with a reversible, USB Type-A plug at one end. A number of similar items have shown up in recent days -- and the company has been seen expressing interest in reversible designs -- though this design would not be compliant with official USB specifications.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at a media event on Sept. 9, with availability likely to begin on Sept. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    The Australian style charger is certainly easier to grab hold of than the square US style !!!
  • Reply 2 of 36
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    The iPhone adapter is already light and compact. Let's hope Apple is replacing that dreadfully heavy white brick that ships with the feather-light MacBook Air. Apple should make this standard with the next model: http://finsix.com/dart/
  • Reply 3 of 36
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    inkling wrote: »
    The iPhone adapter is already light and compact. Let's hope Apple is replacing that dreadfully heavy white brick that ships with the feather-light MacBook Air. Apple should make this standard with the next model: http://finsix.com/dart/

Or it could be a slight modification to the iPad charger. I doubt Apple needs to enlarge the iPhone charger just to increase its amperage slightly. (And yes, I was temped to use the term 'amp up' in place of 'increase' in that previous sentence.)
  • Reply 4 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That site also tells us it comes with a reversible USB cable, though holding it like this is no indication these plugs are both on a single cable:

I wish these posters would someday understand the importance of making a picture of the print on the plug. Now we can't read what the Amperage or Wattage is. Bad pic, OrangeLee, bad pic.

I doubt Apple needs to enlarge the iPhone charger just to increase its amperage slightly. (And yes, I was temped to use the term 'amp up' in place of 'increase' in that previous sentence.)

Lol. At least you didn't tell us it was more proof the 5.5" was coming¡
  • Reply 5 of 36
    It's about time Apple redesigned the charger. the old one was getting stale. /s
  • Reply 6 of 36
    philboogie wrote: »
    Lol. At least you didn't tell us it was more proof the 5.5" was coming¡

Isn't it obvious? The 5.5 inch model will also get the exclusive premium charger, with custom gold plated lightning connector.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Coincidentally Sammy rumored to change its charger design.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Overall I don't care since I typically leave them plugged in and have many extra around but I think I would prefer it not to get larger… unless that means it will charge faster. I've noticed that some large Android phones with huge batteries have charging times that are lower than the iPhone. I'd like to see Apple improve in that area.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Overall I don't care since I typically leave them plugged in and have many extra around but I think I would prefer it not to get larger… unless that means it will charge faster. I've noticed that some large Android phones with huge batteries have charging times that are lower than the iPhone. I'd like to see Apple improve in that area.

I just charge my iPhone using my 12W iPad charger. (the iPad's battery is much bigger of course).

Besides you don't want to charge it too quickly, as that wears the battery out faster. And we know how angry the Apple critics get when their phone batteries don't last 2 years.

• Reply 10 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And how long after it’s released before Apple has to make a new one with a green dot on it because some moron plugged one in incorrectly, it exploded, and he wanted to sue?

• Reply 11 of 36

Maybe it will use a lightning connector instead of USB?

• Reply 12 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

Maybe it will use a lightning connector instead of USB?

Lightning to Lightning? Then how will that cable connect to any computer?

• Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh yeah, that's true. How many people actually connect wired though?

• Reply 14 of 36
    inkling wrote: »
    I don't see why, maybe Redone IPad charged would be good?

Also this seems a way to get into trouble with apple, apples canceled modified MagSafe adapters in past.
    Or it could be a slight modification to the iPad charger. I doubt Apple needs to enlarge the iPhone charger just to increase its amperage slightly. (And yes, I was temped to use the term 'amp up' in place of 'increase' in that previous sentence.)
    Oh, said it together.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's about the size of battery and the chargers wattage, iPhone 5S battery right about 6.0 watts with the 5.0 watt charger, most android have same charger but are now going up to an 10 watt+ battery size meaning that if apple updates iPhone to 7.77 watt battery size which is a 2100 mah then a 7.5 watt/hr charger would be better.

I've always wondered why they do not sell a lighting to thunderbolt, but a lighting to USB would not be that hard to add in the box as well as a new lighting to Ac. Of course it would get weird quickly.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I for one wouldn't mind seeing them just go to one adapter for all iOS devices. Make things a lot easier. And this alleged new charger is a lot sexier than the current 12W.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I for one wouldn't mind seeing them just go to one adapter for all iOS devices. Make things a lot easier. And this alleged new charger is a lot sexier than the current 12W.

The problem with that is you end up with a larger charger for the the iPhone and iPods. I'm not sure I want a larger charger that will cost more if it'll still charge the device the same. The same goes for Mac notebooks. If you went to buy an 11" MBA would you want it to come with the charger for a 15" MBP? I wouldn't.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    It's about time Apple redesigned the charger. the old one was getting stale. /s

remember fandroids calling Apple stupid for switching to the lighting connector?

P.S. can't wait for the black Samsung one!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=samsung+copy+apple+charger&view=detail&id=6178E5E255F6CAE1A6C620C85A1F91D73B4C8E40&first=1

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=samsung+copy+apple+charger&view=detail&id=AE537FB43E70211F058AFD21D62F563AE8D488B6&first=3
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Ummm that's not Australian because they use the same plugs as us in New Zealand and the pins are not on an angle.

I think that's actually British if it's not US.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Isn't it obvious? The 5.5 inch model will also get the exclusive premium charger, with custom gold plated lightning connector.

You missed the part about it being so obvious that a deaf man could smell it. Or something.