Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I was using a painting app on the iPad recently, and I get pixel perfect precision using my fingers. 

I like how you can keep zooming in and out while painting, and the more you zoom, the greater the precision becomes.

I haven't even touched a mouse in years. Mice are obsolete as far as I'm concerned. When I use OS X, I use magic trackpads.

Who has the time for constant zooming in and out to overcome the inaccuracy and limitations of touch input. For example, if you are trying to draw a path around an object to clip it out, you need to see the image at no more than 1:1 because if you are zoomed in too far you can't discern the edge of the object.

On a Mac, track pads are way too slow and inaccurate. High end drawing applications like AutoCad, Illustrator, and even Photoshop have really tiny controls, way too small to precisely manage with a track pad. Track pads are trial and error to actually get the pointer to hit the exact point you want. Mouse or stylus are the only way to be 100% accurate 100% of the time in those types of programs. Track pad works fine for surfing the web and selecting form fields, etc. not for precision drawing. Even for typing it is cumbersome, like when you are trying to drop the cursor between two characters, especially if they are "ll" to "il" or "Il" or just before a period. Hit and miss at best.

Apparently Apple still thinks a mouse is useful. They include one with every iMac.

• Reply 102 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I was using a painting app on the iPad recently, and I get pixel perfect precision using my fingers. 

I like how you can keep zooming in and out while painting, and the more you zoom, the greater the precision becomes.

I haven't even touched a mouse in years. Mice are obsolete as far as I'm concerned. When I use OS X, I use magic trackpads.

Who has the time for constant zooming in and out to overcome the inaccuracy and limitations of touch input. For example, if you are trying to draw a path around an object to clip it out, you need to see the image at no more than 1:1 because if you are zoomed in too far you can't discern the edge of the object.

On a Mac, track pads are way too slow and inaccurate. High end drawing applications like AutoCad, Illustrator, and even Photoshop have really tiny controls, way too small to precisely manage with a track pad. Track pads are trial and error to actually get the pointer to hit the exact point you want. Mouse or stylus are the way only to be 100% accurate 100% of the time in those types of programs. Track pad works fine for surfing the web and selecting form fields, etc. not for precision drawing. Even for typing it is cumbersome, like when you are trying to drop the cursor between two characters, especially if they are "ll" to "il" or "Il" or just before a period. Hit and miss at best.

Apparently Apple still thinks a mouse is useful. They include one with every iMac.

And people use mice with laptops; you're missing the point.

An iPad is always going to be superior to a laptop for drawing, because of the form factor.

• Reply 103 of 115
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

On a Mac, track pads are way too slow and inaccurate. High end drawing applications like AutoCad, Illustrator, and even Photoshop have really tiny controls, way too small to precisely manage with a track pad. Track pads are trial and error to actually get the pointer to hit the exact point you want. Mouse or stylus are the only way to be 100% accurate 100% of the time in those types of programs. Track pad works fine for surfing the web and selecting form fields, etc. not for precision drawing. Even for typing it is cumbersome, like when you are trying to drop the cursor between two characters, especially if they are "ll" to "il" or "Il" or just before a period. Hit and miss at best.

There is definitely room for other forms of input with the iPad. iBrush, anyone?

• Reply 104 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

you're missing the point.

What point was that Ben? I addressed each and every topic in Apple II's post. You have to start trying to read the content of the quoted text not just base your remarks on the reply taken out of context. I've noticed you do that quite often.

Your comments make no sense in regard to anything I wrote in my post. If you are just trying to disagree with everything I write, please put more effort and thought into it.

• Reply 105 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There is definitely room for other forms of input with the iPad. iBrush, anyone?

• Reply 106 of 115
    Quote:

Too many people get hung up on the idea of the iPad replacing a laptop…

I agree. But no one has made a case that there is a great need for a 13" tablet. Oh yes, some people have made the case that they could use a large iPad for this or that. I'm not saying there is absolutely no need at all for a larger device; I'm just saying that none of the ideas presented so far make the case that a 13" iPad will be a success in the marketplace. Don't tell me that the device is good for the Enterprise, show me how. Don't tell me that the device enhances productivity, show me how. Don't tell me the device can replace or compliment another device, show me how. Show me how Apple will sell millions of these things. Show me how a 13" Apple iPad will sell better than Samsung's Galaxy Tab or Microsoft's Surface Pro 3. Just show me.

• Reply 107 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Quote:

Too many people get hung up on the idea of the iPad replacing a laptop…

I agree. But no one has made a case that there is a great need for a 13" tablet. Oh yes, some people have made the case that they could use a large iPad for this or that. I'm not saying there is absolutely no need at all for a larger device; I'm just saying that none of the ideas presented so far make the case that a 13" iPad will be a success in the marketplace. Don't tell me that the device is good for the Enterprise, show me how. Don't tell me that the device enhances productivity, show me how. Don't tell me the device can replace or compliment another device, show me how. Show me how Apple will sell millions of these things. Show me how a 13" Apple iPad will sell better than Samsung's Galaxy Tab or Microsoft's Surface Pro 3. Just show me.

Fair enough.

Once could make a list of all the benefits, but I don't think that would sway you either. And anyway, no-one, not even Apple, can truly tell until they release something into the wild. The thing with screen size is that it's such a general thing. When I went from a 15" iMac to a 24", it was amazing! It wasn't due to a particular use-case, but because of everything. If they released a big iPad this year, I would snap it up like a banshee, because I know I would love it. Everything bigger! Photos, films, books, magazines, sheet music, notes, documents, more space to type, bigger keyboard; overall, a more immersive experience. Really, portability is the only question mark, but as long as they get the weight to about the iPad 2, I'm sold.

• Reply 108 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

But no one has made a case that there is a great need for a 13" tablet.

You’re joking, right? 

• Reply 109 of 115
    mstone wrote: »

I don't believe I received one with mine. It's a couple years old so perhaps it's a recent thing. ...or I got cheated.
  • Reply 110 of 115
    mstone wrote: »

I don't believe I received one with mine. It's a couple years old so perhaps it's a recent thing. ...or I got cheated.

Maybe yours was stolen.

Apple include either a Magic Mouse or a Magic Trackpad with the iMac.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

...Magic Trackpad...

That’s what he’s saying. No mouse.

• Reply 112 of 115
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    I agree. But no one has made a case that there is a great need for a 13" tablet. Oh yes, some people have made the case that they could use a large iPad for this or that. I'm not saying there is absolutely no need at all for a larger device; I'm just saying that none of the ideas presented so far make the case that a 13" iPad will be a success in the marketplace. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Don't tell me that the device is good for</span>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;">the</em>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;">Enterprise</em>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">, show me how. Don't tell me that the device enhances productivity, show me how. Don't tell me the device can replace or compliment another device, show me how. Show me how Apple will sell millions of these things. Show me how a 13" Apple iPad will sell better than Samsung's Galaxy Tab or Microsoft's Surface Pro 3. Just show me.</span>

When you see it in the flesh, you will be shown. If you're susceptible, you will get it. It will be a matter of sex appeal, pure and simple, not the kinds of needs you are talking about above. At worst, you could call it techno-lust. It will sell very well.
  • Reply 113 of 115
    Maybe yours was stolen.

Apple include either a Magic Mouse or a Magic Trackpad with the iMac.

My mistake. I was curious enough to go the the confirmation emails. I asked for the trackpad, because I already had a mouse I believe.
  • Reply 114 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

My mistake. I was curious enough to go the the confirmation emails. I asked for the trackpad, because I already had a mouse I believe.

No my mistake. Mouse is the default but you can opt for the trackpad instead. I haven't purchased any iMacs for a while. I want to, but I'm stuck trying to decide what to do about the delay of the next gen cpus.

• Reply 115 of 115
    I've been skipping on buying an Air because of the low resolution screen, and I think a lot of people are waiting for a Retina MB Air, which won't happen without a lot of battery tech advances.

So if a larger iPad is in the works, it'll fit in the Macbook Air line alongside existing MB Airs, and it'll either come with a keyboard cover or it'll look just the MB Air(attached keyboard, maaaybe detachable).

The difference to a MB Air will be it'll run iOS instead of OSX(until Apple unveils iOS 8 "Pro" with split-screen multitasking), offering much better battery life, larger storage and of course a higher price between the current iPad's price and the Air price(around $700 for 64GB and $800 for 128GB). Weight should be closer to the iPad line 1.3-1.4 pounds(600-650g) with the keyboard, compared to the current Air which is 2.38 pounds(1.08kg).

That should satisfy anyone looking to use an iOS device for work.

Source: speculation, gut feelings of an iOS developer.