Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81

Is it just me that has the Finder problem with Beta 6?

Upgraded from Beta 5 and now the Finder refuses to open... Any clues ?

• Reply 62 of 81
    Yosemite beta 6 is has nice interface.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The settings icons are a fucking mess. Why can't they get one guy to redesign them all? They're all different styles, complexities, flat vs gradients, different degrees of attractiveness and ugliness, etc. Some are completely redone, while others barely touched. Such a sloppy and odd job. I don't get it. 

It looks like they are going to change them all this time. Yes, it is a mess. It's always been messy. I think that the System Preferences icons are designed by embedded designers in different teams rather than some OS X uber designer. On mavericks, some ( for e.g.) the users and groups have a shadow, others don't. Some have gradients, some don't. Some are sheumorphic or photo realistic (startup disk and printers) others are flat. 
  • Reply 64 of 81
    The new iWork beta blocked me from accessing my documents nearly everywhere. Blocked on iCloud.com, not visible in Yosemite, not accessible on Mavericks, only on iOS.
    Sort of gives beta testing a whole new meaning.
    I just wish someone would make document editors that I actually would want to use. Microsoft, no thanks. Google, kidding? Apple, well thrice burned ..
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How can you tell it's inkjet?

The design is strictly inkjet. The plastic cover lifts up to reveal the cartridges.

Is there a specific different printer design that would look better?

Ah, you’ve hit upon a good point here. As much as I hate inkjet machines and as much as I don’t like the new design they’ve used (it looks like someone’s real product, and I hate that real product; the plastic is molded in just the wrong way to look ugly), the top-fed design of printer is probably the one that looks the best.

• Reply 66 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark VainGit View Post

Is it just me that has the Finder problem with Beta 6?

Upgraded from Beta 5 and now the Finder refuses to open... Any clues ?

There has been talk about that on the dev forums. Seems to be iCloud related. 

• Reply 67 of 81
    I installed Yosemite...hate the typography in the menus...
    On a NON-retina display they look out of focus

hate it so much that I reinstalled Mavericks
  • Reply 68 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by FireDune View Post

It’s fixed in DP6.

• Reply 69 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    firedune wrote: »
    I installed Yosemite...hate the typography in the menus...

hate it so much that I reinstalled Mavericks

I ran Yosemite on a 2010 15" MBP for a month and loved it. I don't understand your issue.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I've noticed frequent changes to application icons during the beta anyway.

I suppose it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string - they could iterate forever and still not meet everyone's standards of taste and consistency.

However, for my part, so far, I think that the new design itself is great...and I can see a major attempt at consistency emerging here. In fact, I think Apple are going further than before in terms of ensuring that the new design touches every aspect of the OS. There's obviously still a lot of work to do - and third party developers will take time to catch up - but it's getting there.

• Reply 71 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I believe this is its 3rd public beta.

Where did you hear that?  I haven't seen an update since the first public beta.

• Reply 72 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?  I haven't seen an update since the first public beta.

I didn't. I just assumed based on the release dates that it would match up with my developer betas. I was shocked to find out that the public beta is still at the same level of the 4th dev beta which doesn't have Handoff working properly.
  • Reply 73 of 81

I had an issue and it was related to Filevault kicking on. Had to boot from a backup, let FileVault finish its thing, and then it worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

• Reply 74 of 81
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I didn't. I just assumed based on the release dates that it would match up with my developer betas. I was shocked to find out that the public beta is still at the same level of the 4th dev beta which doesn't have Handoff working properly.

Lack of Handoff is not issue as there is not public beta of iOS 8.
    Or is Handoff also working between macs?
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Lack of Handoff is not issue as there is not public beta of iOS 8.
    Or is Handoff also working between macs?

1) Remember that there fewer paid Mac developers than paid iOS developers, which is probably why Apple has done a public beta for Mac OS X and won't ever need to for iOS (at least not with its current developer popularity).

2) Yes, as well as just between iDevices if that's the only setup you have.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    mazda 3s wrote: »

I never understand why people can work with these kind of wallpapers. They distract immensely when working. I always select a simple solid color as background :-)
  • Reply 77 of 81
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I kinda agree the icons are a mixed bag. But that was the case before Yosemite as well.
    After I read your rant on my MBP I pulled up my Yosemite server over ADR and put the Mavericks and Yosemite System Prefs side by side. I am assuming that's what you mean? Not sure I see any issues, just a refreshingly new look. Nothing to get your knickers in a bunch over.:)

• Reply 78 of 81
    dacloo wrote: »
    I never understand why people can work with these kind of wallpapers. They distract immensely when working. I always select a simple solid color as background :-)

Solid black for so-many-years-now-I-can't-remember and counting.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    dacloo wrote: »
    mazda 3s wrote: »

Work in full screen and you will have no background to distract you.
  • Reply 80 of 81

Public beta 2 got a bunch more Yosemite wallpapers, not just that one! :)