Business Week Special Report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In case you guys haven't heard, <a href="http://www.businessweek.com"; target="_blank">Business Week</a> has posted a detailed report on Apple.

Why do they keep referring to iMovie as iFilm? Obviously they have done an editorial search and replace that replaces the word "movie" with film, and despite all their research and preparation for this report, their copy editors are so unfamiliar with Apple that they didn't catch the mistake. Very professional.

I haven't finished reading the report, but there are some good things said about Apple, despite many continued misconceptiions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Jef Raskin is an idiot.</strong><hr></blockquote>

More like an ass.

He do have some points (not in the article but elsewhere) but he is just so full of himself. He thinks he has seen the light and everybody else is wrong. I bet he thinks if he was Steve instead of Steve he could just do these three or four things to the OS and glory and marketshare would come to Apple. To quote Homer: "He live in a world of makebelieve"
  • Reply 2 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

More like an ass.

He do have some points (not in the article but elsewhere) but he is just so full of himself. He thinks he has seen the light and everybody else is wrong. I bet he thinks if he was Steve instead of Steve he could just do these three or four things to the OS and glory and marketshare would come to Apple. To quote Homer: "He live in a world of makebelieve"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, Raskin graduated from Penn State in the sixties!

He is pretty much a loser.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 14
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>

Hey, Raskin graduated from Penn State in the sixties!

He is pretty much a loser.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe he's having a bad acid trip. Anybody e-mail him?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Jef Raskin is a smart guy, but he's been bitter as hell about Apple since he left. It's sad, really, because it means anything he says on the subject is hugely biased and therefore pretty much worthless.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Unfortunately Belle, not everyone reading that article will know that.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Why do people say things like "Jef Raskin is an idiot" so casually and freely? First of all, this man is partially responsible for the Mac, so he certainly has a much deeper understanding of how a computer should work than anyone reading these boards. Just because what he is saying doesn't fit in with the latest headlines about Apple having strong initial sales for the iMac or a slow economy or Enron collapsing doesn't mean he's an idiot.

What he's saying is true but it's not just realistic to for Apple to implement it at this time. Microsoft could try but they are too lazy.

The whole point of a GUI is to standardize things. You can instantly look at a set of radio buttons in a dialog box and know a lot about what to do next. Why not implement standards into everything? He's right, if you want to do a calculation like 9*5.4 you shouldn't need to load a new program to do it. The calculation should be entered in a standard box and added to your document in a standard way no matter what program you are using of the document it's going into. Right now each different program you use handles displaying information in it's own way. Much of this could be standardized so that you'd have much more intuition about what is going on than you do now. But doing this would require a new infrastructure. Every program would have to redesign its interface to meet the standards. With Apple's marketshare at 5% they can't realistically force or entice developers to do this. But it WOULD be a huge advantage over the long run if it could be done. Jef Raskin is certainly not an idiot and if he was I doubt 99.99% of the people that read this board would be qualified to have a real opinion about it.

Whether young people know it or not, 25 years ago you thought long and hard before you said a bad word about someone. And a person of significant accomplishment was given every benefit of the doubt, not thrown away as an idiot after they were no longer currently useful or in the spotlight.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: spindler ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Raskin's article wasn't so bad. His points are fine and good. But I think it comes down to the fact that Mac users want a Mac OS. Look at the furor over the so-called "window dressing" of OS X: with the appearance and added items like the Dock it's been declared "not a Mac" by many as it is. Imagine a shift away from the desktop metaphor and mousing altogether! They're trapped between a rock and a hard place. I think most of Raskin's ideas in the article are able to be implemented within the current paradigm too. I wonder if he thinks they're incongruous.

[edit: there's no apostrophe in "thinks."]

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 14
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    For a business magazine, they are extremely sloppy about details. For example, I love this parth:

[quote] "Apple now boasts operating margins of about 30% -- triple or quadruple the average for the temporarily downtrodden PC biz. Plus it has $4 billion in the bank"<hr></blockquote>

Excuse me? $4 billion? It's actually $4.4 billion. Since when did $400 million dollars become chump-change that you could round-down?

Then, there's the whole 'iFilm' bit ...

I don't care what the rest of the article says. Sloppy profesionalism is inexcusable. I don't even bother to finish the article.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Alex Salkever wrote the article with the "iFilm" mention. I emailed him and he says it's being changed to "iMovie". He thanked me.

P.S. It has been changed.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by spindler:

<strong>But doing this would require a new infrastructure. Every program would have to redesign its interface to meet the standards. With Apple's marketshare at 5% they can't realistically force or entice developers to do this. But it WOULD be a huge advantage over the long run if it could be done. Jef Raskin is certainly not an idiot and if he was I doubt 99.99% of the people that read this board would be qualified to have a real opinion about it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats the reason why I called him an ass. In a very VERY abstract way he is right: In the perfect world things would have changed and the GUI would be completly different. But unfortunetly it is impossible because Apple can´t make perfect worlds but only try to compete in this one. What Jef Raskin is suggesting is for Apple to go to Adobe, MS aso and say "Hey guys. New research have shown that it is much more intuitive for people to calculate 59 times 54.6 right in your programs instead of starting the calculator. We will build this and 100 other things into the OS that your programs MUST be able to handle to be able to run on our computers in the future. Please do that thank you." Would Apple survive this? No. The problem with Raskin is that he igneore this even though he is smart enough to know it.

Without people like Raskin we would not have the Mac, the internet, the car or rockets. But when those people just go into a corner and becomes bitter its just a shame.

Services under Cocoa is actually the ideal combination of what Raskin wants and what is possible without killing the Mac platform and its a shame he didn´t mention that.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 14
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 12 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Tog and Raskin should have a UI death match.

Tog is adamant about familiarity being the cornerstone of good UI design -- that continuity is important. He sees OS X as not being familiar enough.

Raskin is adamant about making mechanical efficiency the cornerstone of good UI design. He sees OS X as being chained to familiar interface/system conventions.

Methinks the answer takes ideas from both men, and a few others to boot.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Seems like BW wanted to have some negative things to say about OS X, so they dug up Raskin. Nobody else would rag on OS X like Raskin does.

In other words, BW wanted a certain slant to their story, and they found the right person to interview so they could get their slant. That's such poor journalism...reading this article doesn't represent the general consensus among the tech press on OS X, mainly, that it kicks ass.

BW sucks ass, I'll tell ya that much.