Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Apple will expand the iPad lineup in early 2015 with a new, larger 12.9-inch model flanking the existing 9.7-inch iPad Air and 7.9-inch iPad mini, a new report claims.

iPad Air
The iPad Air is currently Apple's largest tablet with a 9.7-inch display.

Citing unnamed "people with knowledge of the matter," Bloomberg reported on Tuesday that suppliers are already preparing to manufacture Apple's jumbo-sized iPad. Full-scale manufacturing of the device is reportedly set to begin in the first quarter of next year.

As for what the new iPad might offer aside from a larger display, no new details were provided. Some have speculated that the device could be a so-called "iPad Pro," serving as a way to integrate more power user and traditional laptop functions into the device, including a potential keyboard dock.

In the meantime, Apple is also expected to go bigger with the iPhone, as the company is said to be planning launch two new models with larger screens this fall. Specifically, Apple is rumored to hold a Sept. 9 event where the company will unveil iPhones with screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches.

Retina iPad mini review

Apple's existing iPad Air and iPad mini are also expected to see updates this fall, giving the devices the Touch ID fingerprint sensor that's currently exclusive to the iPhone 5s. But the so-called "iPad Pro" won't make it in time for the holiday season, Tuesday's report suggested.

If Apple does expand the iPad lineup, it comes at a time when the company's tablet sales have slowed, falling slightly over the last two quarters. But Apple signaled to investors in July that the company remains bullish on the future of the tablet market, as Chief Executive Tim Cook teased that the company is planning innovations in hardware, software and services.

"What's important to us is that customers are enjoying their iPads and using them heavily," Cook said.

Word of a 12.9-inch iPad has been supported by connected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who signaled early this year that the device wouldn't be ready for a fall 2014 launch. He expects that the new, larger iPad will require a revised operating system to take advantage of the larger display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I wonder if there will be a 5.5-inch "jumbo iPod touch..."
  • Reply 2 of 115
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Choice is always good, within reason, but I'm hard pressed to see how for myself something larger than my iPad Air would be good for me.
  • Reply 3 of 115
    Can't imagine this will be a big seller given the price premium they would charge and the $100 for every bit above 16GB.

My iPad Mini set me back $900 loaded.... this would be priced well above the 13" Air.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I guess we need to modify Cook's comment from 2013:

[QUOTE]"you will see exciting new products from us in the fall and across [S]2014[/S] 2015." [/QUOTE]

Are we getting anything from Apple this fall besides a new iPhone and iPad? Based on Broadwell release it looks like new Macs won't be ready until next year.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I'd be first in line to get one, especially if it enhances music and art/graphics creation.

• Reply 6 of 115
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I see this iPad as being more of a DCC machine. I see it as being less about carrying it around and more about it being a nice complement to your desktop setup. I see it being the preferred size for Photogs, video mavens and music creators.

I could see the RAM doubling and these coming in a quad core configuration.
  • Reply 7 of 115
    I'd be first in line to get one.

Not if I get there first! :P
  • Reply 8 of 115
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess we need to modify Cook's comment from 2013:

Are we getting anything from Apple this fall besides a new iPhone and iPad? Based on Broadwell release it looks like new Macs won't be ready until next year.

I'm still banking on the rMBA to debut this Fall.

• Reply 9 of 115
    jasocojasoco Posts: 74member
    Completely pointless unless Apple is willing to go the Hybrid route, which they are less likely to do than they are to release a 13" iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 115

surely any large iPad would need to have a good stylus style method of drawing / taking notes. No not like the Tab - more like using a decent pencil or felt pen on paper experience. sure you should not need a stylus simply to use and iPad - Jobs already said that was a fail - but it not having a really good stylus option really precludes an iPad from taking notes / helping create ideas etc

• Reply 11 of 115
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Can't wait. I really want one of these to go along with my 5.5" iPhone. Perfect combo.

• Reply 12 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I’ve been waiting for this for nearly eight years. Here’s one place a larger screen can only be better.

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post

Completely pointless unless Apple is willing to go the Hybrid route...

So you don’t know what a tablet is, then.

• Reply 13 of 115
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm waiting for [B]sog35[/B] to say how this proves there will be a 5.5" iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 115
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

I just can't see this happening.  If you need larger than the iPad Air, why not just buy a MBA?

• Reply 15 of 115
    canukstorm wrote: »

I'm still banking on the rMBA to debut this Fall.
    I hope so. MBA's are perfect except for the non-retina display. And Yosemite was definitely designed with retina display in mind.
  • Reply 16 of 115
    surely any large iPad would need to have a good stylus style method of drawing / taking notes. No not like the Tab - more like using a decent pencil or felt pen on paper experience. sure you should not need a stylus simply to use and iPad - Jobs already said that was a fail - but it not having a really good stylus option really precludes an iPad from taking notes / helping create ideas etc
    I never get why people claim a stylus = fail. Obviously what Steve was referring to was resistive screens that required a stylus to be useful. That's not the same as using a stylus for note taking or for artists where I think proper stylus report would be super useful.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I never get why people claim a stylus = fail. Obviously what Steve was referring to was resistive screens that required a stylus to be useful. That's not the same as using a stylus for note taking or for artists where I think proper stylus report would be super useful.

A larger iPad with an optional stylus (and palm rejection) as accurate and responsive as a Wacom tablet would be a dream come true.

• Reply 18 of 115
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I just can't see this happening.  If you need larger than the iPad Air, why not just buy a MBA?

In most cases- I agree.  I cant see a 12" iPad being more than a niche.  But I'm willing to listen to what others think the advantage might be- so far no one has said anything outside of drawing... 

• Reply 19 of 115
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I love how close-minded everyone in this thread is. A larger iPad has its place, especially for those that are used primarily at home. My parents use the iPad Air has their main computing device, and they ALWAYS ask me if theres a bigger version. Larger laptop availability is irrelevant, as people like my parents that are used to the iPad, love using it and despise using anything else. Larger screen real estate would be great for many.
  • Reply 20 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A larger iPad with a stylus as accurate and responsive as a Wacom tablet would be a dream come true.

I agree with you.

And It was brilliant implementation with the original iPad that a stylus was simply not needed. As the iPad has improved, especially the screen resolution - the capability of fine line notes and drawings would now really befit from the partnership of a good fast active stylus. A stylus that you only popped out of its integral holder when you wanted to draw and annotate sketches and drawings. It needs to be MUCH better than the crap stylus available for iPads ( even the jot is pretty much useless)