Apple expected to unveil 'iWatch' alongside 'iPhone 6' at Sept. 9 event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 149
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The stock has been on a tear -- witness today's move, for instance -- in large part based on this rumor. I hope Sep 9 does not disappoint: if no watch (or some other new product category), there could be a pretty hard landing.....

Expect an irrational reaction from Wall Street no matter what happens. You know this. They're not married to stocks, they seek profits at any cost.

• Reply 42 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Made in the USA?  Has to be, otherwise we'd have seen leak after leak.

Can't wait!

The parts leak during the production ramp up where there rare so many from multiple vendors moving around the supply chain. If they are announcing it with a much later ship date, then they can control the components enough for the early prototypes to prevent leaks. Since it is likely to be a hardware platform for developers to use, announcing it early with SDKs is the best route. Then if parts leak during production ramp up it doesn't really matter as the device and basic specs will have already been announced. It is Ok for them to announce it early as it won't stall sales of a current product. This is similar to what they did with the Pro, but they couldn't really stall Pro sells any more than they were with such an old system. They also pre-announced the new iMac which did stall sales some, but did let them show off the new system before supply chain leakers. The best example of this was the original iPhone. They announced it, were able to surprise people, and gave themselves enough time to build them after the announcement.

• Reply 43 of 149
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

They're never first because they need someone to copy from.  

I think you meant to log into SamsungInsider.

• Reply 44 of 149
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    andysol wrote: »
    I'd love to see it- if for no other reason to not have to hear anymore rumors about it.

I'd rather see first the TV that was rumored loong before that.
  • Reply 45 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

So you're going to buy something you that you don't know 1) what it does 2) what it looks like 3) how much it costs? Wow.

YES!  They've earned my trust to that degree.

1) Don't know "What it does"

a)  It will work and it will work well with my existing stuff.  Apple has earned my trust... though the blue screens of death on my iPhone 5s shook my faith there for a couple of weeks.

b)  Apple doesn't put out useless crap.  It will be useable and useful immediately and not a geek toy that may or may not catch on in a few years.

c)  Even if I don't need it... it will be worth exploring because I'm a developer and a new product category from Apple will have momentum right out of the gate.  If I really don't need it, I'm sure I can sell it to someone who does very easily... and possibly at a profit on ebay.

2) Don't know "What it looks like"

a)  It will look good.  Apple has earned this respect from me in this regard.

b)  At the very least it will be well thought out.

3) Don't know "How much it costs"

a)  It won't be cheap.  If you want cheap.. get a Rolexo or a iPone.

b)  Apple doesn't gouge.  It will be expensive but it'll be worth it.  I've never thought I paid too much for an Apple product.  Apple has earned my respect here as well.  

c)  Apple prices are cheap relative to their competitors.  Try reselling a iPad mini (2012 - $110 gazelle) vs a Nexus 7 (2012 - $0 gazelle).... or an iPhone 5 (2012 - $175 gazelle) vs a Galaxy S3 (2012 - $30 gazelle).

• Reply 46 of 149
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How often does Dalrymple do "yep's"?
  • Reply 47 of 149
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How often does Dalrymple do "yep's"?

Not that often, really.

• Reply 48 of 149
    The iWatch(es) are great news ...

But I think the best is yet to come!

WOT!

I hadn't done any OS X programming for years -- the last thing I worked on was an app that presented a multi-column table view ala iTunes -- each column was sortable, resizeable, movable hideable ...

Back then you used an NSTableView and had to do a lot of verbose, error-prone glue code to make all the pieces of functionality work together.

About a week ago, my daughter's weird Mac recipe app broke -- when she reached 2,700 recipes it started randomly deleting existing recipes.

Hey, why not -- I've been playing around with Swift and here was a chance to save the day with and reacquaint myself NSTableView ...

Well, the Swift part was easy -- the table view, not so much. Everything had changed in presenting NSTAbleViews (since XCode3) -- You do most of the work in the UI (XIBS or Storyboards) with Bindings to the table -- the Bindings do all the work that you previously had to do in messy glue code.

Several problems:

[LIST]
    [*] not a lot of good tutorials and examples of Bindings
    [*] most of the examples used XIBS -- I wanted to use Storyboards
    [*] most of the examples wouldn't run on Xcode 6 -- required for Swift
    [*] there were zero examples of TableView Bindings in Swift.
    [*]
    [/LIST]

Well, I finally broke the code -- I was trying too hard to [B][I] make [/I] [/B]it do what I wanted -- rather than [B][I] let [/I][/B] it do what I wanted:

I can't overemphasize how significant this is -- the combination of Swift, Storyboards and Bindings have changed a messy, complex, rambling programming process -- into an elegant, succinct and focused effort.

There are 41 lines of hand-written, high-level code to do this ... 41 lines -- including blank lines for readability ... 41 lines of code ...

I suspect this is the kind of thing that will interest IBM and IT Pros!

I can easily envision this kind of construct being made available to iPad and iPhone developers!

... 41 lines of code ...

Here's a simple app window -- the second is resorted and has the columns moved and resized:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47699/width/300/height/1000[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47700/width/300/height/1000[/IMG]

Here's the code (only 3 Classes -- the AppDelegate was generated by XCode and is unmodified):

[CODE]import Cocoa

class AppDelegate: NSObject, NSApplicationDelegate {

func applicationDidFinishLaunching(aNotification: NSNotification?) {

}

func applicationWillTerminate(aNotification: NSNotification?) {
    // Insert code here to tear down your application
    }

}
    [/CODE]

[CODE]import Foundation

class Person : NSObject {

var firstName : String
    var lastName : String
    var age: Int

init (firstName : String, lastName : String) {
    self.firstName = firstName
    self.lastName = lastName
    self.age = 0
    }

}[/CODE]

[CODE]import Cocoa

class ViewController: NSViewController, NSTableViewDataSource, NSTableViewDelegate
    {

@IBOutlet var tableArray: NSArrayController!

override func viewDidLoad() {
    super.viewDidLoad()

// Prime the tableArray with Person Objects
    var aPerson = Person(firstName: "", lastName: "")

aPerson = Person(firstName: "Tallest", lastName: "Skill")
    self.tableArray.addObject(aPerson)
    aPerson = Person(firstName: "Sol", lastName: "Ipsism")
    aPerson = Person(firstName: "Digital", lastName: "Clips")
    aPerson = Person(firstName: "TeaEarl", lastName: "GreyHot")
    aPerson = Person(firstName: "Relic", lastName: "")
    aPerson = Person(firstName: "M", lastName: "Stone")

}
    }
    [/CODE]

Here's The Storyboard:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47698/width/300/height/1000[/IMG]

... 41 lines ...
  • Reply 49 of 149
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    No way apple will dilute the attention of the world by announcing them together!
    Apple will keep the focus on each product in its own exclusive event !

I disagree .. They belong together -- each enhances the other -- they should be introduced together!
  • Reply 50 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I think you meant to log into SamsungInsider.

I think you meant to log into applebf.

• Reply 51 of 149
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mstone wrote: »
    The Mac Pro was made in the US by well paid, professional, grown ups, not underpaid Chinese teenagers with questionable ethics who steal parts.
    It is sad you think that way. For one the leaks don't appear to be coming from Chinese teenagers at all. Second you seem to deny any value at all to generating these leaks.
    I would love to learn that the iWatch is being made in the US, but probably not likely. 
    Sadly that is probably the case. The U.S. use to have an active watch industry, even an electronics industry.
    I will reserve judgement until I see it but it would take a lot to convince me to wear a watch.
    I agree with this, no iWatch for me unless it can help with my diabetes control. That can't happen unless it is an FDA approved device.
    Nothing is going to scream fanboy like an iWatch.
    Probably. It really depends upon how well executed it is. To put it bluntly most people don't wear a watch. To tell the time.
  • Reply 52 of 149
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Until you see it or Jim D says 'Yup'.... dooon't yoouuuu believe it.

• Reply 53 of 149
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    I don't care when Apple decides to unveil their next iOS device to the public as long as they are absolutely sure that it is ready.  Tim Cook cannot reside over a dud at this point. His entire legacy will be tarnished.

Baloney! How many duds did Apple have with Steve Jobs running things. Forgot about all of those didn't you?
  • Reply 54 of 149
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">They'll not introduce a product to take the attention away from the iPhone 6. That would be poor marketing on their part. My impression is</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> this is [SIZE=16px]nonsense[/SIZE].</span>

It isn't that simple. If the product is an extension of iPhone it almost has to debut with iPhone. Beyond that the September reveal has never been just iPhone, I'm expecting a bunch if iOS surprises.
  • Reply 55 of 149
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

I think you meant to log into applebf.

That literally makes no sense.  But ok.

As you were.

• Reply 56 of 149
    Two things:

If the event is to be held on September 9th, shouldn't invitations be out any time now?

Secondly, it seems that parts start leaking with approaching SOP. Therefore, it might be that the wearable is still month away from entering mass production and _therefore_ is an ideal candidate for a big "one more thing" during the iPhone presentation. Especially as it was pointed out before because it is a new category of apple product, therefore not putting purple off buying a current version.
  • Reply 57 of 149
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    I disagree .. They belong together -- each enhances the other -- they should be introduced together!

Yes and no in a sense. Iwatch needs iphone.. But iphone does not need iwatch.
    Id rather see iphone introduced with its full flare and focus..
    And at a later date introduce iwatch in full flare and focus and show how is works with the iphone and more !

This way each product will have its own limelight !
  • Reply 58 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The iWatch(es) are great news ...

But I think the best is yet to come!

WOT!

I hadn't done any OS X programming for years -- the last thing I worked on was an app that presented a multi-column table view ala iTunes -- each column was sortable, resizeable, movable hideable ...

Back then you used an NSTableView and had to do a lot of verbose, error-prone glue code to make all the pieces of functionality work together.

About a week ago, my daughter's weird Mac recipe app broke -- when she reached 2,700 recipes it started randomly deleting existing recipes.

Hey, why not -- I've been playing around with Swift and here was a chance to save the day with and reacquaint myself NSTableView ...

Well, the Swift part was easy -- the table view, not so much. Everything had changed in presenting NSTAbleViews (since XCode3) -- You do most of the work in the UI (XIBS or Storyboards) with Bindings to the table -- the Bindings do all the work that you previously had to do in messy glue code.

Several problems:

• not a lot of good tutorials and examples of Bindings

• most of the examples used XIBS -- I wanted to use Storyboards

• most of the examples wouldn't run on Xcode 6 -- required for Swift

• there were zero examples of TableView Bindings in Swift.

•  

Well, I finally broke the code -- I was trying too hard to make it do what I wanted -- rather than let it do what I wanted:

I can't overemphasize how significant this is -- the combination of Swift, Storyboards and Bindings have changed a messy, complex, rambling programming process -- into an elegant, succinct and focused effort.

There are 41 lines of hand-written, high-level code to do this ... 41 lines -- including blank lines for readability ... 41 lines of code ...

I suspect this is the kind of thing that will interest IBM and IT Pros!

I can easily envision this kind of construct being made available to iPad and iPhone developers!

... 41 lines of code ...

Here's The Storyboard:

... 41 lines ...

Impressive!

Now, if you'd only made it 42 lines, you would have found the meaning of life. 

Better luck next time.

• Reply 59 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Two things:

If the event is to be held on September 9th, shouldn't invitations be out any time now?

Secondly, it seems that parts start leaking with approaching SOP. Therefore, it might be that the wearable is still month away from entering mass production and _therefore_ is an ideal candidate for a big "one more thing" during the iPhone presentation. Especially as it was pointed out before because it is a new category of apple product, therefore not putting purple off buying a current version.

Probably Tuesday for the announcement.

I think it makes sense for the 9th and using Steve's "One more thing..." hook would really generate excitement.  It would reinforce the notion that the iWatch is something special.  Plus, just the extra articles about how "Cook is copying Steve" or "Cook Channeling Steve" would drive news for days... enhancing exposure of the iWatch.

Also I suspect that the only way for Apple to beat the leaks is to announce products much earlier then the mass production start.  Less people involved mean less chance of leakage.  When you have 10s of thousands of people working on it during mass pro then any chance of containment are lost.  Early announcements will also help this new category because it gives time for developers to get a head start on ideas before the device actually arrives.

• Reply 60 of 149
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Serendip View Post

I think it makes sense for the 9th and using Steve's "One more thing..." hook would really generate excitement.

But it’s Steve’s. There’s a reason they haven’t used it since.

Also I suspect that the only way for Apple to beat the leaks is to announce products much earlier then the mass production start.

If they plan to sell any this quarter they can’t do that.