iPhone 5 & 5S trade-ins surge 2800% at Gazelle; AI readers get exclusive $10 bonus ahead of 'iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Last week, Gazelle began offering customers the ability to lock in cash trade-in prices ahead of Apple's anticipated Sept. 9 "iPhone 6" unveiling, and for the next 48 hours, AppleInsider readers can get an additional $10 cash bonus on their iPhone 5s trade in thanks to an exclusive partnership.

Lock in a cash offer for your iPhone 5S now

The first day of Gazelle's 53-day extended price lock on iPhone trade-in prices was Monday, and commitments to exchange the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s subsequently surged 2,800 percent over the prior week. The iPhone 5 was the most popular on the cash paying site, representing 40 percent of all items traded in.

And for users planning to upgrade to Apple's latest and greatest, Gazelle is offering an exclusive deal for AppleInsider readers through Friday, Aug. 29th: when using this link (or the payout links below), Gazelle will pay out an additional $10 in cash over their standard value to anyone planning to trade in a current-generation iPhone 5s after the iPhone 6 is released.

Once the price is locked in, iPhones committed to Gazelle don't need to be shipped in a prepaid box until Oct. 10, which is a few weeks after Apple's next iPhone is expected to go on sale. Apple is widely believed to be planning a media event for Sept. 9, and if the company follows its typical release pattern, the "iPhone 6" would be in customers' hands beginning Friday, Sept. 19.

Customer excitement for the "iPhone 6" is expectedly high: Gazelle said it's seen nearly five times as many iPhones traded in over the last 10 days than compared to the 10 days before that. The iPhone 5 alone has seen its trade-ins spike 10 times over that same period.

Gazelle was handling nearly five offers per second at the height of traffic when the extended price lock took effect on Monday.

As can be seen in the AppleInsider Trade-In Price Guide (relevant portion below), Gazelle is currently offering lock-in values up to $340 for previous-generation iPhones in flawless condition. With no need to send in the iPhone until Oct. 10, users will likely be able to purchase and set up their "iPhone 6" before needing to drop their handset into one of Gazelle's prepaid shipping boxes.

Current iPhone Trade-in Cash Payouts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

For whatever reason, I have kept every iPhone I've owned.  Back through the original iPhone 1.  Handy as a small web-surfing device, and the iPhone 1 was a world-phone, which is what we use as our cell-phone when we travel to SE Asia from the States.

• Reply 2 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Sept 9 is no longer anticipated.

It just got confirmed by Apple.

• Reply 3 of 20
    I thought their top teir was $350 a few days ago...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Why are you in bed with gazelle and their crappy prices AI? This is a horrible deal unless you are very lazy.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Not true they are only offering g 175 for flawless iPhone 5 64 g
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

Why are you in bed with gazelle and their crappy prices AI? This is a horrible deal unless you are very lazy.

Obviously, AI is getting some kind of consideration for these "stories", just like there seems to be a somewhat slimy relationship between them and their analyst "exclusives". Full disclosure on all "stories" would go a long way toward reducing the "we're just a cheesy blog, so we don't need to act like a news organization" taint.

• Reply 7 of 20
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Obviously, AI is getting some kind of consideration for these "stories", just like there seems to be a somewhat slimy relationship between them and their analyst "exclusives". Full disclosure on all "stories" would go a long way toward reducing the "we're just a cheesy blog, so we don't need to act like a news organization" taint.

This article clearly states that Gazelle is an affiliate partner offering an exclusive discount — it's plainly disclosed in the first paragraph. 

Regarding investor-related news stories, we have no "relationships" with analysts like you are insinuating. Analyst notes are newsworthy because they frequently affect the stock price, and many of our readers are investors. That's it. If there was anything to disclose, we would do so.

• Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nhughes View Post

This article clearly states that Gazelle is an affiliate partner offering an exclusive discount — it's plainly disclosed in the first paragraph. 

Regarding investor-related news stories, we have no "relationships" with analysts like you are insinuating. Analyst notes are newsworthy because they frequently affect the stock price, and many of our readers are investors. That's it. If there was anything to disclose, we would do so.

What is the purpose of posting analyst notes from analysts with proven poor track records? There's no shame in saying it's completely to drive web site traffic, but please do not pretend to be posting anything newsworthy. It would be "news" if AppleInsider posted supplied analyst propaganda, followed with a skeptical analysis of both their prognostications and the accuracy of their previous notes. Minus that editorial angle, it is not news nor does it serve investors.

Finally, these "partnerships" are not an "EXCLUSIVE"...they are advertising and that should be clearly divulged as "PAID ADVERTISEMENT", especially if anyone is going to start calling stories here "news".

• Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What is the purpose of posting analyst notes from analysts with proven poor track records? There's no shame in saying it's completely to drive web site traffic, but please do not pretend to be posting anything newsworthy.

I stand by what I said: Analyst notes directly affect the stock price and are newsworthy, regardless of how much you despise them. We do not cover all analyst notes we receive (far from it, actually).

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about our editorial policies via email or PM, but please keep this thread about the Gazelle offer. I would prefer to keep discussions on topic — I only intervened here to clarify any potential misconceptions about disclosure.

• Reply 10 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

We do not cover all analyst notes we receive (far from it, actually).

Good!

• Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

I stand by what I said: Analyst notes directly affect the stock price and are newsworthy, regardless of how much you despise them. We do not cover all analyst notes we receive (far from it, actually).

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about our editorial policies via email or PM, but please keep this thread about the Gazelle offer. I would prefer to keep discussions on topic — I only intervened here to clarify any potential misconceptions about disclosure.

I have no interest in a private conversation about AppleInsider policies, thanks. I've taken the editorial staff to task previously about full disclosure on stories which looked suspicious and I've yet to see a definitive policy on how conflict of interest matters are handled.

In the interest of serving both AI and the readers, it is incumbent on AppleInsider to clearly identify advertising as advertising and that is not currently being done. Use of the term "Exclusive" is (intentional or not) deceptive. "Paid Advertisement" would be more accurate.

• Reply 12 of 20
    I have no interest in a private conversation about AppleInsider policies, thanks. I've taken the editorial staff to task previously about full disclosure on stories which looked suspicious and I've yet to see a definitive policy on how conflict of interest matters are handled. I believe in the interest of serving both AI and the readers, it is incumbent on AppleInsider to clearly identify advertising as advertising and that is not currently being done.

The article was not "paid for." Gazelle provided an exclusive 48-hour promotion to AppleInsider and the publisher of the site ran a story promoting it, clearly identifying it as a promotion. Comments on such promotions should be sent the publisher's way.

I offered to separately answer any questions you might have about analyst notes and general news coverage because I handle the news side of the operation, not business or advertising. We have a staff that works very hard every day to produce fair and accurate and timely news content in Associated Press style. Clearly you are not a fan, and your input is noted.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    So, what happens if the apple store is down and I end up on a 3-4 weeks shipping delay for my new phone? Those new phones sell out online in a matter of minutes.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

The article was not "paid for." Gazelle provided an exclusive 48-hour promotion to AppleInsider and the publisher of the site ran a story promoting it, clearly identifying it as a promotion. Comments on such promotions should be sent the publisher's way.

I offered to separately answer any questions you might have about analyst notes and general news coverage because I handle the news side of the operation, not business or advertising. We have a staff that works very hard every day to produce fair and accurate and timely news content in Associated Press style. Clearly you are not a fan, and your input is noted.

I didn't intend to keep addressing this issue out of respect for your request to keep the thread on track, but since you politely responded I'll respond. 

Do you know for a fact that Gazelle and the publisher have no financial arrangements whatsoever? I'm sure you are only passing along what you know, but frankly, this does not sound realistic. This site has a history of promoting products and services without full disclosure.

It should be noted that Associated Press style refers to a style of writing, and nothing to do with the ethics and full disclosure part of actual reportage. Here is their organization's actual values and principles:  http://www.ap.org/company/news-values  The sections titled "Favors" and "Financial Interests" are particularly illuminating.

If you'd like to encourage the publisher here to post their written policies regarding paid or otherwise compensated editorial content, I think that would be a responsible thing to do. Thanks for your viewpoint. I think we are both interested in having the very best work possible here at AppleInsider. I wouldn't bother being here since 2005 if I saw no value in the site or people.

• Reply 15 of 20
    I didn't intend to keep addressing this issue out of respect for your request to keep the thread on track, but since you politely responded I'll respond. 

Do you know for a fact that Gazelle and the publisher have no financial arrangements whatsoever? I'm sure you are only passing along what you know, but frankly, this does not sound realistic. This site has a history of promoting products and services without full disclosure. It should be noted that Associated Press style refers to a style of writing, and nothing to do with the ethics and full disclosure part of actual reportage. Here is their organization's actual values and principles:  http://www.ap.org/company/news-values

If you'd like to encourage the publisher here to post their written policies regarding paid or otherwise compensated editorial content, I think that would be a responsible thing to do. Thanks for your viewpoint. I think we are both interested in having the very best work possible here at AppleInsider. I wouldn't bother being here since 2005 if I saw no value in the site or people.

No problems talking about Gazelle on the Gazelle thread, I just didn't want this to drift off into analyst bashing, which is a whole 'nother can of worms. Gazelle is clearly identified in the opening paragraph as a "partner" and the story obviously includes affiliate links, from which the site undoubtedly collects a commission. It is my understanding that Gazelle offered the $10 bonus exclusively to AI (hence the use of "exclusive" in the headline) and the publisher decided to run a story to promote the "coupon," if you will, to readers who may find it of value. The same goes for the Mac pricing guide and other occasional deals and services provided on the site which help keep it afloat. Gazelle didn't write this story or pay for placement, but obviously both they (and AI) benefit if readers find the promotion valuable to them. I think that's pretty clearly labeled from reading what was written in the story. But, that's just my two cents.

While partnerships and advertising and promotions are not my responsibility, I hope this maybe clarifies things a little bit. From what you say, you've been reading AI longer than I've been working here, so I do appreciate the concern and your feedback. I take ethics very seriously and that's why I came out of the shadows, so to speak, to hopefully alleviate any concerns.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

No problems talking about Gazelle on the Gazelle thread, I just didn't want this to drift off into analyst bashing, which is a whole 'nother can of worms. Gazelle is clearly identified in the opening paragraph as a "partner" and the story obviously includes affiliate links, from which the site undoubtedly collects a commission. It is my understanding that Gazelle offered the $10 bonus exclusively to AI (hence the use of "exclusive" in the headline) and the publisher decided to run a story to promote the "coupon," if you will, to readers who may find it of value. The same goes for the Mac pricing guide and other occasional deals and services provided on the site which help keep it afloat. Gazelle didn't write this story or pay for placement, but obviously both they (and AI) benefit if readers find the promotion valuable to them. I think that's pretty clearly labeled from reading what was written in the story. But, that's just my two cents.

While partnerships and advertising and promotions are not my responsibility, I hope this maybe clarifies things a little bit. From what you say, you've been reading AI longer than I've been working here, so I do appreciate the concern and your feedback. I take ethics very seriously and that's why I came out of the shadows, so to speak, to hopefully alleviate any concerns.

Thanks for the exchange of views. Always appreciated.

• Reply 17 of 20
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sept 9 is no longer anticipated.

It just got confirmed by Apple.

But the iPhone 6 release is anticipated, not the Sep 9 date. 

• Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

But the iPhone 6 release is anticipated, not the Sep 9 date. 

This is true. The iPhone 5 didn't arrive for what... another month after the announcement? (I'm sure someone with a better memory will correct me)

• Reply 19 of 20
    Hi, can you provide the same details on what the equivalent increases in Gazelle trade-ins at the same time prior to previous iPhone launches/announcements?

It would be interesting to see how much demand there is compared with past years.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Hard to believe that the iPhone 4 8GB is worth a mere $30 now. Just goes to show how fast technology moves along and how quickly phones depreciate in value in just under 4 years. The same prices are displayed on comparison sites like sellcell.com as well, so its across the board. It's nice that sites like Gazelle.com offer some incentives for trading in though, and locking in prices.