Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    hillstones wrote: »
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/181981/rumor-apples-jumbo-sized-12-9-inch-ipad-in-the-works-for-early-2015-debut#post_2584721"]

I'd buy one right away!

To the people saying that this is useless. No it's not. Your comment is what's useless and you are dead wrong.

Plenty of people will buy an iPad 12.9". I already have the mini and the retina, so bring on the iPad Pro or whatever the hell it's going to be called! 

A lot of the things that people do on an iPad would be enhanced and become more enjoyable by having a larger display. 

I don't give a crap if it costs $1000 to start, make it powerful, make it extra large and make it sexy! Tons of people will be buying the 12.9" iPad!
    You buy anything released by Apple, Inc. and then try to come up with ridiculous excuses as you why you think something would be so popular, but you are wrong most of the time.  The iPad mini outsold the iPad because people wanted a tablet that was smaller and lighter, not larger and heavier.  Suddenly the iPad Air was based off the mini to make it smaller and lighter because that is what a tablet should be.  An iPad 12.9" would be too large and too heavy, and that is not the way Apple works.  This rumor is probably based off the rumor of a MacBook Air 12" to replace the 11" and 13" models.  Most people would give a crap if an oversized tablet cost $1,000 to start, which in Apple terms is a 16GB iPad.  Apple likes to retain the same resolution for all iPads to make app development easier.  (The original iPad is on its way out soon enough and the iPad 2 is already gone).  If Apple retained the same resolution for a 12.9" display, the pixel density would drop below 300 and they would not be able to call it a "retina" display.  If they come up with another resolution, then app developers would have to re-write their apps again.

You have no proof that the iPad mini outsold the large iPad, as Apple have never released figures.

The iPad 2 is still supported in iOS 8, which is pretty amazing—that's at least four years of OS updates. How many Android tablets from 2011 will be supported in 2015?

Your comments about the iPad Air being reduced in weight because of the iPad mini make no sense. Apple were always going to reduce the weight and thickness of the iPad, regardless of the mini. Apple created a unified design for both models. If Apple can get a 13" iPad close to 1.5 lbs, the weight of the iPad 2, that would be acceptable for most people, I am sure.
  • Reply 82 of 115
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm waiting for sog35 to say how this proves there will be a 5.5" iPhone.

I wouldn't be surprised if by now he says it in his sleep.
  • Reply 83 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Lol! Your self-righteousness is too much. I guess your problem is that once you get on a horse that high, you can't get off.

You talk big but I bet you live in a tiny little room with your squirming little thoughts, wishing that you had some friends or respect. It is so clear even sog can see it.

• Reply 84 of 115
    mstone wrote: »
    Lol! Your self-righteousness is too much. I guess your problem is that once you get on a horse that high, you can't get off.
    You talk big but I bet you live in a tiny little room with your squirming little thoughts, wishing that you had some friends or respect. It is so clear even sog can see it.

You're reduced to such pettiness?

Grow up.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    At this point there is zero communication between you two that is moving the conversation forward and I don't think that's possible now for this thread.
  • Reply 86 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're reduced to such pettiness?

Grow up.

Ha ha!.

Why do we know nothing about you, especially compared to the transparency of the long time posters.

Soli: entrepreneur and network admin

Mel: advertising agency, media expert

Digitalclips: entrepreneur computer sales, video expert

Lorin: Audio engineer

Gator: digital printing and technology expert

Dick: Apple authorized retail store, IBM and other

mstone: medical software engineer and entrepreneur

I'm not forgetting anyone...there are just many, many others who have shared their expertise

Let's see what you have. What is your story? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Reply 87 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But I'm willing to listen to what others think the advantage might be-

One right off the top of my head would be touch controller for desktop apps -- a touchpad on steroids. It could serve the role of second monitor for floating toolbars and inspector windows with the benefit of being controlled by touch with the free hand. Making it bigger makes it easier to select a specific tool or entry field. The existing iPad is already often used to present virtual faders for mixing sound -- a bigger screen would be even better for that application.

Then there's video editing. With tools, bins, video display(s) and timeline, a video edit session is a pretty screen-intensive space. Trying to select a point with a fat finger and make out details in a quarter-screen video window can be a challenge. Those who are inclined to subject themselves to editing on a tablet rather than a laptop, for reasons I don't begin to understand, would be better served by a larger display. The resolution wouldn't even have to increase -- just being physically bigger would solve the most serious "interface" issues.

• Reply 88 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiamenbill View Post

Gimme 1TB of Storage for our massive files, including 3-D walk thru models....

Does an iPad have sufficient graphics horsepower for applications like this?

• Reply 89 of 115
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I just can't see this happening.  If you need larger than the iPad Air, why not just buy a MBA?

We've had seven years to get the point of the multitouch interface. Four years to get the point of making it larger than the iPhone or iPod touch. Three years to figure out that even a mini form factor can be a more popular piece of responsive glass in your hands. An even larger piece of interactive glass than the iPad in your hands or in your lap will also be screamingly popular, making a fool of those who said "it's just a big" this or that.

That there is no keyboard in the way is also the whole point. Mind your form factors. They are everything, and the reason that Apple gets it and Microsoft doesn't.
  • Reply 90 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

That there is no keyboard in the way is also the whole point. Mind your form factors. They are everything, and the reason that Apple gets it and Microsoft doesn't.

I have yet to be convinced that a fat finger is superior to a pixel perfect mouse pointer. Touch is a mobile convenience not the the future of computing.

• Reply 91 of 115
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I have yet to be convinced that a fat finger is superior to a pixel perfect mouse pointer. Touch is a mobile convenience not the the future of computing.

That's exactly right. If you need precision, you use a mouse or a trackpad, a desktop or a laptop, in other words. If you need or want to be on a computer at any or all times, including standing in line or sitting just about anywhere, then the tablet is a great liberator.

But I think it's more than a convenience. It means you can use hours more a day learning things, which to me is the whole point of this technology. Well, plus a little more communication.

Still the point is use cases matched with form factors. This is what Steve Jobs was so good at, and the primary lesson we can learn from Apple, and which other companies still don't always get. Even Apple misses once in a while.
  • Reply 92 of 115
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You buy anything released by Apple, Inc. and then try to come up with ridiculous excuses as you why you think something would be so popular, but you are wrong most of the time.  

That is clearly a false and delusional statement.

I do not buy anything released by Apple, as there are quite a few Apple products that I do not own.

And no, I am not wrong most of the time, I am more often correct than not. My post history speaks for itself.

As a matter of fact, I will bet that you are dead wrong, and that I am 100% correct on this topic. The iPad Pro would be great, and would also be a success, if it were to be released.

• Reply 93 of 115
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was using a painting app on the iPad recently, and I get pixel perfect precision using my fingers. 

I like how you can keep zooming in and out while painting, and the more you zoom, the greater the precision becomes.

I haven't even touched a mouse in years. Mice are obsolete as far as I'm concerned. When I use OS X, I use magic trackpads.

• Reply 94 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Does an iPad have sufficient graphics horsepower for applications like this?

Why not? The A8 is going to make the Xbone and PS4 look over their shoulders nervously. They’re pathetic when compared to a PC, but ARM is progressing faster than nVidia and ATI can crank out GPUs.

• Reply 95 of 115

I deleted my post.

• Reply 96 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by terribly View Post

I predict Apple starts to use S-M-L-XL for their device lines, from phone to tablets to laptops... if they keep expanding the product line, it makes sense to help simplify how to differentiate and market their products. Different sizes for different people, different lives and different thinking.

Besides, it would be a cool insider joke on the Rem Koolhaas and Bruce Mau S-M-L-XL book.

From a previous post of mine:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

This year the iPhone…

• 4 will be dropped entirely.

• 4S (3.5") with 4GB storage replaces the 4 as the "developing markets" phone.

• 5C (4.0") will continue with Touch ID and two new patterned backsides - flowers and blue with white polka dots.

• 5S (4.0") will continue with minor updates.

• 6 (4.7") as rumored.

• 6L (5.5") as rumored.

Next year the iPhone…

• 6S (4.0") will have  performance and feature upgrades in the same style as the original 6 and replace both the 4 and 5 series.

• 6M (4.7") will have performance and feature upgrades and replace the 6.

• 6L (5.5") will continue with minor performance and feature upgrades.

• The entire iPad line will get cell phone capability and get the designations XL, XXL, and XXXL.? (emphasis added)

/S

• Reply 97 of 115
    flaneur wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/181981/rumor-apples-jumbo-sized-12-9-inch-ipad-in-the-works-for-early-2015-debut#post_2584690 layout=inline]That there is no keyboard in the way is also the whole point. Mind your form factors. They are everything, and the reason that Apple gets it and Microsoft doesn't.[/CONTENTEMBED]

No surprise to see you spouting complete nonsense once again.

Touch is the future of computing and it's already arrived. The desktop was reduced to a truck some while ago. For most people, their iPhone and iPad are their main or only computers, Tim Cook included.

As to your redundant 'fat fingers' reference: if you're struggling with a touch-screen, lose some weight.

Truly, you are the Windows everyman of AI.
  • Reply 98 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

we have a mini....

So would this be a MAXI....Ipad...

MaxIpad?

flashbacks of the original iPad release

• Reply 99 of 115

I would LOVE a large iPad. I have a mini for browsing, reading some books, apps, etc (Pinterest is far better on an iPad than the computer, IMO), and I would definitely get the large one to complement it. No, it wouldn't replace my 13" Macbook Pro, but I wouldn't want it to. It would be perfect for drawing (I love the Paper app and they sell a great stylus that they say will be pressure responsive when iOS 8 comes out), and I'd read magazines and put cookbooks with lots of photos on it. It would be awesome for textbooks and taking notes/drawing all over PDFs in OneNote. That would be perfect for students. I could think of a lot of ways to use it, so I hope it becomes a reality.

Yes, I have cookbooks/magazines on my Mini, but the bigger screen would be much better for that, IMO. Especially when I'm in the kitchen and using it.

• Reply 100 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xSerenityx View Post

I would LOVE a large iPad. I have a mini for browsing, reading some books, apps, etc (Pinterest is far better on an iPad than the computer, IMO), and I would definitely get the large one to complement it. No, it wouldn't replace my 13" Macbook Pro, but I wouldn't want it to. It would be perfect for drawing (I love the Paper app and they sell a great stylus that they say will be pressure responsive when iOS 8 comes out), and I'd read magazines and put cookbooks with lots of photos on it. It would be awesome for textbooks and taking notes/drawing all over PDFs in OneNote. That would be perfect for students. I could think of a lot of ways to use it, so I hope it becomes a reality.

Yes, I have cookbooks/magazines on my Mini, but the bigger screen would be much better for that, IMO. Especially when I'm in the kitchen and using it.

Great reasons.

Too many people get hung up on the idea of the iPad replacing a laptop, and rabbit on with wrong-headed comparisons. On a forum like this, there are bound to be a higher than normal number of people that place high demands on a laptop. For those, an iPad is a complement to a laptop. For most other people, it's a replacement.