My Assassination Attempt

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As some of you know I've been talking about murdering my PC. Well, the plan has begun.

It's a PII 300, bought 3 1/2 years ago. I've had it running 24/7 since then, never shutting it down or using any energy saving techniques. The hard drive has been spinning for 3.5 years now and hasn't failed (damn!)

I am going to try and kill it, without leaving any really obvious evidence of the action. I plan on replacing it with an iMac - possibly a CRT model on the cheap, or maybe an LCD - haven't decided yet. (this would be besides the one I have already ordered for myself - this PC is in the office)

Anyway, I've been toying with it a little since yesterday. I've duct taped all the vents closed, and keep running the hell out of it. I have Unreal running, a copied 500 MB folder pasted into 8 new folders simultaneously, and Real Jukebox running. Once the copying is over, I delete the folders (8 is all my hard drive has room for), empty the trash, defragment, start again...

(I have no real processor using software for the PC besides these)

Just torturing it a little. I though I'd see some signs of strain by now, as it's getting rather toasty to the touch, but haven't yet. Any thoughts on when this pig might give up and die?

Any other little ideas from the crowd? I'd rather not do something immediate like pour water on the motherboard... I'm going to try and enjoy witnessing this death. It's never had any real failures, but enough data losing crashes to deserve it's fate.

If I keep this up, I wonder how long it'll take to overheat and die. It's had no ventilation at all for 16 hours now.

Well, actually I shouldn't say no signs at all... it is starting to smell a little funny.

Who wants to make a guess at the time of death?

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Put the PC next to a microwave, and use equipment that causes power surges.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    hey man, I would have gladly taken the PC off your hands.

oh well. have fun destroying it
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Just make sure you don't create a fire hazard.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Why don't you pick up a few hundred bucks for it on ebay or something rather than destryoing it? You could use the money towards your new iMac or some accessories for it.

And if you want to run the processor 100% at least do something useful for society like searching for a <a href="http://members.ud.com/download/gold/"; target="_blank">cure for cancer. </a>

If that doesn't suit you, try searching for alien life using <a href="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/"; target="_blank">Seti@home</a>, crack encryption with <a href="http://www.distributed.net"; target="_blank">RC5</a>, search for primes (and win $100,000) with <a href="http://www.mersenne.org/"; target="_blank">GIMPS</a>, help <a href="http://fah.stanford.edu"; target="_blank">Folding@home</a> or <a href="http://gah.stanford.edu"; target="_blank">Genome@home</a> from standford research genome sciences and protein folding in order to cure many of the diseases afflicting our world.

Hell give your PC away to a needy school or organization.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>hey man, I would have gladly taken the PC off your hands.

oh well. have fun destroying it </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I thought about giving it away, but it's the only way I can get it replaced unfortunately.

Or...... if I could somehow fake it's death long enough to get it replaced... then somehow magically find a cheap part from someone who was throwing a PC out to fix it...

hey, that just might work...

Maybe I'll take the tape off long enough to think this over again....

hmmm.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I think you should kill it. Give us photos if anything dramatic happens, please!

Amorya
  • Reply 7 of 39
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I really wanna see pics of this!
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Kill it! Do not increase the PC market share by giving it away!
  • Reply 9 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Kill it! Do not increase the PC market share by giving it away! </strong><hr></blockquote>

1.) how would market share increase?

2.) it's a PC. get over it. many people may find it useful.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Kill it!

I know what to do,

1) Get a long sturdy rope.

2) Attach one end to a car.

3) Attach one end to the PC

4) Drive Quickly!

• Reply 11 of 39
    Try installing Windows 95 on it--that seemed to ruin a whole lot of computers.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Kill it! Do not increase the PC market share by giving it away! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Considering murbot's ownded it and it's not like a person who buys it will be buying a new computer it won't increase marketshare.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>Try installing Windows 95 on it--that seemed to ruin a whole lot of computers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or better yet Windows ME.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    When I read the title of this thread, I was like "Man, this guy is going to be getting a visit from the secret service is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......"

But now, I think this is a great idea. I agree, please don't cause a fire. Innnocent things like particle board "U-assemble-it" desks might be injured, or even worse, you might burn up some paper.

Our lack of compassion for this thing is truly refreshing.

Some ideas:

1) Continue with your Duct Tape thing....though that may not do it.

2) Perhaps you could take do this: I know you said "no water"...but what if you let it cool overnight. Then, you could take the case off, and put a large block off ice on the heat sink. Then, seal the thing back up, put it in a place where it won't start a fire, then boot it up with that duct tape again......that should result in slow death as the ice mealts.

3) Or, this: Take the cover off....then, in a safe place, take one of those gas grill lighters and burn strategic things while it is running.

4) Or this: Overclock the CPU as far as possible.....i don't know how to do it , but it could be fun.

Perhaps just boot it up and beat the living shit out of it with a hammer. I once had to "remove" a couch this way because it wouldn't fit back up the stairs it came down....believe that or not. It was most theraputic.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 39
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>When I read the title of this thread, I was like "Man, this guy is going to be getting a visit from the secret service is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......"</strong><hr></blockquote>Hah, I was just going to post the same thing.

I'm wondering if carnivore is beeping and buzzing at the NSA right now.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    While all the "kill it" ideas WOULD be very fun, I'm afraid I can't do that. It's got to look like an accident.

I'll stick with the tape thing for a few days and see what happens... Hasn't bombed yet - I guess a PII isn't much of a heat factory - it's not like there's any real processing power there!

I'll put that ice cube trick in the back of my mind.

[quote]I'm wondering if carnivore is beeping and buzzing at the NSA right now.<hr></blockquote>

I was thinking the same thing... good thing I didn't name my PC "Bush". ;P

Oh shit, now it's really going to be beeping.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 39
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Can you send it to me? I'll gladly take it.

Or you could part it out and sell it on Agora or something...you could pick up a few bux that way.

Killing it may be fun, but I'd rather make some spare cash...wouldn't you?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Try this- scratch one single lead on the motherboard- it will look like an accident, but we will know better.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Scuff your feet around on shaggy old carpet with socks on and then poke the motherboard in different places.

Could hurt though.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    I would do everything youve been doing, but without a heatsink on the cpu. Thatll kill it fast.