Start Up Disk Full, CONSTANTLY

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited July 2015

Can anyone give me simple step by step ways to deal with this issue.  There are tones of threads out there, but I am not a techie and I can't understand what I am supposed to do to deal with this issue.  

I can't use this MacBook Air because everytime I use it, I get this warning and then I run the disk cleaners, it frees up space and then it fills back up instantly.  

I have removed all of my pictures to an external drive, I only have a couple of movies on iTunes (which I can't even access because it says it doesn't have enough memory)…  I have some songs on iTunes, about 200, but again, I can't even access them and sync with my iPad and iPhone!  

I never had issue like this with my PC and I am considering selling this useless piece of junk and going back to PC!!!

If anyone can help with simple, step by step instructions, I would be forever grateful!

TY in advance.

~s~

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    There's a program here that will tell you see what's using the most space:

http://diskwave.barthe.ph

Just click the main drive in the program and it will list everything by size.
  • Reply 2 of 7

Thanks, but did I mention I am not a techie?  ;-)  

I downloaded the app, but I have no idea what I am supposed to do with the information.  It doesn't identify the start up disk specifically and it says I have 5GB open on my 60GB hard drive…  If I have 5GB available, why does my computer lock up and stop working after telling me the start up disk is full?

• Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I downloaded the app, but I have no idea what I am supposed to do with the information.  It doesn't identify the start up disk specifically and it says I have 5GB open on my 60GB hard drive…  If I have 5GB available, why does my computer lock up and stop working after telling me the start up disk is full?

The startup disk should be the top option on the left. It tells you what files are using the most space so it should help narrow down where most of your space is going.

If you have 5GB available, your computer wouldn't lock up at that point. You'd need to run the app when the warning shows and find out what's using the space.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

As pointed out you would want to free up some space. 60GB is pretty small relative to present day uses of computers. If I'm not mistaken that would be the formatted capacity of the 64GB Air model. That came with 2GB of ram, which is tight. You can check that statistic by clicking the Apple logo in the upper left of your screen and on about this mac. My best guess is that you have one of those models, and that the lack of memory means that it often writes to disk. Marvin might know how Mavericks handles this. I see Data Read and Data Written, but I don't know if those are still tied to pageins/outs. On anything preceding 10.9 you could check pageouts for the amount of data written to disk. If it's high relative to your free space, it's just that apps needed to write information somewhere and no address space was available within ram. If you're right on the border of where it starts to issue warning thresholds, that can definitely do it.

• Reply 5 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

Since you’re new to Macs and not a techie, I can imagine that you’re having a hard time following complicated instructions.  

I’m not a techie either and don’t know if you have the same problem I’ve had; however, in my case, AI members suggested that I empty the Trash.  That worked for me.  Probably too simplistic in your case but worth a try. 

Don’t give up on Macs. They might present a high learning curve at first, but you’ll find them better than PCs.  I used PCs for about twenty years before switching to a Mac.  They’d have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me back to a PC.  I have to use a PC at work but it seems unwieldy after using a Mac. 

• Reply 6 of 7

Select Startup disk and press Command+I keys together and get a detailed info the used space on your drive. Moreover, you can empty trash, archive old files, which are not in use, remove system logs and temporary files and improve the performance.

• Reply 7 of 7

Check it with Disk Expert it will show you which files takes up a lot of space and allow you to delete them