Apple's 'iPhone 6' to supposedly incorporate NFC, new secure enclave for mobile payments

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    In the last few weeks, all of the high-end retailers in the SF Bay area have strangely begun to focus their point-of-purchase devices (the things that you swipe your card through) towards NFC. The on-screen messages are directing users towards NFC, tapping the phone, etc.

So NFC in the iPhone is undeniably imminent.
  • Reply 22 of 47

Seems to me that if this info on a secure enclave is true, then Apple has just painted a big bull's-eye on the iPhone 6. Hackers will go after it even if just for bragging rights. Still, Apple does pretty well in the security area and I dare say any hack will probably require physical access to the phone.

• Reply 23 of 47
    addicted44 wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic? None of Gruber's little birdies have ever been wrong.

Am I ever not?
    Tell you what: any time I'm being serious, I'll add a hint at the end, a slash followed by s for serious, like this: /s
  • Reply 24 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    Seems to me that if this info on a secure enclave is true, then Apple has just painted a big bull's-eye on the iPhone 6. Hackers will go after it even if just for bragging rights. Still, Apple does pretty well in the security area and I dare say any hack will probably require physical access to the phone.

It's been a year and I haven't heard about anyone being able to break into the secure enclave. Even if they were able to do by having the device, it's certainly much safer than having a wallet where your full name, expiration date, CCV number and full CC number is printed directly on the card. In that time it would take them to access that info (assuming they had a way) you could wipe the device, or at least cancel your cards.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    I saw one of those NFC terminals you're supposed to kind of wave your card at...once. Years and years ago. At a Jack-in-the-Box, I think. It was gathering dust. I have never, ever, ever, e v e r seen any kind of NFC device used. Ever. NFC is a technology whose time has come and gone, without ever coming. It probably peaked 3 or 4 years ago, if a "peak" that doesn't even move the meter can be called a peak. Yeah, yeah, yeah...Japan, blah, blah, blah...newsflash: This ain't Japan. Sticking an NFC chip in the iPhone just because it's one of the meaningless bullet points Fandroids like to check off would be silly.
  • Reply 26 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's been a year and I haven't heard about anyone being able to break into the secure enclave.

• True, but won't the new enclave have a lot more information, mainly credit cards, maybe bank info?

Even if they were able to do by having the device, it's certainly much safer than having a wallet where your full name, expiration date, CCV number and full CC number is printed directly on the card.

• Absolutely!

In that time it would take them to access that info (assuming they had a way) you could wipe the device, or at least cancel your cards.

• I was thinking how cool it would be if the phone could detect someone messing with the internal parts (e.g. disconnecting the battery, etc.) and it auto-destructs the information.

• Reply 27 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    True, but won't the new enclave have a lot more information, mainly credit cards, maybe bank info?

1) CC and debit info I can see, but not general bank info since that's not what we use to make purchases.

2) I wonder if it's better to store specific card into on the device or use a referential value that can check with Apple's servers for the purchase so even if your device is completely compromised you actual card data is still safe. This would mean having the card data in Apple's cloud which i don't think is better than the secure enclave.
    I was thinking how cool it would be if the phone could detect someone messing with the internal parts (e.g. disconnecting the battery, etc.) and it auto-destructs the information.

I've read that even the actual Touch ID sensor is unique so you can't simply swap one out for another so I could see that as being a feature. I'm going to say they won't be able to incorporate that but I'd definitely like to see it.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    I understood Gruber's comments to be sarcastic -particularly the point about only being able to use one of the new iPhones for any kind of payment system.

Without support for the older devices Apple wouldn't have a large enough install base to persuade any retailers etc. to get on board.

Or maybe I'm wrong. It's all so confusing.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Another enclave?  The A8 is turning into India-Bangladesh.

• Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I saw one of those NFC terminals you're supposed to kind of wave your card at...once. Years and years ago. At a Jack-in-the-Box, I think. It was gathering dust. I have never, ever, ever, e v e r seen any kind of NFC device used. Ever. NFC is a technology whose time has come and gone, without ever coming. It probably peaked 3 or 4 years ago, if a "peak" that doesn't even move the meter can be called a peak. Yeah, yeah, yeah...Japan, blah, blah, blah...newsflash: This ain't Japan. Sticking an NFC chip in the iPhone just because it's one of the meaningless bullet points Fandroids like to check off would be silly.

Seriously? Where do you live? In Vancouver there are more such terminals every day. They're awesome! Just tap your card and walk away. No PIN required under a certain limit -- a couple hundred bucks for me, may vary by customer or card issuer, I don't know. The bank covers me if someone steals or compromises the card.

• Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Seriously? Where do you live? In Vancouver there are more such terminals every day. They're awesome! Just tap your card and walk away. No PIN required under a certain limit -- a couple hundred bucks for me, may vary by customer or card issuer, I don't know. The bank covers me if someone steals or compromises the card.

They're becoming more popular here in the UK but the payment limit is pretty low, something like £30. They have them at the petrol station I go to, but thanks to our ridiculously high fuel prices you can't fill your tank for less than the limit.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At the time [2012], Schiller said Passbook covered the bases for consumers.

Could be, but a product with such an incredibly narrow scope and even narrower customer awareness isn't what I'd call a "win" for iPhone owners.

Seriously, outside of a few regulars on this forum, how many people do you know who even know what Passbook is, what it does, and how it works? I'm mentally going through a list of people I know, looking for those I think are likely to be familiar with Passbook. I come up with zero, and lots of those people are not only very tech-aware but are also voracious mobile device consumers.

Maybe Passbook will evolve, but at this point, despite Apple's efforts to bring value to it, it doesn't seem to be much more than a novelty for the majority of users (IMHO, of course).

• Reply 33 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I've used Passbok twice, once for a cinema ticket, and once for an Apple Gift Card, and the experience was petty good, but in it's current form it has niche appeal.

Checking the Apps For Passbook area of the App Store, it's dominated by travel, and mainly airways, so frequent flyers probably get a lot of use out of it, but the majority aren't frequent flyers.

• Reply 34 of 47
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

NFC is extremely common here. More terminals have them than not. There's a limit to payment but beyond that limit, you're asked to enter your pin.

We've just progressed to pin only, you're unable to sign transactions anymore. NFC is the next step and I expect it to be ubiquitous here soon rather than later.

Australia btw.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
  • Reply 36 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Attention-grabbing dudes like John Gruber are really sad pricks.  They know next-to-nothing but are always opening their big yaps and standing on their little soapbox trying to draw a crowd.  If he's got anything to say about mobile payments, he should wait until Apple introduces it on the iPhone.  The rumor-mongers are rather pathetic.

Sounds like you dumped AAPL at the bottom and missed the rise to all time highs. Poor you.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    djsherly wrote: »
    NFC is extremely common here. More terminals have them than not. There's a limit to payment but beyond that limit, you're asked to enter your pin.

We've just progressed to pin only, you're unable to sign transactions anymore. NFC is the next step and I expect it to be ubiquitous here soon rather than later.

Australia btw.

NFC may still have problems finding acceptance in the US, especially since recent data intrusions such as the one at Target is still fresh in the minds of the public.

Personally, any place (other than online, obviously) that will not take cash I will refuse to patronize. Cash is still the fastest anonymous way to shop. I don't want my every living and breathing moment recorded to benefit a seller or advertiser, TBH.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

In DFW they are all over the place.  Not sure where you live.  So I disagree completely.

Where I do agree- is that I never see them being used.  And the reason you haven't ever seen them used?  Apple hasn't put one in the iPhone.  The day they do that, the day you'll see it used all the time.

Then we'll hear the typical android call of "We could do that 4 years ago".  And our retort will be "ya- but no one did or cared".  Both of which will be true.

• Reply 39 of 47
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    metal?

The new phone will be made of transparent aluminum
  • Reply 40 of 47
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

omg some used the U word. Instant death to the heathen...