Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quick word of advice: Don't eat KFC or BBQ while using your iPad...

Don't eat KFC.
  • Reply 62 of 115
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    gumbi wrote: »
    That's probably true of a lot of tablets that like the iPad don't have an active digitizer built in - however, writing/drawing with a  pen on my surface is awesome.  Wacom digitizer with palm blocking....

I haven't tried it out on the Pro 3 yet - I still have a first gen pro - but, apparently writing on that is even more natural due to the screen tech.  Much less latency.

Wow, you sure don't know what you are talking about. Look up digitizer ...
    And by the way palm recognition works perfectly fine on the iPad.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by vman815 View Post

Oh great! Now there'll be an even LARGER glass surface I'll have to constantly wipe fingerprints off of.

Well, that settles it. This is a terrible idea and Apple should scrap it immediately.

• Reply 64 of 115
    knowitall wrote: »
    Wow, you sure don't know what you are talking about. Look up digitizer ...
    And by the way palm recognition works perfectly fine on the iPad.

What doesn't he know. He seems to know his Surface has a digitizer and the iPad doesn't.
  • Reply 65 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

A large IPad is total since, if it's goal is to replace laptops, laptop size screens help.

Nothing is going to replace my rMBP. If you are trying to replace a notebook with an iPad, you'll need a keyboard for starters. Then you just have a crappy notebook that can also be used as a tablet with a slightly better camera, but you still don't have a file system, external i/o interfaces, a mouse or lots of ram, more powerful graphics, overlapping resizable windows, and a ton of other powerful stuff. All you get is a cheaper price and onscreen touch capabilities. I don't understand why people would want to replace a nice Mac notebook with an iPad unless they are just really cheap or don't have very demanding computing requirements. The portability would be about the same once the iPad grows to 12-13". The walled garden on the iPad is an advantage for novice users but a nuisance for power users.

• Reply 66 of 115

Ok right.  Here we go again.  Apple is going to SURFACE a 12.9 inch ginormous iPad.  :)  Let's see:

1. It will be the one device that can replace your iPad and your Mac.  

2. It will have a keyboard, a thunderbolt interface to external devices, a USB 3.0 connector.

3. It will have a retina display.

4. It will have a new touch-enabled operating system. 

Think I've seen this movie before.

• Reply 67 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

.... The walled garden on the iPad is an advantage for novice users but a nuisance for power users.

The walled garden can be an advantage for experience people as well

• Reply 68 of 115
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

If you need larger than the iPad Air, why not just buy a MBA?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Why the hell would I want a MBA? 

A MBA is useless for a person who wants an iPad.

For those who remember....I just had to:

• Reply 69 of 115
    I'm drooling over the prospect of an iPad Pro. As an Ex-pat Oil & Gas industry Engineer, who frequently spends 4-6 hours/ day in the field, this would be an absolute boon to us. Instead of carrying a sheaf of outdated A3 or 11x17 prints, smudged, torn, sweat, and rained on, a larger iPad in an impervious case (may be even Intrinsically Safe?) would be of huge and immediate benefit in our business. And already being bleeding edge "geeks of the 1st generation" i.e. 55 , & well-heeled they'd be snapped up in a flash. But since we also work ing the armpits of the world, no iCloud for us. Gimme 1TB of Storage for our massive files, including 3-D walk thru models.... it would be truly transformative for our industry. And our bretheren in the cockpits now using 9.7 inch iPads as EFB's guess what? Moving on up!
  • Reply 70 of 115
    makeintosh wrote: »
    Ok right.  Here we go again.  Apple is going to SURFACE a 12.9 inch ginormous iPad.  :)  Let's see:

2. It will have a keyboard, a thunderbolt interface to external devices, a USB 3.0 connector.
    4. It will have a new touch-enabled operating system.<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>

How did you get to those numbered points from a rumour of a 12" iPad?
  • Reply 71 of 115
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I’ve been waiting for this for nearly eight years. Here’s one place a larger screen can only be better.

So you don’t know what a tablet is, then.

If they can manage to make one that is light enough I am buyer. But i also want a 5.5" phone so what do I know.... :p
  • Reply 72 of 115

I suppose the 13-inch iPad is made possible by a sapphire screen which would provide great scratch resistance. The way I see it, a very thin layer of sapphire bonded to a durable substrate would be able to withstand the flexing that would undoubtedly accompany a pad of this size and thinness, while still maintaining a scratch-free face.

"Oh God, please let it not come with a kickstand."

• Reply 73 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makeintosh View Post

4. It will have a new touch-enabled operating system. 

You forgot:

5. Wearable.  (I can't fathom how, but we were promised wearable tech, gosh-darn-it!)  Maybe it comes with both a wrist-band *and* cellular service!!!!!!

• Reply 74 of 115
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Choice is always good, within reason, but I'm hard pressed to see how for myself something larger than my iPad Air would be good for me.

For work, yes. Reports about Surface Pro 3 (12" screen) being much nicer for work than Surface Pro 2 (10") are quite common. This might work well with Apple-IBM business-centric initiative. For home use, don't know... I basically agree with you, 10"-ish seem to be about right size for most scenarios. In my experience, if I really need more real-estate, I usually need more complex software too, which kind of makes laptop or desktop better solution in general.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    nikon133 wrote: »
    For work, yes. Reports about Surface Pro 3 (12" screen) being much nicer for work than Surface Pro 2 (10") are quite common. This might work well with Apple-IBM business-centric initiative. For home use, don't know... I basically agree with you, 10"-ish seem to be about right size for most scenarios. In my experience, if I really need more real-estate, I usually need more complex software too, which kind of makes laptop or desktop better solution in general.

If it's your primary (or only) computing device at home I'd think the 12" would be very appealing. Me, I'm sure I'll buy another iPad but I'm not sure I'll ever need one. I've never really needed one to date, but my usage habits are very different from the average consumer.
  • Reply 76 of 115
    mstone wrote: »
    A large IPad is total since, if it's goal is to replace laptops, laptop size screens help.
    Nothing is going to replace my rMBP. If you are trying to replace a notebook with an iPad, you'll need a keyboard for starters. Then you just have a crappy notebook that can also be used as a tablet with a slightly better camera, but you still don't have a file system, external i/o interfaces, a mouse or lots of ram, more powerful graphics, overlapping resizable windows, and a ton of other powerful stuff. All you get is a cheaper price and onscreen touch capabilities. I don't understand why people would want to replace a nice Mac notebook with an iPad unless they are just really cheap or don't have very demanding computing requirements. The portability would be about the same once the iPad grows to 12-13". The walled garden on the iPad is an advantage for novice users but a nuisance for power users.

Oh please.

NEWSFLASH: the iPad isn't a laptop. You're still allowed to use both.

Dinosaurs like you hunger for an iPad with a built-in floppy drive. Why not go the whole hog and demand a VHS player as well?

A mouse?!! Lol! Are you Steve Ballmer?

Yeah, the walled garden of a million apps is a real hindrance compared to the handful on the Mac.

Power users? Tell that to Tim Cook, who does 80% of his work on an iPad. Tell that to David Hockney, who had an exhibition of paintings created entirely on the iPad at the Royal Academy, London.
  • Reply 77 of 115
    herbapou wrote: »
    I’ve been waiting for this for nearly eight years. Here’s one place a larger screen can only be better.

So you don’t know what a tablet is, then.

If they can manage to make one that is light enough I am buyer. But i also want a 5.5" phone so what do I know.... :p

I’ll tell you what you are: you're an Israelite and a Philistine. ????
  • Reply 78 of 115
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'd buy one right away!

To the people saying that this is useless. No it's not. Your comment is what's useless and you are dead wrong.

Plenty of people will buy an iPad 12.9". I already have the mini and the retina, so bring on the iPad Pro or whatever the hell it's going to be called! 

A lot of the things that people do on an iPad would be enhanced and become more enjoyable by having a larger display. 

I don't give a crap if it costs $1000 to start, make it powerful, make it extra large and make it sexy! Tons of people will be buying the 12.9" iPad!

You buy anything released by Apple, Inc. and then try to come up with ridiculous excuses as you why you think something would be so popular, but you are wrong most of the time.  The iPad mini outsold the iPad because people wanted a tablet that was smaller and lighter, not larger and heavier.  Suddenly the iPad Air was based off the mini to make it smaller and lighter because that is what a tablet should be.  An iPad 12.9" would be too large and too heavy, and that is not the way Apple works.  This rumor is probably based off the rumor of a MacBook Air 12" to replace the 11" and 13" models.  Most people would give a crap if an oversized tablet cost $1,000 to start, which in Apple terms is a 16GB iPad.  Apple likes to retain the same resolution for all iPads to make app development easier.  (The original iPad is on its way out soon enough and the iPad 2 is already gone).  If Apple retained the same resolution for a 12.9" display, the pixel density would drop below 300 and they would not be able to call it a "retina" display.  If they come up with another resolution, then app developers would have to re-write their apps again.

• Reply 79 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Do you suffer from ADHD? Apparently any post longer than a few words leaves you completely confusded. It was the post I was replying to that suggested that a larger iPad might be an attempted replacement for a notebook. I'm pretty sure the original poster was expressing doubts  and I'm certain I was not advocating such a strategy, so yes, if you want an iPad buy one, but not to replace a notebook. As far as your other insults are concerned it only demonstrates that you have no wit, no cleverness, no class, and no intelligence. Keep it up Ben you are making more and more  friends and allies with every post. Again you have no idea who you are calling names and insulting. 

• Reply 80 of 115
    mstone wrote: »

Do you suffer from ADHD? Apparently any post longer than a few words leaves you completely confusded. It was the post I was replying to that suggested that a larger iPad might be an attempted replacement for a notebook. I'm pretty sure the original poster was expressing doubts  and I'm certain I was not advocating such a strategy, so yes, if you want an iPad buy one, but not to replace a notebook. As far as your other insults are concerned it only demonstrates that you have no wit, no cleverness, no class, and no intelligence. Keep it up Ben you are making more and more  friends and allies with every post. Again you have no idea who you are calling names and insulting. 

Lol! Your self-righteousness is too much. I guess your problem is that once you get on a horse that high, you can't get off.