Rumored circular True Tone flash for 4.7" and 5.5" 'iPhone 6' detailed in new photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Seemingly confirming ongoing rumors that Apple's next iPhone will feature a redesigned 'True Tone' flash unit, an electronics wholesaler on Tuesday published high-resolution pictures of circular dual-LED flash assemblies supposedly bound for both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" models.

Purported 'iPhone 6' True Tone flash for 4.7-inch (left) and 5.5-inch versions.

Following up on a parts "leak" earlier on Tuesday, Chinese smartphone repair company ElekWorld posted pictures of newly stocked parts, including purported "iPhone 6" power flex cables with round multi-colored flash assemblies.

Offered in both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch variations, both cables feature what appears to be a dual-LED flash assembly with "cool" and "warm" tints, a hallmark of Apple's branded True Tone technology.

Further, the round flash lines up with a series of purportedly leaked iPhone 6 rear shells, each featuring a round hole for the rear camera's flash unit. It was previously speculated that the circular opening was merely a placeholder for what would ultimately house the familiar pill-shaped port seen in the iPhone 5s.

Also worth noting is the location of the sleep/wake actuator, which resides on one end of the flex cable, opposite a low-profile connector. Judging by the positioning in relation to the flash unit, the button could be side-mounted as rumored in multiple reports. An identical component for the rumored 4.7-inch next-gen iPhone was seen amid a cache of purportedly leaked parts earlier this month.

Apple first introduced the True Tone flash with the iPhone 5s last year, saying the dual-LED setup helps even out color temperatures in low-light situations for more natural looking photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Son Of a Gun - a 5.5 rumor -
  • Reply 2 of 28
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Glad to see this, when I first saw the circular flash leaked, I had some concernthat the True Tone flash was going away. True Tone flash is outstanding, took a few pics of my kids the other day in not so great lighting and the results were terrific.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I think this is a good counterexample for the people who are always accusing Apple of following "form over function". They wanted a two-tone flash, discovered the devices just weren't available to do it all-in-one, and brought it out anyway, despite the inelegant appearance of the pill-shaped hole. Then, they worked on getting it into more Apple-like form.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Hmm. Sorta surprised to see two separate designs for a component like this. But I'm no electronics engineer.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I think this is a good counterexample for the people who are always accusing Apple of following "form over function". They wanted a two-tone flash, discovered the devices just weren't available to do it all-in-one, and brought it out anyway, despite the inelegant appearance of the pill-shaped hole. Then, they worked on getting it into more Apple-like form.

I personally find neither pill not circular shaped any more appealing than the other. Just my preference. Hope the flash stays just as good.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    5.5", the beast.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Hmm. Sorta surprised to see two separate designs for a component like this. But I'm no electronics engineer.

The two designs look to be primarily related to the actuator button being lower down the side of one device than the other, and making room for a slightly different configuration of other internals between the two versions. 

• Reply 8 of 28
    4.7 or 5.5... Decisions decisions... Common sept 9
  • Reply 9 of 28
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

This must mean that sog35 does exist!

• Reply 10 of 28
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    allenbf wrote: »
    When I first saw the circular flash leaked, I had some concernthat the True Tone flash was going away.

That's funny. When I saw the circular shape my instinct was "oh cool they've redesigned true tone into a single bulb instead of using two separate bulbs".
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Called it.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Maybe Apple should put stereo flash lamps into the new iPhone to keep up with HTC. /s
  • Reply 13 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    boredumb wrote: »
    This must mean that sog35 does exist!

He should create a new user account, Son Of a Gun 5.5, SOG5.5 for short.

And then have a chuckle if the 5.5" device doesn't have cellular capability, making that iPod a VoIP device.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Called it.
    Double called it.

Lol

Saw many people fearing it (true tone) wasn't going to be there or that the circle was a "place holder" for the bill shaped true tone....my first thought was, "why can't true tone be circular?"

Lol

I mean, they can create magic ...why should we doubt their ability to make a light circular.

Touch ID is much more complicated than that.

Bottom line, the pill shape doesn't look right next to the circular lens of the camera and probably aesthetically bother the Ish out of Ive. Lol
  • Reply 15 of 28
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

4.7 or 5.5... Decisions decisions... Common sept 9

Which color and capacity will you choose to buy?

• Reply 16 of 28

If there is difference of processor between iPhone 6 4.7" and iPhone 5.5" so i will go with 5.5", and there will no difference so i will go with 4.7" iPhone 6.

• Reply 17 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    herbapou wrote: »
    5.5", the beast.

Pocket test at 7:50 of the 5.5" Note 2 vs current iPhone:

[VIDEO]

The following review mentions the need to have a smaller phone anyway for nights out and the gym:

http://allthingsd.com/20121029/dear-samsungs-galaxy-note-ii-its-not-you-its-me/

That's the problem with convergence devices is they don't do the job of either device well enough. A phablet can't replace a small phone because it's not manageable in every scenario and it can't replace a tablet because it's too small.

A 5.5" iPhone would sell a fraction of the units of the 5C and be considered a failure so why bother? They can always discontinue it once they find this out of course.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

That's funny. When I saw the circular shape my instinct was "oh cool they've redesigned true tone into a single bulb instead of using two separate bulbs".

ok.

• Reply 19 of 28
    Marvin wrote: »
    herbapou wrote: »
    5.5", the beast.

Pocket test at 7:50 of the 5.5" Note 2 vs current iPhone:

[VIDEO]

The following review mentions the need to have a smaller phone anyway for nights out and the gym:

http://allthingsd.com/20121029/dear-samsungs-galaxy-note-ii-its-not-you-its-me/

That's the problem with convergence devices is they don't do the job of either device well enough. A phablet can't replace a small phone because it's not manageable in every scenario and it can't replace a tablet because it's too small.

A 5.5" iPhone would sell a fraction of the units of the 5C and be considered a failure so why bother? They can always discontinue it once they find this out of course.

I agree with everything you say.

I would only add that, in a sense, the iPad is the ultimate convergence device. But the phablet and the laplet (ie Surface) are both trying to combine the tablet with another form-factor and failing, in my opinion.
  • Reply 20 of 28

Absolutely disgusting. They explicitly say that it’s too big and then make excuses for it?! YOU, the CONSUMER, are for whom THEY are to make excuses! And then products you could actually want or use! These people are insane.