Apple again rumored to unveil 'iWatch' alongside next-gen iPhones on Sept. 9

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2014
Seemingly corroborating recent claims that Apple will launch its long-awaited "iWatch" wearable at an upcoming iPhone special event, Bloomberg on Thursday reported that the company decided to pair the two hardware announcements in order to "manage expectations" of the hotly anticipated wearable.

Citing sources with information on the matter, Bloomberg says Apple will unveil a so-called "iWatch" wearable device alongside the next-generation iPhone lineup at a special event on Sept. 9. Today's report comes one day after Re/code first broke news of the supposed unveiling.

Aside from corroborating the date, not much is offered in the way of new information, though Bloomberg believes "iWatch" will be positioned as "more of an accessory" than a standalone product line. The publication points out that Apple has previously held separate special events for major device categories, like the introduction of the iPhone in 2007 and the iPad in 2010

While supposed parts "leaks" from Chinese manufacturers have been rampant over the past weeks, there has yet to be any substantial evidence detailing Apple's wearable, or that it even exists. Rumblings have pointed to a flexible OLED display, much like current smartwatch models marketed by Android device makers, with some rumors saying Apple will employ a sapphire screen protector.

In June, a report cited Apple supply chain sources as saying the iWatch will sport an LG-made rectangular 2.5-inch display, as well as wireless charging. The wearable is also thought to boast a biometric sensor suite capable of tracking user health metrics like heart rate, activity and more.

Apple today sent out invitations to a special event scheduled to take place on Sept. 9 at the Flint Center, where a mysterious two-story structure apparently associated with the meetup has been erected. AppleInsider will be on site to provide live coverage of the expected hardware unveilings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Why am I thinking that at one point there was a new product for which we saw no leaks at all? Fairly recent; last eight years or so… 

• Reply 2 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why am I thinking that at one point there was a new product for which we saw no leaks at all? Fairly recent; last eight years or so… 

Maybe the Swift announcement was influential?

• Reply 3 of 50
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    The iPhone and original iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    I think that with all the rumours going on about October apple trying to get some semblance of surprise and hey if you watch the tim cook interview where he said there are doors at apple that only certain People have keys to then they very well could keep the iwatch very hidden
  • Reply 5 of 50

iWatch.  God, please give us the best design. 

• Reply 6 of 50

I still hope that Apple has punked Samesung and the rest to flush millions down the drain with their crapola 'pre-iWatches.'

Tim Cook: 'No iWatch, morons.'

• Reply 7 of 50
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "iWatch"? Meh.
    "iHome"? WOW.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I still hope that Apple has punked Samesung and the rest to flush millions down the drain with their crapola 'pre-iWatches.'

You gotta admit that would be hilarious.

• Reply 9 of 50
    I'm thinking because of all the rumours around October Apple might have decided to release the Iwatch in September to keep everyone on there toes and if you saw the interview with Tim Cook where he said only certain people have keys to certain doors then they well could've kept that Iwatch secret
  • Reply 10 of 50
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

"manage expectations" => not as magical as many people have been expecting

• Reply 11 of 50
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

The leaks come from component suppliers and final assembly factories.

So, to avoid leaks before your announcement, you announce before any manufacturing has begun.

E.g. iPhone 2G, cylindrical Mac Pro, etc.

That way the secret new product is only known to people whose salaries Apple directly controls.

• Reply 12 of 50
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And a few days after the iWatch announcement Samsung will announce the iWatchU2.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

So, to avoid leaks before your announcement, you announce before any manufacturing has begun.

Ah, the Mac Pro; I think that’s what I’m not remembering.

And yep, that’s really the only way to go. However, you run into a completely new set of problems when you do that. With the iPhone, they showed a hobbled-together prototype that could only move through its software on a “golden path”. And then there were six months of downtime for competitors.

But i think that the Mac Pro is even the opposite here. No one else in the workstation part of the industry in their right minds would have copied Apple’s designs–not a one of them believes in it! Apple could have built the Mac Pro early and had it out in 2013 without worrying about competitors stealing it.

• Reply 14 of 50
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

Ha. This coming from the guy who little more than a week ago said:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

But isn't the lack of parts the exact sort of thing you'd expect from a top-secret new project?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of non absence... 

It's all cool, TS.

• Reply 15 of 50
    sockrolid wrote: »
    The leaks come from component suppliers and final assembly factories.
    E.g. iPhone 2G, cylindrical Mac Pro, etc.
    That way the secret new product is only known to people whose salaries Apple directly controls.
    See now I think the same thing and with the patents for a wearable device that apple filed and it named almost ever functional and design rumour there is about an iwatch there's a dam good chance we'll see in sept the only thing is what the hell is it going to look like
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Ha. This coming from the guy who little more than a week ago said: It's all cool, TS.

How wrong I was. We should expect the iPhone 6, Apple HDTV, iWatch, 2.5” iPhone, and the announcement of Apple buying Nintendo. ????

Anyone else remember that last one? I do. I still support it, as a matter of fact; Nintendo wouldn’t ever do it, but what better way to sell Apple hardware?

• Reply 17 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If you consider that most(all?) of Apple's major new product categories didn't launch for months after they were demoed it could explain why there are no iWatch components filtering up through the partner sources.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Interesting and amusing idea but Samsung and others have been developing and selling smart watches for years now, even if Apple decided to never come out with one the others would still produce them. NO one is copying Apple in this niche market and it's silly to even think otherwise.

Fossil (2000)

Samsung (1999 & 2009)

Even IBM played with the idea (2000 & 2001) yep, that's a password thumb reader.

A few Microsoft Spot watches

...and company's like Seiko, Casio and Citizen have been producing smart watches since the first calculator watch in the 70's

As far as I'm concerned everyone is just copying this 1984's Seiko creation............

• Reply 19 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »
    Interesting and amusing idea but Samsung and others have been developing and selling smart watches for years now, even if Apple decided to never come out with one the others would still produce them. NO one is copying Apple in this niche market and it's silly to even think otherwise.

[images]

No one is copying Apple because there is yet nothing to copy. That could all change in less than 2 weeks, just like it has for PCs, PMPs, smartphones and tablets.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Ah, the Mac Pro; I think that’s what I’m not remembering.

And yep, that’s really the only way to go. However, you run into a completely new set of problems when you do that. With the iPhone, they showed a hobbled-together prototype that could only move through its software on a “golden path”. And then there were six months of downtime for competitors.

But i think that the Mac Pro is even the opposite here. No one else in the workstation part of the industry in their right minds would have copied Apple’s designs–not a one of them believes in it! Apple could have built the Mac Pro early and had it out in 2013 without worrying about competitors stealing it.

Psst- guess what was made and assembled in the US?

That could also be a key reason.