New photos purport to show near-final 'iPhone 6' rear shell, cover glass

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
With the launch of Apple's next-generation iPhone less than two weeks away, a new set of photos that emerged on Friday offer a look at what is said to be a near-final rear shell and cover glass elements for the forthcoming handset.

The pictured components look almost identical to previous leaks and appear to be for a 4.7-inch device. They first appeared on Chinese web forum Wei Feng, where the original poster made no claims as to their provenance.

The shell itself features a series of seemingly plastic "ribbons" that surround its upper and lower extremes, where glass would normally be found on an iPhone 5 or 5s. The strips are closer in color to the metal than they have been in previous leaks, suggesting that they may remain in the final version.

It is unclear whether the ribbons are meant to act as radio-transparent covers for the handset's antenna system, or if they act as insulators of some kind. At least one previous rumor suggested that the design was not final, and the ribbons denoted areas that would be replaced with glass in the final model.

The bottom sports holes for a headphone jack, microphone, and Lightning port, alongside a redesigned speaker grille made of six large openings. The sides feature cutouts for the volume rockers, silent switch, SIM tray, and relocated power button.

The cover glass, meanwhile, maintains the same openings for a FaceTime camera and proximity sensor as previous iPhones. It appears to taper along the edge, matching up with previous leaks.

Apple is expected to announce the 4.7-inch device at an event on Sept. 9, perhaps alongside the hotly-anticipated iWatch. AppleInsider will be on hand at the event and will bring live coverage from Cupertino's Flint Center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    not liking those bands
    I'm reserving judgement for the announcement. The leaks never look as good as the real thing. It will all make sense come 9.9 and Schiller is on stage announcing the new phone.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    Antenna cuts look a little less ugly with that toned down color, but they're still ugly to me...
  • Reply 3 of 105

I do not like the bands either. I could understand if there were used for water proofing, impact mitigation but from the inside of the case you cannot see them so they appear to be purely decorative (sigh, ugly). With all the gaping holes i do not see this phone to be a waterproof - too bad my cheapo pebble watch is... so the technology is there. We shell see...

• Reply 4 of 105
    It's official. The word purport and all its tenses have been killed by Appleinsider.
  • Reply 5 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's official. The word purport and all its tenses have been killed by Appleinsider.

Purportedly... ????
  • Reply 6 of 105
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I don't mind the bands now, but I think they would look much better if they were made with radio-transparent liquid-metal instead of plastic.

Also I wish the side bezels on the front glass were thinner.

Overall, though, this is a fresh new look for the iPhone and I'm glad Apple didn't use glass inserts again. Everyone will have to get used to this new design.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Whoever comments about the babds being ugly is a dic.k
  • Reply 8 of 105
    Leakers: last chance to earn your industrial espionage bonus cash! Hurry up and leak, you greedy bastards. Because in two weeks, no website will pay for these photos.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    HTC has a handset with those bands. I guess it could be made at the same factory.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Leakers: last chance to earn your industrial espionage bonus cash! Hurry up and leak, you greedy bastards. Because in two weeks, no website will pay for these photos.

You don't think they're ready with parts and photos of a purported iPhone 6.5 or iPhone 7?

• Reply 11 of 105
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

not liking those bands

These bands are very strange. They almost look as some plastic to peel off – and I would like to peel it off ...

• Reply 12 of 105
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

I do not like the bands either. I could understand if there were used for water proofing, impact mitigation but from the inside of the case you cannot see them so they appear to be purely decorative (sigh, ugly). With all the gaping holes i do not see this phone to be a waterproof - too bad my cheapo pebble watch is... so the technology is there. We shell see...

I couldn't care less about the bands.

I also couldn't care less about waterproofing.

Guess this is the device for me!

• Reply 13 of 105

Purportedly... ????

They nailed "provenance" tho ...
  • Reply 14 of 105
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I DO wonder however what the bands are made out of....given their location on the top and bottom....they look to be in a position that could bear the brunt of impacts....and if they are indeed plastic....crack or chip severely. I really hope this does not become like the iPhone 5's terrible chamfered edge which exposes sharp raw metal with smallest of dents.

• Reply 15 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Geesh...AI, get some bandwidth or learn how to make thumbnails.

Also reexport those png on the top you can save about 90% file size
  • Reply 16 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ismofam wrote: »

Or it could be for inductive charging, NFC, and/or other functional reasons we haven't yet figured out. I think the least likely answer is "purely decorative."
  • Reply 17 of 105
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

not liking those bands

I think this is the first time I'm able to agree with you.  I had hoped that the bands were 'placeholders' for the glass windows like the 5s.  It isn't a dealbreaker, though.

• Reply 18 of 105

We can be certain the bands of "bandgate" infamy will be filled with used chewing gum . . . that is radioactive, highly toxic, and which when it loosens, causes the top and bottom parts of iPhone 6 to fall off, rendering the whole thing unusable. 

OMG, what has Jony Ive been drinking lately?!!

• Reply 19 of 105
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Man, that phone is ridiculously thin.  Love it.

Also- until you hold something in your hand and see it in person- you really shouldnt judge the appearance too harshly.

• Reply 20 of 105
    sog35 wrote: »
    not liking those bands
    I can live with it. I'm more concerned about camera bulge.