iPhone-controlled August Smart Lock finally starts shipping to preorder customers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    These lock companies should include rechargeable batteries and include an option for those willing to run a wire inside their doors for continuous charging.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Could you tone down the language please, utilise another word to emphasize your point.

He’ll just say, “Pretty sexually unnecessary of them.”

• Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

These lock companies should include rechargeable batteries and include an option for those willing to run a wire inside their doors for continuous charging.

Or design a solar-powered lock.

• Reply 24 of 28
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

The four batteries only last six months? Forget it. Last thing I want to be doing is trying to remember to change my deadbolt batteries in multiple doors multiple times a year.

You mean like with your smoke alarm?

• Reply 25 of 28
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

A lock not integrated with home control systems misses a LOT of functionality.

It works via Bluetooth. I imagine you could integrate it in with your system if you wanted to.

Especially with a "sick expensive" one like yours.

• Reply 26 of 28

Word on the street is that they just hired Bharat Vassan of Basis fame, so they shouldn't need more than another four years to ship a total disappointment.

• Reply 27 of 28

Just installed mine this week and I love it.

Batteries is something that you need to change to go wireless like smoke detector, remote control automatic blinds etc.

I do have top and bottom lock but I have the option not to lock the bottom one ( No need to remove it) 

It locks automatic when I leave and when I come inside my apt.  No need to look for my keys plus my phone is always in my hand . 

I bought Lockitron also and never worked right. Its too mechanical and App buggy . My only wish is to be able to control remotely, but my primary reason was for me and to ditch the keys! I don't want anyone on my place if Im not there anyways.

A major plus they have costumer service you can call. With Lockitron you are out of luck

I would definitely buy  August Smart Lock again.

• Reply 28 of 28
    Just installed mine this week and I love it.
    Batteries is something that you need to change to go wireless like smoke detector, remote control automatic blinds etc.
    I do have top and bottom lock but I have the option not to lock the bottom one ( No need to remove it) 
    It locks automatic when I leave and when I come inside my apt.  No need to look for my keys plus my phone is always in my hand . 
    I bought Lockitron also and never worked right. Its too mechanical and App buggy . My only wish is to be able to control remotely, but my primary reason was for me and to ditch the keys! I don't want anyone on my place if Im not there anyways.
    A major plus they have costumer service you can call. With Lockitron you are out of luck
    I would definitely buy  August Smart Lock again.

That's great and all, but let us know how you get on after one year, five years, ten years and twenty years. One week of use doesn't tell us much.