Purported 'iPhone 6' speaker assembly revealed by Chinese repair firm

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A photo that is said to depict the loudspeaker assembly from Apple's next-generation iPhone surfaced on Tuesday from a wholesale electronics parts supplier in the Far East, alongside pictures of several other supposed "iPhone 6" components.

The speaker is slightly redesigned from its predecessor in the iPhone 5s, though it is difficult to determine its relative size. Also seen for the first time is a vibration motor, as well as a European variant of the larger power adapter that appeared last weekend.

The parts, along with a number of flex cables and structural components that match up with previous leaks, are being offered for sale by China-based wholesaler Elekworld, which sent pictures of the alleged components to AppleInsider on Tuesday. The company is one of thousands of wholesalers located in Shenzhen's famous Huaqiangbei electronics district, near assembly partner Foxconn's primary manufacturing facilities.

Though the parts are obviously impossible to authenticate, individual components that leak in the days leading up to new iPhone or iPad introductions have traditionally had a relatively high ratio of legitimacy. The realities of the global supply chain have made it increasingly difficult for Apple to keep every detail of its upcoming products under wraps as they ramp up production for tens of millions of units.

The company is expected to introduce at least one of its next-generation handsets -- likely a 4.7-inch model -- at a special media event on Sept. 9. General availability would likely come on Sept. 19 if the company sticks to its previously-established release schedules.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    I hope the speakers are louder.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

I'm not saying the same number of leaks wouldn't happen if manufacturing was done in the US, but at least here Apple could prosecute the people leaking information and product photos. If this hardware is Apple property then it's theft plain and simple. Freedom of speech doesn't have anything to do with this, especially when the China doesn't have that convoluted right.

• Reply 3 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    rot'napple wrote: »

If they are it'll probably be proof dog (< autocorrupt) sog was right and there is indeed a 5.5" version.

PS You're sig is outdated as Bob & Johnny both died in 2003.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Still just the one speaker? Have to wait until next year for stereophonic sound, then. My pet ant can't wait.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    philboogie wrote: »
    If they are it'll probably be proof dog (< autocorrupt) sog was right and there is indeed a 5.5" version.

"autocorrupt"—I like that. First time I've seen it. Warning: may steal.

The disappearance of hope and cash in 2003 i'm not going to touch.

Oh, and a bigger phone might just need a louder speaker, for design balance.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

regarding my sig as outdated… that's okay, I'm outdated too!

• Reply 7 of 27
    I'm so glad Appleinsider posted this story. It proves that Apple is still the innovative juggernaut it was under Steve Jobs. I can sleep soundly tonight now that I've seen the iPhone 6's incredible speaker assembly.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Warning: may steal.

That's ok. Copy it - everybody else does.
    The disappearance of hope and cash in 2003 i'm not going to touch.

A shame. Was hoping you would've had cached memories for us¡
    rot'napple wrote: »
    regarding my sig as outdated… that's okay, I'm outdated too!

LOL. Hey, that applies to me too.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Speaker module. How exciting.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I'm sorry but European plugs are just nicer than American ones. They are rounded and just feel more like Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    They feel the same when you get shocked by them though. :)
  • Reply 12 of 27
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'm sorry but European plugs are just nicer than American ones. They are rounded and just feel more like Apple.

The only thing I want to feel like Apple, is Apple. Nothing else.

• Reply 13 of 27
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

It looks like, maybe, that new speaker is dual (high and low frequency) drivers (?). That could be pretty nice.

I find the speaker on my old 4s to be pretty amazing (for what it is) though. No complaints.

• Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

They feel the same when you get shocked by them though. image

Beg to differ, I've been zapped with 220 Volts.

• Reply 15 of 27
    Hey Apple! It's time for dual speakers, like the HTC one got almost 2 years ago now. Stop cutting corners, that is very un-Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

Hey Apple! It's time for dual speakers, like the HTC one got almost 2 years ago now. Stop cutting corners, that is very un-Apple.

Keep your FUD to yourself.

• Reply 17 of 27
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Keep your FUD to yourself.

Agreed, it's a phone, what do you need stereo speakers for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Louder doesn't automatically make them better.

• Reply 18 of 27
    pigybank wrote: »

It's a phone, not a portable transistor radio from the 70s.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

It's a phone, not a portable transistor radio from the 70s.

Which, despite occupying an order of magnitude more physical space, still had only one speaker!

• Reply 20 of 27
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    pigybank wrote: »

Sooooo, duplicating another phones feature is more "Apple-like"!?

Lol

Explain the benefit of dual speakers?