Instagram's new Hyperlapse app simplifies timelapses, Square's Cash 2.0 allows transfers to all via

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Facebook's Instagram launched a new application on Tuesday dubbed Hyperlapse, which allows users to quickly shoot polished time-lapse videos. In addition, Square updated its Cash app for iOS to version 2.0, bringing a host of new features including transferring cash to any number over text message and address book importing.

Instagram's Hyperlapse

The all-new Hyperlapse from Instagram is a free download on the iOS App Store, allowing users to shoot timelapses while walking, running, jumping or falling. The app uses Instagram's in-house stabilization technology, which the company says results in timelapses that would be otherwise impossible without "bulky tripods and expensive equipment."

Hyperlapse instantly stabilizes footage to smooth out any bumps and help give the clip a cinematic feeling. Footage recorded can be sped up to play back up to 12 times faster, and of course the clips can be easily shared on Instagram and Facebook.

Users who download the app can start filming immediately. Not only does the software come with a design that allows for quick capture, but using it also does not require signing up for an account.

Hyperlapse from Instagram is available for both iPhone and iPad. It's a 10.9-megabyte download that requires iOS 7.0 or later.

Square's Cash hits 2.0

Cash, the app from online transaction handler Square, was updated to version 2.0 on Tuesday. The app allows users to quickly send cash between mobile devices via text message or email with no fees.

Version 2.0 allows users to send cash to any mobile number via text message. It also has a faster, optimized sending interface, and users can import their address book for quick contact selection.

Cash 2.0 also gives the ability to add a note to a payment, and users can now select a profile picture. Alerts can be sent via push notification, text message or email.

Remaining features spotlighted by Square are:
  • Manage all of your email addresses and phone numbers in one place.
  • Quickly approve incoming requests from a push notification or text message.
  • Invite friends via text message and get $1 when they join.
The latest version of Cash is a free 9.8-megabyte download that requires iOS 6.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I might consider it if it had standalone use (no Instagram integration). The results look pretty solid.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    big update for square Cash. in general i like the system, hopefully theyve ironed out some of the difficulty in enrolling.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Call me old-fashioned, but given all the security goings-on, I am loathe to leave my debit card details with anyone, let alone a startup. (The only place where I leave even my credit card on file is with Apple.)

If there was a way for them to allow me to do this as a 'guest' or by creating a temporary transfer mechanism where I could transfer the required sum on to some sort of Square 'holding account', I would sign up.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Vaguely wondering if it's based on Microsoft's hyperlapse:
  • Reply 5 of 12
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Tried it. Works perfectly. UI couldn't be better. 

• Reply 6 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    AI had an article on time-lapse video coming to iOS8, but no one responded:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/180550/ios-8-first-look-video-time-lapse-mode-in-apples-updated-camera-app
    edit, the thread before it, 180549 is the correct one:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/180549/ios-8-first-look-video-time-lapse-mode-in-apples-updated-camera-app
    Strange that AI doesn't clean these things up.

Here's a cool time lapse video of Space Shuttle Endeavor's final ride, thanks to [@]Bergermeister[/@]:

[VIDEO]

[@]Relic[/@] posted this handy $30 tool:
    http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/camalapse/

I might consider it if it had standalone use (no Instagram integration). The results look pretty solid.

The app seems to be a standalone one. It's also in the bullit points:

"* Share your videos seamlessly on Instagram and Facebook or save them to your camera roll to share anywhere, anytime."
    Vaguely wondering if it's based on Microsoft's hyperlapse:

That has indeed been discussed earlier, but I can't find the thread. It was about tech developed by MS, making time-lapse smoooooooth.
    Found on YT:

[VIDEO]

Many articles on this MS tech:
    http://www.newsfiber.com/p/s/h?v=EgqiNyMQUP5A=+9gLbf7p1aLw=

clemynx wrote: »
    Tried it. Works perfectly. UI couldn't be better. 

That says quite a lot to me, as this is Facebook after all. I think that app sorely lacks any design principles. I don't use it myself, but seen it and I think it's clunky. That said, you should give the app a thumbs up on iTunes, though perhaps you already have.

Does it only work in portrait orientation? Because that's the only way it is shown on the Store.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    [@]PhilBoogie[/@]

I brought the Microsoft Hyperlapse research up in a reply to Relic a couple of weeks ago in response to the Microsoft 3.0 tablet thread.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181770/microsoft-says-surface-pro-3-more-powerful-flexible-than-macbook-air-in-latest-ads/120#post_2578303]My post[/URL] mentioned how I thought Microsoft had a lot of talented engineers, but don't seem to know what to do with their discoveries and research.

John Gruber, Daring Fireball published a link to an [URL=http://www.wired.com/2014/08/hyperlapse-instagrams-new-app-is-like-a-15000-video-setup-in-your-hand/]expose by Wired[/URL] of the lead developer of Hyperlapse for Instagram, Thomas Dimson.

[I]By 2013, Dimson was at Instagram. That put him back in touch with Alex Karpenko, a friend from Stanford who had sold his start-up to Instagram in 2013. Karpenko and his firm, Luma, had created the first-ever image-stabilization technology for smartphone videos.[/I]

So it appears that Microsoft once again is not only late to the party, but going off on tangents, or trying to do things the hard way by developing something proprietary rather than licensing themselves(?). All research is good research IF you can afford it and have the time to wait for it to mature and get it into products. However in mobile, I'm not seeing that they have a lot of time left... not because of Apple, but due to Google and Amazon seriously encroaching on their "cash cow" farm.

Speaking of "farms", not to diss on Seattle, Redmond and the PNW and its great quality of life... but I'm wondering if Microsoft's being up "in the woods" and out of the Silicon Valley loop so to speak, isn't starting to become a liability(?)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    And now it makes sense why tons of Android virus like to send SMS secretly.
    It will be fun to watch the "bright" mind of San Francisco get hacked by some Nigerians use their product to get money without asking people to Western Union.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    And now it makes sense why tons of Android virus like to send SMS secretly.
    It will be fun to watch the "bright" mind of San Francisco get hacked by some Nigerians use their product to get money without asking people to Western Union.

Funny, but I didn't see any mention of a Android version.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

I brought the Microsoft Hyperlapse research up in a reply to Relic a couple of weeks ago in response to the Microsoft 3.0 tablet thread.

BIG thanks for that link. And yes, I agree on your view on MS, it has become a pattern with them. And lol, it may very well be the location. A beautiful state, no doubt, but I think these employees may star in "Twin Peaks - the Sequel" since they must be good at what they do, but are being held back by piss poor management. Hence, everything is double in Redmond.

Still, love David Lynch. And the series is finally available on Blue Ray, should you want to do a re-run after 20 years.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    philboogie wrote: »

Still, love David Lynch. And the series is finally available on Blue Ray, should you want to do a re-run after 20 years.

Thanks for the reminder! I've been meaning to look into getting the entire series for awhile now.

I remember seeing a few of the episodes here in Germany in the mid 90's, but my German was still very (very!) elementary and I lost interest.

In just about all cases in regards to cinema, I personally prefer original language and subs rather than dubbing. The thought just occurred to me that it's possible I saw a show or 2 actually while on holiday in Texel(?) My girlfriend had relations there with a gorgeously restored thatched farmhouse that we were able to enjoy a couple of times a year, not too far outside Den Burg.

Woah! My "Wayback Time Machine" (i.e. memory) is over-heating! :smokey: