Apple expected to unveil 'iWatch' alongside 'iPhone 6' at Sept. 9 event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2015
Apple's hotly anticipated "iWatch" may be introduced to the public sooner than expected, with a new report claiming the device will be formally unveiled at an anticipated Sept. 9 event, where the next-generation iPhone is also expected to debut.

iWatchiWatch concept by Todd Hamilton

The date was revealed on Wednesday by the well-connected John Paczkowski of Re/code, who referred to the device as a "new wearable" that will be worn on the user's wrist. He also reaffirmed claims that the device will tap into the new HealthKit and HomeKit functions of Apple's forthcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system update.

Paczkowski had previously reported in June that the "iWatch" event would be held in October, but said on Wednesday that plans appear to have changed recently. He still expects that the company will hold an October event, presumably to introduce its fall lineup of iPads.

"With its best product pipeline in 25 years, Apple should have more than enough hardware to fill two events," he said.

Previously, Apple pundit John Gruber had stirred up hope of a September event with an offhand comment he had made earlier this month, suggesting that a "wearable thing" from the company could debut before the much-hyped Motorola Moto 360 smart watch. But Gruber later clarified that his comments were intended as a "joke" and were not based on any inside information.

Paczkowski was also the first to report that Apple is planning a Sept. 9 event, where the company is expected to introduce its new iPhone lineup in two screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches. That date is still unconfirmed, however, as Apple typically waits until about one week before an event before sending invitations to members of the press.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.

Word of the September unveiling comes after a series of reports suggested that the wrist-worn device is facing production issues and could be delayed. Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities has said that Apple may be forced to delay the launch of the product until 2015.

Of course, a Sept. 9 unveiling could go either way: Apple could unveil the product but launch at a much later date --?as it did in 2013 when the Mac Pro launched more than six months after it was teased at the Worldwide Developers Conference. Or the company could be planning a September unveiling with plans to get the new device onto users' wrists in time for the holiday 2014 shopping season.

"iWatch" concept by Martin Hajek.

Apple's wrist-worn device is expected to focus on health and fitness tracking, measuring and analyzing a user's activity and heart rate and other bio-feedback. That data could be utilized by the new Health app found in iOS 8.

As for the "iWatch" hardware itself, little is known and thus far no parts have leaked. Some rumors have suggested Apple will utilize a flexible OLED display for a more form-fitting design, while some suspect the company could use sapphire to protect the screen from scratches.

Still other reports have claimed that Apple will offer the "iWatch" in two sizes, intended for both men and women. Kuo has said he believes Apple will utilize AMOLED touchscreens sized at 1.3 and 1.5 inches, while other reports have claimed even larger displays of 2.5 inches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 149
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    It would make sense IF AAPL has finalized the design and concept. They aren't interfering with any of their own existing products or lines of business, just building anticipation with an early release.
  • Reply 2 of 149
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

No parts leak yet though.

• Reply 3 of 149
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I'd love to see it- if for no other reason to not have to hear anymore rumors about it.
  • Reply 4 of 149
    This is huge news -

1 extra month of sales

Christmas - Back to School - EVERYTHING

College Students - everyone getting back into Athletics - fat people wanting to get healthy

Stock will be up to $105 in several days - maybe $110 before 9/9
  • Reply 5 of 149
    So who will be "right?" Well-connected Ming or well-connected John Paczkowski?

I myself can't wait to see it.
  • Reply 6 of 149
    I, for one, will be one of the FIRST to order my iWatch, no matter what it looks like or what it does.

I failed to pre-order the iPad and have been living in shame ever since. I had to buy mine on Day 1 with the rest of the 'public'
  • Reply 7 of 149
    I want this too debut with advanced health monitoring capabilities, something beyond a pedometer and heart rate monitor. That would get me to wear a watch again. The Android Wear devices coming this year are stylish products (the round ones that haven't debuted yet anyway) but they don't make me want to bear the admittedly small burden of wearing a watch. The watch would also have to be Android-compatible, but I know that's a long shot.
  • Reply 8 of 149
    Wallet at the ready....
  • Reply 9 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Torrid Foster View Post

I, for one, will be one of the FIRST to order my iWatch, no matter what it looks like or what it does.

I failed to pre-order the iPad and have been living in shame ever since. I had to buy mine on Day 1 with the rest of the 'public'

So you're going to buy something you that you don't know 1) what it does 2) what it looks like 3) how much it costs? Wow.

• Reply 10 of 149
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member

I would hope it was humour ;)

• Reply 11 of 149
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just because something wasn't leaked, doesn't mean its not going to happen. I don't recall much if anything from the MacPro being leaked either before Apple gave us a sneak peak at it. 

That being said, I'm not going to get excited at all until I see an official announcement from Apple that there's even going to be an event on Sept 9th. 

• Reply 12 of 149
    Anythings possible and it would definitely be a positive for sales as people getting an iPhone6 will at the same time get an iWatch
  • Reply 13 of 149
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Just because something wasn't leaked, doesn't mean its not going to happen. I don't recall much if anything from the MacPro being leaked either before Apple gave us a sneak peak at it. 

That being said, I'm not going to get excited at all until I see an official announcement from Apple that there's even going to be an event on Sept 9th. 

The Mac Pro was made in the US by well paid, professional, grown ups, not underpaid Chinese teenagers with questionable ethics who steal parts.

I would love to learn that the iWatch is being made in the US, but probably not likely. 

I will reserve judgement until I see it but it would take a lot to convince me to wear a watch.

Nothing is going to scream fanboy like an iWatch.

• Reply 14 of 149
    mstone wrote: »

Probably because they haven't started mass production on it yet. Parts usually leak from the supply chain. Not from Cupertino.
  • Reply 15 of 149
    Back to more passive verb headlines that begin with "Apple expected to" :no:
  • Reply 16 of 149
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Made in the USA?  Has to be, otherwise we'd have seen leak after leak.

Can't wait!

• Reply 17 of 149

Oh Come on.... we don't do extensive cost/benefit analysis of this stuff.  It's jewellery, fashion.  Meant to impress.  I'm not even sure how I'm living without it now!

I will get on board so the hotties at the local Starbucks will swoon over me and my iWatch.

• Reply 18 of 149

As I said elsewhere, a wristband on a 13" iPad.   =)

No, I don't really expect that.  I just hope whatever the "wearable" turns out to be is vastly different from the two artistic renderings we've seen for months and months here and elsewhere, and which are part of the above article!

• Reply 19 of 149
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    No way apple will dilute the attention of the world by announcing them together!
    Apple will keep the focus on each product in its own exclusive event !
  • Reply 20 of 149
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Just waiting for Jim Dalrymple's "yep" or "nope"