Alleged 'iPhone 6' NFC chip and working hardware shown in latest leaks

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
A series of photos of a component that appears to be a logic board bound for Apple's next-generation iPhone appeared Friday, bearing a small chip -- said to be an NFC controller from NXP -- that professes to confirm the feature's presence in the so-called "iPhone 6." In addition, a new video of assembled parts seems to show a fully functional unit, though it won't boot past the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

The chip does not sport a manufacturer's name or mark. Instead, it bears only identification code "NSD425" alongside miscellaneous other numbers, likely batch identifiers, according to the photos published by blogger Sonny Dickson.

No such chip can be found among NXP's offerings, but Apple often works with silicon vendors to produce bespoke components. The Dutch firm was named late Thursday by the Financial Times as the supplier of Apple's NFC hardware.

Also present is a chip that seems to be Apple's "A8" processor. The package is noticeably smaller than its predecessor, the A7, allowing for a more tightly-packed logic board.

Other identifiable chips on the board are two Avago RF modules -- Avago is a longtime supplier of such chips for Apple -- and a Toshiba NAND module.

Separately, Feld & Volk posted a new video on Friday with a purported "iPhone 6" assembled from parts the company obtained. The video shows their attempts to turn on the device, being greeted with the "Connect to iTunes" screen and unable to boot further.

The screen shows Apple's current iTunes for OS X Mavericks logo, rather than the new red logo found in OS X Yosemite. If what the video shows is indeed legitimate, it would suggest that the hardware has an older version of iOS 8 installed, as the latest beta updated the "Connect to iTunes" screen to display the OS X Yosemite logo for the iTunes desktop suite.

Apple is expected to either confirm or deny all of the details on its forthcoming handset at a media event in Cupertino on Sept. 9. AppleInsider will be at the event and will bring live coverage from inside the theatre.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member
    That's a Samsung!
  • Reply 2 of 102
    Uhhh... Worst. iPhone. Ever
  • Reply 3 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[video]

That is one sexy piece of kit. I absolutely love the front of it. Slightly curved glass at the edges–all the way to the edges–and then the Home Button beginning to blend into the face.

...because you are not connected to the Internet...

And a good thing, too. It’d phone home and whoever this is would be arrested.

Seems odd that the representation of colors on the screen would be so different between the models. Maybe one just had its backlight turned down.

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Uhhh... Worst. iPhone. Ever

Speaking of Simpsons references, “Ralph” as in the kid who drinks paste? Take your FUD and shove it.

• Reply 4 of 102
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Hmmm. There's something about it that looks blob like.
  • Reply 5 of 102

You have short memory. This is still an Apple look, regardless if Samsung copied it.

• Reply 6 of 102
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I'm not totally up to speed on all of these technologies; but wasn't it argued earlier on that Apple would not be going with NFC for this type of thing? Opting for iBeacon, or some other type of technology?
    In any case, I'm sure they will use whatever is most advantageous for them to use.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Speaking of Simpsons references, “Ralph” as in the kid who drinks paste? Take your FUD and shove it.

I was being sarcastic. I was trying pre-empt all the "why those ugly bands" and "the phone isn't flat" comments.

I forgot to write /s.

• Reply 8 of 102
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Sorry, I just can't see how they will release this device with a protruding lens.
    (remaining skeptical)
  • Reply 9 of 102
    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

I was being sarcastic. I forgot to write /s.

Apologies, then. Do try to remember it next time; we get an awful lot of people who believe (“believe”) the strangest things. ????

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Sorry, I just can't see how they will release this device with a protruding lens.

Same way they released the iPod touch with a protruding lens. If it means better image quality than it would have otherwise had, there’s no reason to complain. You don’t complain that your camera has a protruding lens! I’d have been fine had they just made the entire thing thicker to compensate for the laws of physics, but I’m used to an iPhone 0.46” thick.

• Reply 10 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems odd that the representation of colors on the screen would be so different between the models. Maybe one just had its backlight turned down.

I haven't really kept track of what I've read as rumors and what I've read as user wishes... somewhere in there "brighter screen" came up. Maybe this is it?

• Reply 11 of 102
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Maybe this is it?

Hmm. I don’t like that it would modify the color, though.

• Reply 12 of 102
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    "The chip does not sport a manufacturer's name or mark."

Umm, doesn't the chip have an 'NXP' on the left hand side, reading upwards?
  • Reply 13 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    MacRumors has a story claiming the A8 chip for the new iPhone only has 1GB RAM. Is it really that expensive to bump it up to 2GB?
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

MacRumors has a story claiming the A8 chip for the new iPhone only has 1GB RAM. Is it really that expensive to bump it up to 2GB?

That would be very disappointing but I think the main reason they don't promptly increase memory size is because the bigger the memory the more it consumes power.

• Reply 15 of 102
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chromos View Post

"The chip does not sport a manufacturer's name or mark."

Umm, doesn't the chip have an 'NXP' on the left hand side, reading upwards?

Haha.  It certainly does.  Good catch.  How did AppleInsider miss that?!!!

• Reply 16 of 102

Like or dislike. There is one thing you need to remember. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT.

I buy the newest every year and if they make two iPhone sizes, I will own both.

• Reply 17 of 102
    s!kes!ke Posts: 28member
    I totally agree with Bobschlob. It was the first thing I noticed.
    I highly doubt Apple would release this without a flush lens.

As well as the ugly rubber looking "seams"? Will this be waterproof? Are they seals? Surely they could design it better for that.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    Originally Posted by s!ke View Post

As well as the ugly rubber looking "seams"? Will this be waterproof? Are they seals? Surely they could design it better for that.

IT’S. A. PHONE. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten the false antenna debacle.

• Reply 19 of 102
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    go faster wrote: »
    Like or dislike. There is one thing you need to remember. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT.

I buy the newest every year and if they make two iPhone sizes, I will own both.

Actually, yes I do [have to buy it].

But I won't be buying two sizes simultaneously. Seems a bit, how shall I say, unnecessary. Seems more pragmatic to make an actual decision and move on. I don't think I want to emulate Steve Wozniac, who carries 10 phones because he thinks they are all "pretty".
  • Reply 20 of 102
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

(remaining skeptical)

I will honestly say that I haven't messed with any of those iPhone external lenses that are available out there, but would the protruding lens better enable a host of external lenses that can better align by 'clicking' over the small extrusion and maybe magnetically stay in place?  Could this be a reason for the protruding?