Apple wins patent for Steve Jobs-designed Fifth Ave glass cube

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
The iconic Fifth Avenue Apple Store glass cube, which was designed in part by legendary company co-founder Steve Jobs, is now a patented ornamental building design sanctioned by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

The patent was officially granted this week, and represents the latest design of the 32-foot cube, which uses fewer panes of glass to achieve a cleaner aesthetic. The simpler look came as a result of a redesign that was completed in late 2011.

Previously, the cube used 90 panes of glass, but Apple sunk an estimated $6.7 million into the 15-pane redesign at its flagship New York City store.

The cube was personally designed by Jobs and is one of the most photographed landmarks in the city. The former CEO even paid for the project himself, and was the owner of the structure.

Jobs is actually credited as one of seven inventors of the structure, and is joined by former retail chief Ron Johnson. The other inventors are Karl Backus, Peter Bohlin, Robert Bridger, Benjamin L. Fay, and James O'Callaghan.

The term of the newly awarded building patent is 14 years. Apple originally filed for the patent in October of 2012.

The all-glass design has even inspired other projects from Apple, including its megastore in Shanghai that opened in 2010. Like the Fifth Avenue store, its entrance is a staircase enclosed in glass, though the one in China is a cylinder. Apple was awarded a patent for its design last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    [S]Breaking[/S] breakable news¡
  • Reply 2 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    As the design enters the realms of history as an iconic, architectural masterpiece, let's dig up the posts from the haters at the time.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Why only 14 years? Surley if you designed it it should be yours for life?
  • Reply 4 of 57

So what does this mean... no one else is allowed to build a glass cube anymore?

This whole patent thing just gets weirder and weirder.

• Reply 5 of 57
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    So what does this mean... no one else is allowed to build a glass cube anymore?

This whole patent thing just gets weirder and weirder.

Odd question; the link is in the article:
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D712067.html

But to make it easy for you:

Modular building
    United States Patent 8584404
    Abstract:
    A modular building is produced from base elements that include skeleton structural elements, from which a skeleton structure is formed, and planar elements with at least wall, floor, and ceiling elements attached to the skeleton structure. The skeleton structure elements are detachably connected to each other to form the skeleton structure and the planar elements are detachably connected to the skeleton structure and to each other. A method for producing a modular building that is produced from base elements, with a skeleton structure and planar elements, which include at least wall, floor, and ceiling elements being produced and/or provided as the base elements. The skeleton structure elements are detachably connected to each other to form the skeleton structure and the planar elements are detachably connected to the skeleton structure and/or to each other.

Many other issues are explained in the patent. Oh, and they have drawings. Everybody likes drawings.

• Reply 6 of 57

US Constitution, Article I, Section 8, Clause 8

The Congress shall have power to...promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries....

Design patents are limited to 14 years

• Reply 7 of 57
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Would love to see this in person, haven't made it quite that far up yet. Soon.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    This is all well and good until Samsung copies it and then the Patent Office invalidates it.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member

Judge Koh will have none of that, wait till some Korean company brings a case to her court.

• Reply 10 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Would love to see this in person, haven't made it quite that far up yet. Soon.

Same here. I always go to the SoHo store.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Looks like the Santambrogiomilano group might have to tear down their simple glass cubed house that went on display late 2009

http://designyoutrust.com/2009/12/santambrogiomilano-simplicity/

• Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Same here. I always go to the SoHo store.

Considering a trip up during winter school break, but I'm already asking myself if that's wise?

• Reply 13 of 57
    Considering a trip up during winter school break, but I'm already asking myself if that's wise?

A trip to NYC is always a wise choice. ????
  • Reply 14 of 57
    nairb wrote: »
    <h4 style="color:rgb(34,34,34);padding-bottom:0px;">Looks like the Santambrogiomilano group might have to tear down their simple glass cubed house that went on display late 2009</h4>

http://designyoutrust.com/2009/12/santambrogiomilano-simplicity/

I believe anything up before the patent is granted is allowed to stay up.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

A trip to NYC is always a wise choice. ????

I think he may have meant going from downtown to midtown.

You New Yorkers.... ;-)

• Reply 16 of 57
    I think he may have meant going from downtown to midtown.

You New Yorkers.... ;-)

That's what I initially thought, but now it seems like he/she is not in NY.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    onepotato wrote: »
    This is all well and good until Samsung copies it and then the Patent Office invalidates it.

And Judge Koh posts her official response: "Muahahahahahaha"!
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:

That's what I initially thought, but now it seems like he/she is not in NY.

He/I am not in NY.  I'm in NC.  I have been only around NYC, never into the heart of the city.  I'd love to visit around the holidays but just not sure I can handle the crowds, that's what I meant earlier :-)

Side note, spent the last winter holidays in DC.  Terrific city, and practically abandoned during the week of xmas.  

• Reply 19 of 57
    He/I am not in NY.  I'm in NC.  I have been only around NYC, never into the heart of the city.  I'd love to visit around the holidays but just not sure I can handle the crowds, that's what I meant earlier :-)

Side note, spent the last winter holidays in DC.  Terrific city, and practically abandoned during the week of xmas.  

If it's any consultation the holiday crowds are usually tourists that aren't used to crowds either.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If it's any consultation the holiday crowds are usually tourists that aren't used to crowds either.

That would include me, and I don't know if that's any consolation.