Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess we need to modify Cook's comment from 2013:
    Quote:

"you will see exciting new products from us in the fall and across 2014 2015."

Are we getting anything from Apple this fall besides a new iPhone and iPad? Based on Broadwell release it looks like new Macs won't be ready until next year.

We still have over four months of 2014 left, so your comment is premature. Try writing it on 1st January, 2015.

• Reply 42 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I see this iPad as being more of a DCC machine. I see it as being less about carrying it around and more about it being a nice complement to your desktop setup. I see it being the preferred size for Photogs, video mavens and music creators.

I could see the RAM doubling and these coming in a quad core configuration.

Why?

People carry around 13" and 15" laptops. Why would they object to carrying around a far more portable 13" iPad?

• Reply 43 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A larger iPad with an optional stylus (and palm rejection) as accurate and responsive as a Wacom tablet would be a dream come true.

Yes, and I can not see this not happening for a device that would be a sure fire hit with illustrators, designers and other visual creatives. 

Fair enough; I also can not not see this not not happening, probably.

• Reply 44 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vman815 View Post

Oh great! Now there'll be an even LARGER glass surface I'll have to constantly wipe fingerprints off of.

Oh, the hardship!

• Reply 45 of 115
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    That won't not never happen, ever, of course. I mean I wouldnt not order one immediately, if I could.
  • Reply 46 of 115
    surely any large iPad would need to have a good stylus style method of drawing / taking notes. No not like the Tab - more like using a decent pencil or felt pen on paper experience. sure you should not need a stylus simply to use and iPad - Jobs already said that was a fail - but it not having a really good stylus option really precludes an iPad from taking notes / helping create ideas etc

I've noticed how the tablets that tout a stylus are careful to not rest their palm on the glass while scrawling in large letters on the surface. If this is what you think of as "note taking" then I want nothing to do with it. Go ahead, bring up your favorite ad showing someone writing on a tablet with a stylus and see what a poor-assed job it does!
  • Reply 47 of 115
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    Unless this supposed "iPad Mega" is actually the screen half of a convertible MBA, this device serves no purpose...  It won't fit nicely anywhere into the pricing model Apple has built.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why?

People carry around 13" and 15" laptops. Why would they object to carrying around a far more portable 13" iPad?

I don't think he's objecting to carrying but ratger the use whilst carrying. I carry my notebook on a zipped bag with handles but I don't use while actually walking around or standing. An iPad would have to do that.

That said, I am totally see this happenjng with the current sizes plateauing in sales and the dominance r has for a vast number of occupations, as well the number of people that use it almost exclusively as their primary computing device in the home.

I don't think size in an issue there but weight could be, but I would bet the weight is probably right around the original iPad if not lighter.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

surely any large iPad would need to have a good stylus style method of drawing / taking notes. No not like the Tab - more like using a decent pencil or felt pen on paper experience. sure you should not need a stylus simply to use and iPad - Jobs already said that was a fail - but it not having a really good stylus option really precludes an iPad from taking notes / helping create ideas etc

I've noticed how the tablets that tout a stylus are careful to not rest their palm on the glass while scrawling in large letters on the surface. If this is what you think of as "note taking" then I want nothing to do with it. Go ahead, bring up your favorite ad showing someone writing on a tablet with a stylus and see what a poor-assed job it does!

Indeed.

It should be possible to accommodate styli, though. I imagine it would need low-level APIs to turn off the multi-touch and change the target area to much finer than a fingerprint. I think there are apps now that go some way to ignoring the palm, but not with consistency. The problem arises when you start moving around; as soon as you change the palm position, the screen can accidentally detect it as a stylus.

• Reply 50 of 115
    Quote:

NO - that is NOT what i think of note taking, please read the words i used - 

...surely any large iPad would need to have a good stylus style method of drawing / taking notes. No not like the Tab.....

?i can't bring up an ad showing someone writing on a tablet with anything but a poor assed job - thats why i don't have, won't have a galaxy tab.

Just as the original iPad managed to eschew a stylus, with brilliant hardware and software design so I will hope for a new iPad that ADDS GOOD / brilliant stylus capability. 

• Reply 51 of 115
    paxman wrote: »

A larger iPad with an optional stylus (and palm rejection) as accurate and responsive as a Wacom tablet would be a dream come true.
    Yes, and I can not see this not happening for a device that would be a sure fire hit with illustrators, designers and other visual creatives. 

All your double double negatives lost me, but it you'd like to see it already happening, do a google search on the term, "video of architect using an iPad to draw."

Enjoy all 3,370,000 videos....
  • Reply 52 of 115
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Why the hell would I want a MBA? 

A MBA is useless for a person who wants an iPad.

Ok, fair enough.  

• Reply 53 of 115
    Indeed.

It should be possible to accommodate styli, though. I imagine it would need low-level APIs to turn off the multi-touch and change the target area to much finer than a fingerprint. I think there are apps now that go some way to ignoring the palm, but not with consistency. The problem arises when you start moving around; as soon as you change the palm position, the screen can accidentally detect it as a stylus.

I don't think that would be an issue since they already prevrnt unintended touches from happening.

The APIs and framework(s) aren't simlle but that's in Apple's wheelhouse so I don't foresee any issues if Apple devices to go that route.

The real challenge I see is the cost of the digitizer. Check out the price of the Galaxy Note. Would economies of sce bring the cost down far enough to make it feasible? Is there a supply issue for digitizers (or other component-related issues that could affect unit numbers)? How many peopel would use this component if added?
  • Reply 54 of 115
    I predict Apple starts to use S-M-L-XL for their device lines, from phone to tablets to laptops... if they keep expanding the product line, it makes sense to help simplify how to differentiate and market their products. Different sizes for different people, different lives and different thinking.

Besides, it would be a cool insider joke on the Rem Koolhaas and Bruce Mau S-M-L-XL book.
  • Reply 55 of 115
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

That's probably true of a lot of tablets that like the iPad don't have an active digitizer built in - however, writing/drawing with a  pen on my surface is awesome.  Wacom digitizer with palm blocking....

I haven't tried it out on the Pro 3 yet - I still have a first gen pro - but, apparently writing on that is even more natural due to the screen tech.  Much less latency.

• Reply 56 of 115
    terribly wrote: »
    I predict Apple starts to use S-M-L-XL for their device lines, from phone to tablets to laptops... if they keep expanding the product line, it makes sense to help simplify how to differentiate and market their products. Different sizes for different people, different lives and different thinking.

Besides, it would be a cool insider joke on the Rem Koolhaas and Bruce Mau S-M-L-XL book.

I want to see GL, GLS, etc. like with cars¡
  • Reply 57 of 115
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I just can't see this happening.  If you need larger than the iPad Air, why not just buy a MBA?

Let's reverse the question: if you need a 13 inch screen why not use a iPad pro instead of a MacBook?
  • Reply 58 of 115
    vman815 wrote: »
    Oh great! Now there'll be an even LARGER glass surface I'll have to constantly wipe fingerprints off of.

Quick word of advice: Don't eat KFC or BBQ while using your iPad...
  • Reply 59 of 115
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love how close-minded everyone in this thread is.

Clearly, you have no concept of what "close-minded" means.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But I'm willing to listen to what others think

• Reply 60 of 115
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Indeed.

The problem is that the iPad has to leave it at the app level - because it does not have an active digitizer built in.  If you look at tablets like the Surface Pro or drawing tablets that have an active digitizer, this is not the case.