Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 317
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m bothered by the fact that this is going to become a new meme for all future products.

Limbless monkeys are people too... or are they?

• Reply 122 of 317
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Looks like the Flint Center accommodates a large crowd. That tells me this is going to be a big announcement. Much more than new phones with a bigger screen and improved camera.

16902348.jpg

Yup, me, too. I think this will be more than just hardware. 

• Reply 123 of 317
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Work got in the way of me seeing this earlier - but you can certainly tell when Apple is about to announce something big.  All the trolls come out in force.

• Reply 124 of 317
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

On September 9th, there will be a thunderclap heard 'round the world, heaven will open and iPhone 6 models will descend on the cusp of a cloud guided by angels. Jony Ive will smile and earnestly speak to us from an all-white room. World leaders will break out in song. Dolphins will demonstrate their psychic powers and order lattes.

• Reply 125 of 317
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

He invitation is very vague , doesn't even have a time listed . Can't really read between the lines with this one .

"You don't know what time it is till you get an iWatch."

Flavor Flav should walk on stage with a giant 6" iWatch. Two rumored products in one.

• Reply 126 of 317
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The iWatch - Apple's first new product since 2010.

Uh...

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yup, me, too. I think this will be more than just hardware. 

Well, yeah; iOS 8 comes out, too.

The people turning this into ‘IT’S THE SAME VENUE AS THE MACINTOSH THEREFORE APPLE IS CREATING THE BIGGEST THING THEY HAVE EVER DONE AND IF I AM WRONG THEY ARE DOOMED’ are as bad as the analysts who do the same.

Expect the iPhone and iOS 8 and be pleasantly surprised by anything else.

• Reply 127 of 317
    apple ][ wrote: »

I want to see some surprises come Sept 9 also. Apple needs to blow me away with something amazing.

Or what, tough guy? :D
  • Reply 128 of 317
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Good to see Apple using a proper date format. /s

Shouldn't it be: 2014.9.9 ?

No, not with dots without leading zeros. We only use the Y-m-d H:i:s format for computing.

• Reply 129 of 317
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Uh...

The people turning this into ‘IT’S THE SAME VENUE AS THE MACINTOSH THEREFORE APPLE IS CREATING THE BIGGEST THING THEY HAVE EVER DONE AND IF I AM WRONG THEY ARE DOOMED’ are as bad as the analysts who do the same.

Yeah. No point complaining about how Apple stocks fall on news when we commentators on rumour sites add to the frenzy.

Wish we could say more. Might just be better Siri.
  • Reply 130 of 317
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    As evidenced by the incredible stretch in my post, the well of similes is drying up.

Dried up, maybe:

The excellent limbless monkey line isn't a simile. Simian, yes, but not a simile.
  • Reply 131 of 317
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s the iPhone event.

Says who?

I'm hoping that Apple announces a whole bunch of stuff on Sept 9.

• Reply 132 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Regarding hidden meanings in the invite: obviously this speculation happens every year, but I don't recall ever seeing any assessment AFTER the event. Has anyone ever gone back and compared the predictions drawn from the invitation design to what was actually announced to see if any of them were right? Has anyone ever actually uncovered a real clue in any invitation to date?

Then again, I guess there's no way to isolate predictions based solely on the invitation design, since they are polluted by leaks and rumours.

Well, there was the September 12, 2012 iPhone 5 announcement, where there was a "5" in the shadow of the "12" on the invitation.

• Reply 133 of 317
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Cool!
  • Reply 134 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Says who?

iPhone, iWatch, iPayments.  

• Reply 135 of 317
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Uh...

Why do they need the Flint Center which seats 2,400 to announce new iPhones? Last year they announced the 5s at the campus venue which seats 300.
  • Reply 136 of 317
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That would make sense actually. Because of supply chain constraints they won't be able to release everything at once anyway. 

In addition to new hardware I wouldn't be surprised if they announce some new cloud features, partnerships, iOS functionality, software, etc.

• Reply 137 of 317
    trubador wrote: »
    Is the white and gray swirly graphic above the date of the ad a hint towards the look of the band for the iWatch/iBand/iTime device???

Hmmmm….

Or wrist worn iPod with biosensors
  • Reply 138 of 317
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I think you are all correct about the shadow. It says 10 AM as a sundial. But why use that metaphor?

A) It's a watch
    B) It is powered by the sun (leaf + light)
    C) It overshadows what has come before
    D) It's a revolutionary new device like the watch revolutionized time telling beyond the sundial.
    E) Does the "please arrive early" portion set anyone off? Big event sure, but that could be something...
  • Reply 139 of 317
    The iWatch - Apple's first new product since 2010.

Uh...
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Yup, me, too. I think this will be more than just hardware. </span>

Speaking of iOS 8 -- another Beta should drop 9/1 (Labor Day) or 9/2.

Typically, this iOS release would be the GM ... With an invite to developers to submit iOS apps, including Swift, apps to the app store ...

But, depending on the availability schedule of the products to be announced on 9/9 (and iOS 8 support for them) -- I don't know how Apple can maintain secrecy & Developers can meet the:  

iOS 8 GM / new product support / new product availability

dates.
  • Reply 140 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why do they need the Flint Center which seats 2,400 to announce new iPhones? Last year they announced the 5s at the campus venue which seats 300.

And they'll fill every seat, easily.  Quite amazing.  And I saw the pics of the structure they're building for the event...one thing for sure, the magic of Apple's marketing did not die with Steve.