Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 317
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Seriously though- I want an Apple TV refresh more than anything else...

To be honest, I'm not even sure what I want!

I'm just going to watch the event, hopefully live, and then I will decide what to get afterwards.

Am I going to buy an iWatch? Maybe

Am I going to buy a new Apple TV? Maybe

Am I going to buy a new Mac Mini? Maybe

The one thing that I know for sure that I will be getting is a new iPad.

• Reply 102 of 317
    I'm starting to get the feeling that this is a really, really big event -- maybe even the biggest event in Apple history.

Hmm ... How large is the attendance at the President's annual State of the Union Preso?

I did some surfing and could find no mention of any Apple Event at Flint Center except the 1984 Mac announcement ...

Hmm ... 1984 - 2014 ... 30 years ... lots of great successes (and a few failures) in those 30 years ...

The Flint location in Cupertino gives easy access to many tech celebrities, present and former Apple notables ... I wouldn't be surprised if Tim were to publicly introduce and thank people like; Woz, Laurene Jobs, Mike Markkula, Scottie, Gene Carter ...

This event has a very pleasant odor of success about it ...
  • Reply 103 of 317
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    I don't expect Apple to beat the watch I bought a few days ago.
    I will be truly amazed if they do.
  • Reply 104 of 317
    Well, there is a very Big apple logo in the background of invite?!
  • Reply 105 of 317
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I just hope the Gizmodo muppets don't steal anything.
  • Reply 106 of 317
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Please make it Tallest!

What, in the same vein as the text-image-text “memes” we see? Ew, no. I prefer memetic associations that grow naturally.

Elevator shots, for example, or Mr. Blurrycam. 

• Reply 107 of 317
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I did some surfing and could find no mention of any Apple Event at Flint Center except the 1984 Mac announcement ...

If you read my prior post, you'll see that the 1998 iMac unveiling was at the Flint Center. 

Apple has held three previous events at Flint Center

http://www.loopinsight.com/

• Reply 108 of 317
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Regarding hidden meanings in the invite: obviously this speculation happens every year, but I don't recall ever seeing any assessment AFTER the event. Has anyone ever gone back and compared the predictions drawn from the invitation design to what was actually announced to see if any of them were right? Has anyone ever actually uncovered a real clue in any invitation to date?

There have been a couple of hints in the invites. The iPhone 5 one was this where they used shadows:

The 5s event was this where the 5c also launched:

The 4s was this where Siri was announced:

rogifan wrote:
    3 story structure being put up. Assuming its a demo area?

Probably just the first box the iPhone 5.5" comes in.

We know that Yosemite is coming as well as iOS 8. There will be the iPhone 6 and new iPads to show off. Retina iMacs are a possibility. Retina Broadwell Air is a possibility too. There will be parts for a drop-in Mac Pro upgrade. They've bought Beats so I'd expect them to be showing off headphones, something will likely happen with how they deliver music because iPod sales are way down.

The bigger event hall could simply be down to increased interest in their events, they've been selling out very quickly:

http://www.zdnet.com/after-selling-out-in-2-minutes-its-time-to-re-think-wwdc-7000014564/

If this is invite-only though, it suggests something important is being announced and they've been dropping some hints that would be the case. They mentioned there was a new category, which hasn't been clarified yet so this could be a wearable of some sort or a TV or a new way to deliver music.
  • Reply 109 of 317
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

What's the over-under on how much AAPL would drop on 9/9/14 is the iWatch isn't unveiled?

If history is any indicator, AAPL will fall on 9.9 regardless of what Apple unveils. If per chance AAPL goes up on 9.9 a lot of short sellers are going to lose their shirts!

• Reply 110 of 317
    smiles77 wrote: »
    My guess is that the constructed building on site is for a connected home that you'll be able to control locks, lights, fans, etc from your iPhone and iWatch. Best way to actually show its use: actually using it.

Yeah, but ... they could demo the connected home features in a small corner of that building -- you can use scale models of doors, garage doors, lights ... In 1978 Mountain Computer had a Voice controller device for the Apple ][. They used it to control all of the above using scale models that fit on a desktop.

It's gotta' be something much more interesting/disruptive ... or just a large hands-on area where 2,500 attendees can concurrently fondle and experiment with the new products ...

Three stories doesn't make sense except for impressive scale and/or better cooling of a small area containing lots of people ...

Or, maybe it's just a skating rink and All-Skate!

Next Year Levi Stadium or bust!
  • Reply 111 of 317
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

We know that Yosemite is coming as well as iOS 8. There will be the iPhone 6 and new iPads to show off. Retina iMacs are a possibility. Retina Broadwell Air is a possibility too. There will be parts for a drop-in Mac Pro upgrade. They've bought Beats so I'd expect them to be showing off headphones, something will likely happen with how they deliver music because iPod sales are way down.

Do you really think they’d just shoehorn everything into one event? It’s the iPhone event.

If this is invite-only though, it suggests something important is being announced...

It’s always invite only.

• Reply 112 of 317
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Good to see Apple using a proper date format. /s

• Reply 113 of 317
    apple ][ wrote: »

If you read my prior post, you'll see that the 1998 iMac unveiling was at the Flint Center. 

<h2><a href="http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/08/28/apple-has-held-three-previous-events-at-flint-center/" style="color:rgb(138,15,138);margin-bottom:10px;" target="_blank" title="Permalink to Apple has held three previous events at Flint Center">Apple has held three previous events at Flint Center</a>
    </h2>

http://www.loopinsight.com/

I was going to ask you for a link -- thx.

The shareholders event doesn't count, so you are right about the schedule of events you originally posted!
  • Reply 114 of 317
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s always invite only.

Do you think Gizmodo got an invitation?

• Reply 115 of 317
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

I think 'more' not only refers to an iWatch but to larger phones.

Couldn't care less about the overhyped iWatch, specially as I have a great RADO already - let's see what the iPhone 6 brings.

• Reply 116 of 317
    mstone wrote: »
    Good to see Apple using a proper date format. /s

Shouldn't it be: 2014.9.9 ?
  • Reply 117 of 317
    Siri is listed as the voice technology in iOS 7 devices as if later devices could have some other voice based smart assistant technology. We know that Apple will have offline voice recognition at some point and this may be what they are hinting at with "We wish we could say more". There is a lot more they could do with voice control. Many features of iOS are buried several layers deep in the UI but could be accessed instantly via voice. If this then that type features are also a natural use of voice: "Mute all sound when I am in a movie theater" or "Set the temperature to 76 degrees when I am at home".
  • Reply 118 of 317
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you think Gizmodo got an invitation?

From seeing a URL here and reading one reply, it seems they did, for some reason. I’m not going to their website to confirm; I haven’t been there since the theft of the iPhone 4.

I’d ban their organization for as long as it exists, but that’s me.

• Reply 119 of 317
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The iWatch - Apple's first new product since 2010. Looking forward to seeing it even though not interested in anything iWearable.
  • Reply 120 of 317
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Shouldn't it be: 2014.9.9 ?

Absolutely not. :D